Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2022, 06:46:00 AMI'm still silently rooting for Penny Mordaunt if only because she has a surname that seems out of a villain in an Arthurian legend, coupled with "Penny".

Would it help if she went by Penelope instead?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 21, 2022, 07:27:32 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 21, 2022, 06:46:00 AMI'm still silently rooting for Penny Mordaunt if only because she has a surname that seems out of a villain in an Arthurian legend, coupled with "Penny".

I always think she has the look of a villainous PM in an episode of Dr Who. Which makes me like her more than I would otherwise :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

God willing:

:mmm:

It's not going to happen, but I love that GB News' pollster consistently gives the worst results for the Tories :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

I was no BoJo fan but I frankly found his downfall to be one of those weird things that highlights how despite similar language and a lot of cultural exchange, Britain and America are fundamentally very different. Someone elected with such a massive electoral mandate being hounded out of office over what would not even be a scandal in the United States ( a gathering in the White House of friends and colleagues.)

alfred russel

It is way too early to say that the tories really collapse, but if they do, it would be another breakdown of the old center right and center left parties in europe.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 21, 2022, 07:36:16 AMI was no BoJo fan but I frankly found his downfall to be one of those weird things that highlights how despite similar language and a lot of cultural exchange, Britain and America are fundamentally very different. Someone elected with such a massive electoral mandate being hounded out of office over what would not even be a scandal in the United States ( a gathering in the White House of friends and colleagues.)

You truly did not pay attention then if you think that's what happened.

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on October 21, 2022, 07:39:27 AMIt is way too early to say that the tories really collapse, but if they do, it would be another breakdown of the old center right and center left parties in europe.

Labour at least leadership-wise is pretty centrist at the moment. They are post-collapse in that regard.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2022, 07:45:04 AMLabour at least leadership-wise is pretty centrist at the moment. They are post-collapse in that regard.
But it gets to the other stage of the cycle - 2010-2020 was all about PASOKification and the decline of the traditional centre-left. They generally seem to have stabilised across Europe and are winning back power in some places, with a couple of big exceptions (Italy and France especially).

In recent elections we've seen a similar decline/crisis on the traditional parties of the centre-right. I think there's an argument that this is the latest version of that and the UK is on the same trend as the rest of Europe - but, as you say, largely because of our voting system, despite the worst fears, Labour weren't PASOKified (and chances are the Tories won't be either).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2022, 07:29:12 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 21, 2022, 07:27:32 AM

I always think she has the look of a villainous PM in an episode of Dr Who. Which makes me like her more than I would otherwise :lol:

I don't expect you to talk, Mr. Bond...

:ph34r:

The Minsky Moment

I agree with sheilbh that Americans are not well placed in their glass house to throw stones.  Yes the Truss situation is comic and we can all have our laughs but their system worked.  It's working in a slapdash way with the Yakety Sax theme playing in the background but it's still working. Whereas our system is faltering as one of the two main parties increasingly opts out of democracy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2022, 07:44:11 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 21, 2022, 07:36:16 AMI was no BoJo fan but I frankly found his downfall to be one of those weird things that highlights how despite similar language and a lot of cultural exchange, Britain and America are fundamentally very different. Someone elected with such a massive electoral mandate being hounded out of office over what would not even be a scandal in the United States ( a gathering in the White House of friends and colleagues.)

It's not that we didn't pay attention.  It's that it literally would not crack the top 25 Trump scandals.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2022, 08:09:18 AMI agree with sheilbh that Americans are not well placed in their glass house to throw stones.  Yes the Truss situation is comic and we can all have our laughs but their system worked.  It's working in a slapdash way with the Yakety Sax theme playing in the background but it's still working. Whereas our system is faltering as one of the two main parties increasingly opts out of democracy.
I think public opinion is really key here - it moves in the UK. Tory and Labour voters' opinion moves in the same direction in response to news stories even if they start at different levels and move at different paces.

The contrast of Trump's approval rating v Johnson's (Truss' premiership was too short to get a chart :lol:) is really striking (via Brian Klaas):

The sharp drop after July 2020 is the story about Dominic Cummings breaking covid rules. The one in November 2021 is Owen Paterson plus partygate. Both of those permanently shift the range of Johnson's approval rating - but then you can still see slight recoveries in early 2021 (vaccines) and 2022 (Ukraine). It's linked to events. Often farcical but I think, fundamentally, quite healthy moves in people's opinions.

Looking at the Trump chart despite the literally thousands of news stories and events, I couldn't place any of them and none of them seem to have mattered a great deal.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2022, 08:10:44 AM

It's not that we didn't pay attention.  It's that it literally would not crack the top 25 Trump scandals.

But again, that is the strength of the parliamentary system. Trump levels of depravity are not required for removal.

celedhring

I'm still amazed that 2 months after being ousted he may just waltz back like nothing happened  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 21, 2022, 06:38:04 AMYeah I agree especially from a left-wing perspective I'm delighted and a little bit concerned.

There was a novel written by a Bennite MP and then made into a BBC drama called A Very British Coup. It was basically about a left-wing, Bennite politicians being elected and then removed very quickly by British business making market turmoil and the CIA pitching to the moderate wing. It wasn't quite that but having a leader defenestrated by bond markets is not great - I think it is, as Minsky, said a Suez moment.

The whole thing reminded me a bit of the Eurozone crisis actually. The cycle of announcing something, markets panicking, at great political cost making some concessions to reality but that not being enough for the markets - rinse and repeat etc. But for very good reasons in the current context the central bank can't commit to "whatever it takes" because their mandate is to get inflation down.

I actually see this as quite encouraging.
If a far left leader came to power that the markets would destroy them is something I've always just accepted as a fact. The game is rigged and all that.
But here we have the markets ousting somebody for being too eager to lube up the country for them. My expectation before hand would have been that the markets would love this kind of disaster politics trash, as much as it ruins the country.
██████
██████
██████