Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

I saw a bit (the free bit) and comments of a piece in Telegraph suggesting that Government was playing 4D chess after all with Cummings. Seems like theory is government wanted to get economy going again but knew their messaging had been too effective and people were afraid to leave home. So to undermine that policy, they leaked the Cummings story so that people would be less likely to view strict measures as necessary and would be ready to go back into the world as the Government phases that in.

:tinfoil:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 03:08:53 AM
I saw a bit (the free bit) and comments of a piece in Telegraph suggesting that Government was playing 4D chess after all with Cummings. Seems like theory is government wanted to get economy going again but knew their messaging had been too effective and people were afraid to leave home. So to undermine that policy, they leaked the Cummings story so that people would be less likely to view strict measures as necessary and would be ready to go back into the world as the Government phases that in.

That is even more ridiculous than when they are trying to find the masterplan behind Trump's idiocy.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 03:08:53 AM

I think that was by Michael Deacon, their sketchwriter.

QuoteSounds like they still won't introduce 20th century technology to handle voting in the Commons, they will just queue around the whole building instead of a single lobby.
I am furious about this. I get the view from the government that they cannot start to ask people to go to work while MPs are still working remotely. But Parliament's a dangerous space (confined space with lots of people talking) that should be very strictly limited. And more importantly there are a number of MPs who have pre-existing conditions or are in their 70s or older who will not be able to attend and vote.

I get the message they want to send, I think the message they will send is they're opening an unsafe workplace. Luckily I think MPs have a vote on working procedures and from what I understand a lot of them are very unhappy with changing it.

Edit: And, as I say, I get the message they're trying to send but I think the better message would be about if you can work from home you should.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Parliament reopening is transparently about Johnsons political need of the baying mob to mask his inadequacies.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on May 31, 2020, 11:56:09 AM
Parliament reopening is transparently about Johnsons political need of the baying mob to mask his inadequacies.
Yeah I don't buy that - they'll still be socially distancing. So you'll have what a max of 50 MPs in the chamber. It won't make a difference.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Second scientific advisor asked if the rules apply to everyone:
"Absolutely. I thought his exposure of what he felt was exactly right [Johnathan van Tam's comments], we usually say exactly the same things because we think in public health terms, and I think that's right. From my own perspective, I can assure you that on a matter of personal and professional integrity, I will always try to follow the rules, as I know he does.

"The important thing there is that they are all rules for all of us, and it is really important as we go through into this next critical phase that we do all follow them to the best of our ability, and even minimise some of the freedoms that are there."
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 31, 2020, 02:18:18 PM
Second scientific advisor asked if the rules apply to everyone:
"Absolutely. I thought his exposure of what he felt was exactly right [Johnathan van Tam's comments], we usually say exactly the same things because we think in public health terms, and I think that's right. From my own perspective, I can assure you that on a matter of personal and professional integrity, I will always try to follow the rules, as I know he does.

"The important thing there is that they are all rules for all of us, and it is really important as we go through into this next critical phase that we do all follow them to the best of our ability, and even minimise some of the freedoms that are there."

Wow he didn't take prisoners did he!

:P

Sheilbh

So amid the news of the Trump wanting to invite Putin to the G7 (they discussed it againtoday), the PM's spokesman has stated the UK would strongly oppose it. While Trump as host can invite whoever he wants, the UK is very adamant that Russia won't be readmitted into the G7/G8.

Given that one of the biggest concerns I've had about Brexit was that we'd basically end up rather supine towards China and/or the US, the last week has been surprising and a bit reassuring.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I think the non-American G7 will skip this year.  They have a perfect excuse and they really don't want to deal with whatever political fallout they could face from inviting Putin.  It's clear Trump wants some sort of joint condemnation from China but I doubt the Euros are all that interested in that.  I think the plan now is just to wait and hope Trump is beaten in November.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2020, 05:45:53 PM
So amid the news of the Trump wanting to invite Putin to the G7 (they discussed it againtoday), the PM's spokesman has stated the UK would strongly oppose it. While Trump as host can invite whoever he wants, the UK is very adamant that Russia won't be readmitted into the G7/G8.

Given that one of the biggest concerns I've had about Brexit was that we'd basically end up rather supine towards China and/or the US, the last week has been surprising and a bit reassuring.

I'm skeptical they'll follow through with it.

If could be they are just saying this now so they can change their mind in exchange for some other favour from the US.
Lest we forget Johnson owes a lot to Russia too.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

QuoteAn artificial intelligence firm hired to work on the Vote Leave campaign may analyse social media data, utility bills and credit rating scores as part of a £400,000 contract to help the government deal with the coronavirus pandemic.

The company, Faculty, was awarded the contract by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government last month. However the full details of its work for the government are unknown because the published version of the contract was partly redacted.

The disclosure comes amid questions from civil liberties groups as to how private companies hired by the government during the pandemic are using confidential personal data.

The unredacted portion of the contract shows that the MHCLG said such work was likely to require data from "social media, utility providers and telecom bills, credit rating agencies" as well as from the government, but provides few other specifics.

It brings the number of government contracts awarded to Faculty to at least nine in the last two years. The contracts in total are worth at least £1.6m.

:cheers:

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Re the new absurd, farcical voting method in the Commons (the Lords are zooming into the future and have gone full digital/remote :lol:), I feel the Telegraph's subs have earned a drink:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

QuoteThe Bank of England has said it is looking at "a number of outcomes" including a no-deal Brexit scenario, following reports its governor, Andrew Bailey, has told banks and lenders to prepare for the transition period to end without agreement. Bailey said during a call with bank chief executives that they should accelerate planning for the outcome, according to Sky News.

:showoff: