Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on October 30, 2019, 10:45:28 AM
I was going to start a new thread for peoples GE predictions, but since the election will be largely about Brexit, despite what Corbyn says, I think it's just best to fold the election debate into this one.

So people what's your predicted election result?

I think the Tories will have a 20-30 seat majority, probably nearer 20 than up at 30.  <_<

I'm predicting Labour and the Tories both lose seats, with the Tories managing to offset some of these losses elsewhere but overall slightly dropping.
SNP uber alles in Scotland and huge Lib Dem gains in the south.

Huge fingers crossed the sane folk and the Republicans in Northern Ireland can work something out.

The one bright spot in this election is it'll be end of Corbyn's 'leadership', unless labour is so cut down that a momentum controlled rump is all that remains?
This I wouldn't see.
Nobody decent is going to stick their head above the ramparts to challenge Corbyn until the current brexit mess is largely done....So we're largely just on Corbyn death watch.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Amateur UK political watcher that I am, and if the election turns out to be as many predict, no clear majority and a muddled mess as it is now, I think that means zombie-Corbyn will still be hanging around Labour's neck like a millstone.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2019, 04:00:45 PM
Amateur UK political watcher that I am, and if the election turns out to be as many predict, no clear majority and a muddled mess as it is now, I think that means zombie-Corbyn will still be hanging around Labour's neck like a millstone.
Unless he does well again I don't think so. He's old and doesn't like the job and I think the hard left feel they've done enough to cement their position in the party for him to annoint a successor. Though, interestingly, the soft left and centre left are doing pretty well in candidate selections (so far).

Obviously this is why they're being released, and query how accurate they are, but based on these constituency polls that are out there, I'd be feeling very chipper if I were a Lib Dem.

Also saw a few clips doing the rounds of Tory ministers and MPs being confronted on lots of spending issues/public services. Which does reinforce the point that this is an unpopular government in its 9th year - I'm not sure they'll be able to just make it a Brexit election.

Similarly struck by the fact that Johnson is the first Tory leader I've seen who is out-performed by Corbyn. It was something I thought during the Tory leadership campaign. I think the Tories think (and hope) Johnson is a good campaigner and communicator, but it seems like he's a decent writer and after-dinner speaker. I'm not convinced he's good at: speeches, TV interviews, debates, or Parliament. Which is a limited range for a party leader in 2019 :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2019, 04:15:59 PM
I'd be feeling very chipper if I were a Lib Dem.

Lib Dems are always chipper

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2019, 04:29:17 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2019, 04:15:59 PM
I'd be feeling very chipper if I were a Lib Dem.

Lib Dems are always chipper

I know it is Gladstone, but that face would be a perfect mental fit for the Puritan "If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-for-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone".  :D

(His actual portrait: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Barbon#/media/File:Nicholas_Barbon.jpg )
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zanza

Fitting the season:

Sheilbh

Biggest line at Labour campaign launch:
"We will stop them. Labour won't let Donald Trump get his hands on our National Health Service. It's not for sale, to him or anyone."
Crowd chants: "Not for sale! Not for sale!"

I think post-Brexit could be a very potent attack line.
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 31, 2019, 07:08:50 AM
Biggest line at Labour campaign launch:
"We will stop them. Labour won't let Donald Trump get his hands on our National Health Service. It's not for sale, to him or anyone."
Crowd chants: "Not for sale! Not for sale!"

I think post-Brexit could be a very potent attack line.

It seems to have been a constant rallying cry since I have set foot on the island, at least, so I imagine it goes back much further.

While I have no doubt that some politicians, and especially the present despicable lot in the government would gladly privatise the NHS for all the sweet "lobbying" money that would yield them, is this REALLY a clear present danger?

The NHS is held in an almost religious reverence in this country, even a partial disbanding of it surely would mean instant political suicide to anyone attempting it. I just can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to try.

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 31, 2019, 09:08:21 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2019, 04:35:20 PM
(His actual portrait: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Barbon#/media/File:Nicholas_Barbon.jpg )

Not his actual portrait.

I just pulled it off of Wikimedia. Why is it not his actual portrait? Genuinely curious - I know nothing more about him. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2019, 10:00:37 AM

It seems to have been a constant rallying cry since I have set foot on the island, at least, so I imagine it goes back much further.

While I have no doubt that some politicians, and especially the present despicable lot in the government would gladly privatise the NHS for all the sweet "lobbying" money that would yield them, is this REALLY a clear present danger?

The NHS is held in an almost religious reverence in this country, even a partial disbanding of it surely would mean instant political suicide to anyone attempting it. I just can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to try.

Sacred cow are there to be slaughtered?

Or at least by the barbarians at the gates of power?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2019, 10:07:47 AM
I just pulled it off of Wikimedia. Why is it not his actual portrait? Genuinely curious - I know nothing more about him.

From the style alone (brush work, colors, composition) it is clear that this is an illustration typical of early 20th century textbooks which «re-imagined» what historical figures were like and not a Restoration era portrait.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 31, 2019, 10:21:55 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 31, 2019, 10:07:47 AM

From the style alone (brush work, colors, composition) it is clear that this is an illustration typical of early 20th century textbooks which «re-imagined» what historical figures were like and not a Restoration era portrait.

Fair enough - the source is an insurance hall of fame portrait, it is reasonable that it is modern.

Valmy

Here is his Dad Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone

He gives you side-eyes and judges you unworthy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Hamilcar

At this point, the British constitution is irrevocably broken. A revolution is needed to restore order and reliable government.