Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2019, 10:51:43 AM
Here is his Dad Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone

He gives you side-eyes and judges you unworthy.

Even that is a later etching, from the 18th century, I believe - although it is in the style of the earlier 17th century, so it may have some claims of being inspired by a lost original.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 31, 2019, 10:51:43 AM
Here is his Dad Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone

He gives you side-eyes and judges you unworthy.

You always were unworthy. You are just showing God's predestined plan that you be damned by, well, everything that you do.  :D

I still think that Gladstone pic is the perfect mental fit for a hardcore Puritan.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2019, 10:00:37 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 31, 2019, 07:08:50 AM
Biggest line at Labour campaign launch:
"We will stop them. Labour won't let Donald Trump get his hands on our National Health Service. It's not for sale, to him or anyone."
Crowd chants: "Not for sale! Not for sale!"

I think post-Brexit could be a very potent attack line.

It seems to have been a constant rallying cry since I have set foot on the island, at least, so I imagine it goes back much further.

While I have no doubt that some politicians, and especially the present despicable lot in the government would gladly privatise the NHS for all the sweet "lobbying" money that would yield them, is this REALLY a clear present danger?

The NHS is held in an almost religious reverence in this country, even a partial disbanding of it surely would mean instant political suicide to anyone attempting it. I just can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to try.

Yes.
It would be political suicide for the Tories to say outright that they want to sell the NHS. But they realised some time ago they have to be smarter than that and are currently in the process of subjecting it  to piecemeal privatisation and death by 1000 cuts.

I don't see the NHS literally ceasing to exist any time soon. But being devolved to a level where anyone on more than minimum wage has to get health insurance to stand a chance of seeing a doctor within a month of falling ill? Definitely.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

The Tories' campaign slogan is "Britain Deserves Better"; they have been in government for 9 years now and I can heartily endorse their slogan.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 31, 2019, 12:58:33 PM
The Tories' campaign slogan is "Britain Deserves Better"; they have been in government for 9 years now and I can heartily endorse their slogan.

Yeah the Republicans do this shit to. Despite dominating almost every layer of government since 2010 they continually position themselves as the insurgents against the establishment.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Donald Trump is on Nigel Farage's dial-in radio show to confirm the NHS is safe. I'm not sure this will help Johnson :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Apparently there's a big argument going on within the brexit party on whether to play tactical and avoid challenging the more extremist tories or to compete for everything.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 31, 2019, 10:00:37 AM
While I have no doubt that some politicians, and especially the present despicable lot in the government would gladly privatise the NHS for all the sweet "lobbying" money that would yield them, is this REALLY a clear present danger?

The NHS is held in an almost religious reverence in this country, even a partial disbanding of it surely would mean instant political suicide to anyone attempting it. I just can't imagine anyone being stupid enough to try.
Agreed-ish.

Part of this is from the US Ambassador saying the NHS is on the table. Also the US Trade Representative's objectives:
QuoteProcedural Fairness for Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices:-
Seek standards to ensure that government regulatory reimbursement regimes are transparent, provide procedural fairness, are nondiscriminatory, and provide full market access for U.S. products.

And the secret meetings between the UK Department for International Trade and representatives of US pharma companies. The government have said price regulations aren't subject to negotiations, but they are discussing "value innovations" :lol: :weep:

Which is the real risk to the NHS, US companies don't want to get into government contracts for the NHS - it's not very high value. But the NHS depends on pricing controls and fairly centralised negotiations. Without that it's bankrupt.

Edit:
Meanwhile Corbyn's already turned the Trump call into a social media clip :lol:
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1189965486638981121?s=20
QuoteDonald Trump is trying to interfere in Britain's election to get his friend Boris Johnson elected.

It was Trump who said in June the NHS is "on the table". And he knows if Labour wins US corporations won't get their hands on it.

Our NHS is not for sale.

And Johnson had his first awkward encounter with the public at a hospital. Not full blown "do you know what it's like to clean up your mother's piss" but I do feel it's only a matter of time for him :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Aww, I wanna re-watch that episode now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Looks like Farage is going to split the brexit vote :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50261647

"Nigel Farage has called on Boris Johnson to ditch his Brexit deal and "build a Leave alliance".

At the launch of the Brexit Party's election campaign, the leader said bringing the parties together was "the only way" forward.

But he warned Mr Johnson that if he turned down his offer, the party would field candidates in "every single seat" in England, Scotland and Wales.

The Conservatives have consistently ruled out a formal pact with the party."

Excellent  :cool:

Sheilbh

I feel like at least a tiny part of this is how much Farage (and the ERG) hate Cummings, who hates them right back :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, a lot of titanic egos in this election........or complete twats as they are more often called  :P

Farage just wants a total break it seems; even if going for that risks letting the remainers get their way.

Sheilbh

I feel even that's too kind. His ego rules so much that he'd rather risk Brexit than miss out on his 27th attempt to become an MP :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I wonder on that.
Farage does have an excellent career going as an uber establishment opponent of the establishment.  But not those bits.
Given his integrity I really wouldn't be surprised if he wants to see brexit happen, especially given he knows its actually a bad idea, so he can keep bringing in the millions campaigning against the EU.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on November 01, 2019, 10:12:30 AM
I wonder on that.
Farage does have an excellent career going as an uber establishment opponent of the establishment.  But not those bits.
Given his integrity I really wouldn't be surprised if he wants to see brexit happen, especially given he knows its actually a bad idea, so he can keep bringing in the millions campaigning against it.

Tyr, did you miss out another negative in that sentence?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"