Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

I have two points to make :

1. Foreign workers are 36% of Singapore's workforce.

2. "Let me be clear...." has been adopted as a useful phrase in our household. It is used preparatory to lying or obfusticate; if one is at risk of being allocated an unsavoury task it might also derail the conversation onto brexit and thus kick the task into the long grass.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 05, 2019, 02:33:31 PM
I may be there in May.

We maybe can arrange a meet then, if your plans become more firm.

Can't introduce you to Teresa though  :(

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 06, 2019, 02:26:43 AM
I have two points to make :

1. Foreign workers are 36% of Singapore's workforce.

2. "Let me be clear...." has been adopted as a useful phrase in our household. It is used preparatory to lying or obfusticate; if one is at risk of being allocated an unsavoury task it might also derail the conversation onto brexit and thus kick the task into the long grass.

:lol:

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on February 05, 2019, 01:41:01 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 05, 2019, 01:31:22 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 05, 2019, 01:18:38 PM
It's a pity Ed Anger isn't about to remind us Brits about canned goods, money buried in coffee cans and shotguns.  :(

Brexit will probably amplify my embodiment of the "overpaid" part of that famous quote about Yanks in Britain...if not the other bits.  :P

:hmm:

Don't give out your details on Languish, otherwise in 10 weeks time you'll be continually approached by starving British Languishites claiming some dubious amount of friendship with you.  :P

So long as I can still get cheese+onion pasties from Morrisons.  :licklips:

Tamas

I am really getting exhausted by reading cake-and-eat-it bloody wishlists from all British politicians.

Corbyn last day sent 5 demands to the government in order to have Corbyn vote on a deal. They amount to "we want a Brexit that equals staying".

The reply he has got from the Tories is basically "we already want a Brexit that leaves all our member privileges intact and removes all our obligations so there's no issue".

less than two months to go and the discourse still exactly as on the morning after of the referendum.

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 05, 2019, 04:13:13 PM
People voted for a free market paradise Brexit that would turn Britain into Singapore and a nationalist-populist Brexit that would turn back the clock to the jolly old days of social Britain and for a Brexit that would keep out the immigrants and for a Brexit that would still allow British people and goods to enter Europe without a fuss and so on. 

The important thing is that control is being taken back.

:blink:

Turn Britain into Singapore?  Did anybody really say that?  Do they have any idea what Singapore is really like?  Singapore is successful mainly because it is like the only place with good rule of law in the entire region. 

Tamas

The Leave coalition has two main blocks: upper class twats dreaming of a deregulated free market anarcho-capitalist England reconquering the Empire, and working class people dreaming of tariffs and tight regulations. They share the common vision of... not what is here right now.

mongers

Bored up with the parliamentary impasse?

Parliament can act fast when it need and at the point of crisis:

And what it looks like to pass a bill into law in two minutes:

:bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

I hope the crisis on 29th March will not be comparable to that of 1st September 1939...

Tamas

The strength of Britain is the quick adoption its political system can pull off in case of changing circumstances. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to go through unnecessary shocks, though.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on February 07, 2019, 12:17:50 PM
I hope the crisis on 29th March will not be comparable to that of 1st September 1939...

Well it's no small thing, I think bigger than Suez and the IMF 78 crisis in economic and social impact, it'll knock us into a cocked hat.  :bowler:

dps

Well, as a German, given how that one ultimately ended up for Germany, you should certainly have that hope.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2019, 05:08:24 PM

Well, as a German, given how that one ultimately ended up for Germany, you should certainly have that hope.

As Valmy already pointed out the US has other issues.  Third time is the charm  :D

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2019, 05:38:20 AM
I am really getting exhausted by reading cake-and-eat-it bloody wishlists from all British politicians.

Corbyn last day sent 5 demands to the government in order to have Corbyn vote on a deal. They amount to "we want a Brexit that equals staying".

The reply he has got from the Tories is basically "we already want a Brexit that leaves all our member privileges intact and removes all our obligations so there's no issue".

less than two months to go and the discourse still exactly as on the morning after of the referendum.

Nice to see a sensible view from Corbyn. Finally.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Just to contrast my post above, article 50 will have to be extended as there isn't the parliamentary time available to put through all of the necessary legislation.