Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2019, 03:19:00 PM
Every time the US puts up a score in the Retard Country Stakes, the UK digs down deep and manages to keep it close.

You said it; Trump'll need to dig deep this time. 

Our hope in this race to the bottom is that the US buffers are lots of nuclear weapons, we'll then feel justifiably smug for the last remaining 3 minutes.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2019, 04:10:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2019, 04:02:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2019, 04:01:57 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2019, 03:58:53 PM
I hope Macron vetoes an article 50 extension if it comes to that. This farce needs to end.

Yeah, I always am in favour of outcomes that will hurt people over what is tedious for me. :)

The EU will be fine.

EU citizens are the only people?

If the UK didn't want to gorge itself on stool I don't think it would have triggered Article 50.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2019, 03:58:53 PM
I hope Macron vetoes an article 50 extension if it comes to that. This farce needs to end.

Macron could indeed use some diversion right now.  :P

PS: Macron just said now pressure was (more) on the UK than on the EU

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2019, 03:50:16 PM
BBC quick interview with leave voter outside parliament. We voted on stay or leave. There was no tick box for deal.

:hmm:

Yes there was also no tick box for breathing or ingesting liquids so why are you still alive?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

The British constitution seems flawed. Not being able to combine a vote on a law with a vote of confidence means that you now have this zombie government that cannot actually govern on the most important policy of the legislative period. Even after a no deal crash, she will still not be able to govern.

Syt

The NYT has a handy info graphic about the options.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Great fun for political journalists, annoying for nearly everyone else  :huh:

I'd like there to be fewer lies in the next few weeks, a wish that is unlikely to be granted.

Tamas

QuoteNathalie Loiseau, the Europe minister, told France Inter this morning: "It's bad news, because this withdrawal agreement negotiated for nearly two years is a good agreement and the only agreement possible. It's for the British to decide what they want. We see there is no majority for this agreement, but we don't know what there IS a majority for... they want to leave the European Union to do what?"

Asked why leaving the EU was proving so difficult, Loiseau said: "A certain number of British, including British politicians, didn't realise what being a member of the EU meant." She added that there had been "massive disinformation" during the referendum campaign.

Can the agreement be renegotiated? "The text cannot be reopened especially after we've gone 17 months with all the coming and going. It's been one third of my work since I became minister, which is a bit excessive, and we have other things to do in Europe than busy ourselves with a divorce ..."

She added: "Nobody thinks a no deal is a good situation, but we are preparing for that", but warned: "We aren't going to unknit the European Union because the UK wants to leave."

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 16, 2019, 02:34:18 AM
Great fun for political journalists, annoying for nearly everyone else  :huh:

I'd like there to be fewer lies in the next few weeks, a wish that is unlikely to be granted.

Yeah that's a bit ambitious I am afraid. The Tories are, well, Tories, and Labour is already in election campaign mode, what's with their "a customs union, except we get to do what we want" proposal for a deal.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2019, 02:29:01 AM
The NYT has a handy info graphic about the options.

None of those options, apart from No Deal and begging, can realistically be achieved without postponing the deadline.

garbon

True they screwed up by listing postpone as just one branch.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Should also have revocation of Article 50.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 16, 2019, 04:46:01 AM

Wouldn't that lead to rioting Brexiteers in the streets?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on January 16, 2019, 04:56:49 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 16, 2019, 04:46:01 AM

Wouldn't that lead to rioting Brexiteers in the streets?

I don't see a way out of this without some major short-term upheveal at least.

Of course protesting urban middle class must seem far less dangerous to MPs than protesting far-righters, so that must be pushing things towards No Deal.

Zanza

May does not seem to move on any of her red lines and her cross party talks do not include Corbyn. This is hopeless and pointless.