Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2019, 03:38:42 PM
The retarded thing is that the Tories and DUP will confirm their confidence in her tomorrow. She is a pawn to get a no deal Brexit and she does not seem to understand that or does not care as long as she is supposedly in power.

Um...huh.

A no deal Brexit seems like it would be a disaster of historic proportions for Northern Ireland. I mean we are talking an almost existential threat here. Why would the DUP want that?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

QuoteStatement by President Juncker on the outcome of the Meaningful Vote in the United Kingdom House of Commons
Brussels, 15 January 2019

I take note with regret of the outcome of the vote in the House of Commons this evening.

On the EU side, the process of ratification of the Withdrawal Agreement continues.

The Withdrawal Agreement is a fair compromise and the best possible deal. It reduces the damage caused by Brexit for citizens and businesses across Europe. It is the only way to ensure an orderly withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union.

The European Commission, and notably our Chief Negotiator Michel Barnier, has invested enormous time and effort to negotiate the Withdrawal Agreement. We have shown creativity and flexibility throughout. I, together with President Tusk, have demonstrated goodwill again by offering additional clarifications and reassurances in an exchange of letters with Prime Minister May earlier this week.

The risk of a disorderly withdrawal of the United Kingdom has increased with this evening's vote. While we do not want this to happen, the European Commission will continue its contingency work to help ensure the EU is fully prepared.

I urge the United Kingdom to clarify its intentions as soon as possible.

Time is almost up.

Good reaction. Seems an utter waste of time to even engage with Britain as they are not capable to propose anything realistic.

Richard Hakluyt

It is the DUP, they would do anything not to be detached from the UK and then attached to Ireland. This would include violence. Economics is quite a long way down their list of priorities.

garbon

BBC quick interview with leave voter outside parliament. We voted on stay or leave. There was no tick box for deal.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2019, 03:45:05 PM

Good reaction. Seems an utter waste of time to even engage with Britain as they are not capable to propose anything realistic.

Agreed. Repeal article 50 or a No Deal exit in March. This whole festering process needs to be put out of its misery.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2019, 03:50:16 PM
BBC quick interview with leave voter outside parliament. We voted on stay or leave. There was no tick box for deal.

The Leave side was completely dishonest about that then. Nowhere did they suggest it automatically meant a no deal hard Brexit. In fact they dishonestly claimed a good deal would be easily forthcoming.

Incidentally observe how a plebiscite enables a small minority to control national policy. So much for them being "more democratic" (which they have a long history of not being).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zoupa

This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

Zanza

I hope Macron vetoes an article 50 extension if it comes to that. This farce needs to end.

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2019, 03:58:53 PM
I hope Macron vetoes an article 50 extension if it comes to that. This farce needs to end.

Yeah, I always am in favour of outcomes that will hurt people over what is tedious for me. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2019, 04:01:57 PM

Yeah, I always am in favour of outcomes that will hurt people over what is tedious for me. :)

The EU will be fine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

If there is a second referendum maybe the EU can offer "concessions" that are basically just saying the UK can do what it could always do (passports, deporting people who can't support themselves, etc...). Would be really funny to see them playing the leavers at their own game.
Plus of course supporting the decent half of the UK.

Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2019, 03:50:16 PM

Yep. They've gone full 1984 on this. It has been a gradual thing.
At first it was no we don't want a Swiss or Norwegian style deal. We never mentioned that.
Then it was no customs union at all. Now they've always promised no deal at all.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2019, 04:02:43 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 15, 2019, 04:01:57 PM

The EU will be fine.

EU citizens are the only people?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2019, 03:38:42 PM
The retarded thing is that the Tories and DUP will confirm their confidence in her tomorrow. She is a pawn to get a no deal Brexit and she does not seem to understand that or does not care as long as she is supposedly in power.

The whole fixed term thing doesn't work in the British system.  It's absurd that the MPs will vote against her en masse on the most significant issue of her entire term and yet that doesn't trigger her fall.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2019, 04:03:30 PMdeporting people who can't support themselves

Austria has been doing this since 2006.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

The best possible solution is for Britain to leave without a deal and then be immediately conquered by the EU.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017