Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

ulmont

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2018, 04:07:39 AM
Hey, the UK could now revoke, then invoke it the following day, and enjoy a 2 year encore.

It could become a biennial tradition, forever trapped in the twilight zone.

I agree that it now seems like a country can unilaterally extend forever in that manner.  That seems flatly inconsistent with the Article 50, Clause 3, requirement that any withdrawal extensions be by agreement of the entire European Council and the Member State?

Richard Hakluyt

The best thing for the EU to do, in that circumstance, would be to simply ignore the offending state.

celedhring

We're also voting in 6 months for an European Parliament that won't have British MPs. It's going to be weird if Brexit gets called of/postponed at the eleventh hour  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

It seems like it is in the EU's best interests to allow Britain to slink back to being a special snowflake member after seeing how dark and full of terrors the world without the EU would be, right?

I mean they probably should pay the EU for all the trouble and expense they put them through though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: UK House of Commons on Twitter
Now the Government has made a statement that political agreement on withdrawal agreement & future framework has been reached, the requirements for the Government to make a statement to the House by 21 Jan on 'no deal' has been superseded. (1/2

In practice the latest date would be 28 March as matters stand. (2/2)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2018, 11:52:08 AM
Wait...what?

Nothing stops May legally from waiting until the very last moment to have a vote on the deal, when any other option other than agreeing to it would push Britain into utter chaos.

I don't think it will happen, because they won't let her, but I would not think it beyond her to try it.

Richard Hakluyt

She can be absurdly stubborn.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2018, 11:52:08 AM
Wait...what?

She blinked.

Perhaps in large part because the knives were poised to stab he in the back and see her removed from Downing Street within the next week or two.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zoupa

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on December 10, 2018, 12:00:53 PMNothing stops May legally from waiting until the very last moment to have a vote on the deal, when any other option other than agreeing to it would push Britain into utter chaos.

I don't think it will happen, because they won't let her, but I would not think it beyond her to try it.
The EU should issue an ultim... eh, indicate its own timelines to May during the next summit at the end of the week. It's time this farce comes to an end.

Josquius

Serious question, not just my bias speaking here- but is May the most anti democratic prime minister of modern times?
Just shocking how much she is pissing over our institutions.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on December 10, 2018, 02:06:28 PM
The EU should issue an ultim... eh, indicate its own timelines to May during the next summit at the end of the week. It's time this farce comes to an end.

I see the people on the continent still do not appreciate British comedy.

Iormlund

I'm having a hell of a time.   :blush:

It would probably be a lot less funny if I had a job in the UK, though. Which was actually the plan back in summer 2015.