Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zoupa

That's hilarious  :lol:

QuoteDuring the first 12 months after the vote, Britain confirmed with the various countries that have trade deals with the EU that the same deals would continue. It also used that time to agree much more liberal terms with those states which had run up against EU protectionism, including India, China and Australia. These new treaties came into effect shortly after independence. Britain, like the EFTA countries, now combines global free trade with full participation in EU markets.

QuoteTerms were agreed easily enough. Britain withdrew from the EU's political structures and institutions, but kept its tariff-free arrangements in place.

We got the next Turtledove over here.

The Larch

That article popped up somewhere in my twitter feed a few weeks ago. Its level of delusionality is quite top notch. Everything is going to go dandy just because, true magical thinking.

Richard Hakluyt

Boris Johnson was on one of our political shows a day or two back; he was claiming that after Parliament rejects May's deal it would be extremely easy to negotiate a new and better one.

I'm struggling to understand the level of dimness required to believe him.

Josquius

On the bright side at least he isn't pretending a no deal brexit is good?
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

The ECJ has just ruled that the UK can unilaterally revoke article 50 :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-46481643

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

When we'll have a new election in February, will the LibDems have the balls to run on the platform of revoking Article 50, or they will once again try their wishy-washy second referendum BS?

Richard Hakluyt

It really is like being at the performance of an extremely long and boring play, with bad actors, low producion values and a full bladder.

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 10, 2018, 04:02:46 AM
It really is like being at the performance of an extremely long and boring play, with bad actors, low producion values and a full bladder.

Hey, the UK could now revoke, then invoke it the following day, and enjoy a 2 year encore.

It could become a biennial tradition, forever trapped in the twilight zone.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on December 10, 2018, 04:07:39 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 10, 2018, 04:02:46 AM

Hey, the UK could now revoke, then invoke it the following day, and enjoy a 2 year encore.

It could become a biennial tradition, forever trapped in the twilight zone.

:w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

There's an emergency telco between May and the cabinet members. Rumors has it she has cancelled tomorrow's vote on the deal.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Oh that was so good  :lol:

Tamas