Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Is the EU partial to letting the UK stay? Because in this situation the UK Is definitely the bipolar GF that the EU should break up with.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on November 28, 2018, 11:33:46 AM
Is the EU partial to letting the UK stay? Because in this situation the UK Is definitely the bipolar GF that the EU should break up with.

I believe the ECJ is going to rule on whether the UK can unilaterally decide to stay. EU argued no.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Agelastus on November 28, 2018, 11:06:28 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2018, 10:53:27 AM
So with Stalin.. sorry I mean McDowell supporting the idea of a second referendum making it much more likely, how is that not going to result in a no-deal exit?

If there's a 3-way vote (stay, May's deal, no deal) sane people's vote will divide between staying and May's thing.

If there's a two way choice (May's deal or no deal) that's going to be a no-deal landslide.

McDonnell has apparently had a change of heart since almost two months ago to the day in September.

Then he said a referendum should be "no deal" or "deal" as the choices.

Now he says it should be "deal" or "remain" as the choices.

I think that's still too risky. Better to just have "remain" as the choice, less chance for the British public to screw it up.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 28, 2018, 10:53:27 AM
So with Stalin.. sorry I mean McDowell supporting the idea of a second referendum making it much more likely, how is that not going to result in a no-deal exit?

If there's a 3-way vote (stay, May's deal, no deal) sane people's vote will divide between staying and May's thing.

If there's a two way choice (May's deal or no deal) that's going to be a no-deal landslide.
Brexiters are terrified of the opposite. That the brexit vote will be split between no deal and deal.
Which seems more likely to me. If remain is a clear option then people will go for that. Its brexit which promises a thousand different things to a thousand different people.
I doubt we'd get this kind of referendum though
██████
██████
██████

Iormlund

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 08:24:56 AM
International shagging is the way forward; in the long run we will end up with Europeans rather than Germans and Frenchmen  :cool:

My family is doing our part.

My bro married a German-speaking Turk (she's also fluent in English). And I met my Venezuelan girlfriend while we were both working in Germany.

Iormlund

Anyway, at this point I think it is better for everyone involved to see the Brits suffer though Brexit. A sort of cautionary tale.

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 28, 2018, 08:24:56 AM
International shagging is the way forward; in the long run we will end up with Europeans rather than Germans and Frenchmen  :cool:

Tinder seems determined to play a key role in European unity, given the amount of tourists that it throws my way.

mongers

With what appears to be a genuine move by the public to get behind May's deal, the commons and especially her own party will decisively ignore that and plunge the country into a far deeper political crisis.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on November 28, 2018, 03:47:40 PM
With what appears to be a genuine move by the public to get behind May's deal, the commons and especially her own party will decisively ignore that and plunge the country into a far deeper political crisis.  :bowler:

Indeed, it does seem that way from what I've seen reported of the Brexit deal. More like Brexit in name mostly, with the UK still tied to the EU in so many ways. Such as being limited in trade with the US, having to follow EU laws on many large items. The Brexiteers wanted away from most of that. I wonder now if the Parliament will vote for it?

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on November 28, 2018, 06:49:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 28, 2018, 03:47:40 PM

Indeed, it does seem that way from what I've seen reported of the Brexit deal. More like Brexit in name mostly, with the UK still tied to the EU in so many ways. Such as being limited in trade with the US, having to follow EU laws on many large items. The Brexiteers wanted away from most of that. I wonder now if the Parliament will vote for it?

According to vocal MPs on both sides, it'll get rejected, losing by upto 100 votes.

May is convince she can persuade the doubters in her party and bring labour moderates over, by doing a Trump and getting the population to pressure their MPs into siding with the government.  :hmm:

But who knows how this will resolve in parliament and the country after the December 11th vote.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

I really cannot see it getting past the Commons under current circumstances.

In "taking back control" (hah!) vein I think that Tusk and Juncker could easily influence the Commons vote.

ie if the dynamic duo say that it is May's deal or no deal - then May may be able to get Labour remainers to back her deal.

Conversely, if they indicate that the UK can row back on Leaving, then I think remainer MPs will hope for the prize and vote May's deal down.

So far they appear to have been quiet  :hmm:

Josquius

So Brits... Write to your mp asking they oppose it.
I tried doing so but my MP is an idiot with a short attention span who only read the first paragraph about cuts and assumed I was writing about a police matter.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Syt

The booze ad seems well placed on that front page, btw. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.