Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2018, 02:39:06 AM
FWIW, the Spanish president has just confirmed that there's an agreement for post-Brexit Gibraltar, although it's contingent on an overall Brexit deal happening.

Well that's nice and reasonable on the part of Spanish government and the negotiators, maybe those are characteristics that could catch on in the next few months? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Issues weren't as tricky as the overall Brexit deal. Gibraltar isn't in the customs union and there's already a border control. Big issues were freedom of movement - and here both governments desire to keep it in place  - tax, security and operation of the Gibraltar airport which partly lies on Spanish soil.

There's some stuff that still has to be ironed out in bilateral agreements, but everything that has to be in the Brexit deal is agreed.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on October 24, 2018, 08:29:36 AM
Issues weren't as tricky as the overall Brexit deal. Gibraltar isn't in the customs union, and there's already a border control. Big issues were freedom of movement - and here both governments desire to keep it in place  - tax, security and operation of the Gibraltar airport which partly lies on Spanish soil.

There's some stuff that still has to be ironed out in bilateral agreements, but everything that has to be in the Brexit deal is agreed.

That's how international negotiation should happen, in a spirit of co-operation and mutual appreciation of interests. 

Refreshing that populist flag waving didn't raise it's ugly head.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

ulmont

QuoteThere is palpable sense of panic slowly developing in London. Each Brit consumes 110 toilet rolls a year—two and half time the European average. The United Kingdom is Europe's biggest importer of loo paper and it is said that only one day's supply of toilet paper exists in stock. If Britain leaves the EU Customs Union and Single Market in five months' time and the trucks transporting toilet paper are held up at Calais or Dover, British bottoms will have to be wiped with torn-up newspapers as in bygone days.
http://prospect.org/article/brexit-panic-brits-run-out-toilet-paper

garbon

Palpable sense of panic among whom?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 26, 2018, 11:55:54 AM
Palpable sense of panic among whom?

Supply chain managers? Government officials?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

That's the point. Who knows what population they are talking about?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Remember how everyone has been talking of the WTO option as some horrible no deal disaster we might fall into?
Yup. Even that is being too optimistic.

https://uk.webfg.com/news/international-economic/russia-brexit-blocking--3559850.html

QuoteRussia and a number of other members of the World Trade Organisation have moved to block Britain from inheriting the terms it held with the organisation under the EU.

About 20 members of the WTO, which is comprised of 164 member states and is based in Geneva, raised objections to the UK's post-Brexit trade proposals last night as the nation moves to establish itself as an independent member.

Russian objections stem from its insistence that full scheduling arrangements must be followed as the EU's list has not been ratified by all states since the 2013 accession of Croatia.

Theresa May's government had proposed an agreement that would effectively have replicated its share of the EU's imported quota, which is the limit on the amount of goods which can be traded between members before trade becomes subject to steep tariffs.

In the event of a 'no-deal' Brexit, Britain's trade with the EU would rely on WTO rules.

New Zealand and the US are among the nations to have issues with the UK's proposals, but are not thought to have objected last night.

David Henig, a former assistant director at the trade department, said: "This is another case of the government being too optimistic. Welcome to trade reality."

However, the department for international trade moved to calm worries over the issue, commenting that it was "not uncommon" for objections to be made and that there were "well established processes" for resolving such disputes.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on October 26, 2018, 01:12:01 PM
Remember how everyone has been talking of the WTO option as some horrible no deal disaster we might fall into?
Yup. Even that is being too optimistic.

https://uk.webfg.com/news/international-economic/russia-brexit-blocking--3559850.html

QuoteRussia and a number of other members of the World Trade Organisation have moved to block Britain from inheriting the terms it held with the organisation under the EU.

About 20 members of the WTO, which is comprised of 164 member states and is based in Geneva, raised objections to the UK's post-Brexit trade proposals last night as the nation moves to establish itself as an independent member.

Russian objections stem from its insistence that full scheduling arrangements must be followed as the EU's list has not been ratified by all states since the 2013 accession of Croatia.

Theresa May's government had proposed an agreement that would effectively have replicated its share of the EU's imported quota, which is the limit on the amount of goods which can be traded between members before trade becomes subject to steep tariffs.

In the event of a 'no-deal' Brexit, Britain's trade with the EU would rely on WTO rules.

New Zealand and the US are among the nations to have issues with the UK's proposals, but are not thought to have objected last night.

David Henig, a former assistant director at the trade department, said: "This is another case of the government being too optimistic. Welcome to trade reality."

However, the department for international trade moved to calm worries over the issue, commenting that it was "not uncommon" for objections to be made and that there were "well established processes" for resolving such disputes.

Zanza

Valmy

They terk er jerbs!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

frunk

It doesn't really matter what those numbers are, they can be used to demonize the immigrants.  Either they are working and taking jobs from natives or they are lazy shiftless bums living off the gov't teat.

Josquius

In todays news the brexit secretary has just realised the UK is an island.

And I'm not exaggerating by much.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on November 08, 2018, 12:47:28 PM
In todays news the brexit secretary has just realised the UK is an island.

And I'm not exaggerating by much.

Well that is not even true. The UK is several islands and part of another one.