Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on December 19, 2017, 12:57:53 PM
I find it baffling that in the UK official government establishments and premises (besides the military) can be exempted from fulfilling something as basic as health regulations unless it's explicitly mentioned. Oh well.

In a different topic, here's apparently a slide that Barnier, the EU's chief negotiation, showed last week on possible future trade scenarios for the UK according to the different red lines that May mentioned:

This was a good idea, because I think a nice clean colourful picture like this is all the complexity David Davis can handle.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on December 09, 2017, 04:36:16 AM
So far the Brexit "negotiations" were basically the UK slowly accepting the EU's position. The EU will not allow much regulatory divergence if the UK intends to keep the border in Ireland open, so the softest of Brexits is inevitable.

No that is naive.  What is inevitable is a train wreck.  Brexit was sold on bullshit - that Britain could have its cake and eat it too - all the benefits of Europe with none of the obligations.  But that's OK because the Brexiteers know they can drag it out for years and ramp up the heat gradually enough the voters won't realized they've been boiled until after it's all over.  Ireland, however, can't be finessed.  Britain can escape EU jurisdiction or keep a soft border in Ireland but they cant do both.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

So nobody thought about Ireland during the Brexit referendum? After all those decades of murder and chaos? And people say terrorism works.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2017, 06:06:03 PM
So nobody thought about Ireland during the Brexit referendum? After all those decades of murder and chaos? And people say terrorism works.

Plenty of people voted without thinking too much at all.

Josquius

Any concerns were dismissed as project fear.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2017, 03:50:36 AM
Any concerns were dismissed as project fear.

:yes:

Michael Gove just warned, allegedly, his fellow cabinet members not to repeat "project fear" i.e. avoid the pitfall of entering the trade negotiations with realistic expectations.

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on December 19, 2017, 06:40:34 PM

Yep. Not very different from any other time people vote.

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on December 20, 2017, 05:22:57 AM

Indeed. We overthink things here because that's our nature, but the overwhelming majority of voters in any election is going to cast their vote based on very flimsy arguments, if not directly going with their guts.

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on December 20, 2017, 05:22:57 AM

Which is exactly why most countries have all these extra safeguards of electing a guy to write, vote and amend laws rather than just voting on vague nonsense. :(
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on December 20, 2017, 11:59:45 AM
Which is exactly why most countries have all these extra safeguards of electing a guy to write, vote and amend laws rather than just voting on vague nonsense. :(

Except that the UK safeguard of electing people to write, vote and amend laws failed spectacularly when the safeguarders decided that they were, lemming-like, going to follow the stupid voters off the cliff.  It was Parliament that decided on Brexit, not the people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

:bowler: At least they confirmed the navy blue passports now. I guess that makes it worth it.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza on December 22, 2017, 10:22:17 AM
:bowler: At least they confirmed the navy blue passports now. I guess that makes it worth it.

I'm very pleased with that, mainly because I know it is very important to Tamas and whether he stays in the UK or not  :bowler:

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 22, 2017, 11:38:37 AM
Quote from: Zanza on December 22, 2017, 10:22:17 AM

I'm very pleased with that, mainly because I know it is very important to Tamas and whether he stays in the UK or not  :bowler:

Yep. Moving here has finally paid off!

Josquius

If that's what this whole thing was about then I'm willing to change. Lets do it. No need for brexit if that's the key issue right?
██████
██████
██████