Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2017, 07:06:22 AM
Jesus. So there is no assessment afterall. And they've been trying to hide this for months.
https://t.co/6GDzPzIQ6l

:blink:

frunk

Stop trying to compete with the US for worst politicians.   Jesus!  Now Congress is going to have to pass the "Shoot Random Babies and Steal Cars" Bill.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on December 06, 2017, 10:13:30 AM
Jesus. So there is no assessment afterall. And they've been trying to hide this for months.

It is a populist and nationalist move, not one done because it was a carefully considered policy in line with the UK's interests. That is because it isn't.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Bloody hell.
And one of his excuses actually was pretty much: this is not as easy as people imagine given how complicated everything is.
No shit shirlock. That was the crux of the remain case.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2017, 10:39:24 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 06, 2017, 10:13:30 AM

It is a populist and nationalist move, not one done because it was a carefully considered policy in line with the UK's interests. That is because it isn't.

That excuse could fly right after the referendum, as it was so unexpected and the ones who had to govern were not the ones that wanted Brexit, but it's not as if they haven't had the time to think it out since then.

celedhring

I suppose some private institution has made this kind of analysis in the UK? London probably has the highest concentration of financial consulting firms per square meter in the world. Maybe they should shoot mr. Davies an email.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on December 06, 2017, 11:09:06 AM
That excuse could fly right after the referendum, as it was so unexpected and the ones who had to govern were not the ones that wanted Brexit, but it's not as if they haven't had the time to think it out since then.

It should have been done before the referendum.  I don't get how a hostile condemnation on my part is excuse making though  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I don't think they care, simply.

I think all the analysis and opinions pointing out how politics have become the dumping ground of inept sociopaths, instead of the most efficient route of advance for people with true talent and drive, are true. They are just this shit.

If you really are among the top talent of your country, you'd be a total idiot to get into politics. So they don't. And we got what's left - people who are pretty good at backstabbing and smooth-talking their way into power, but have no desire, and less ability, to be statesmen.

Tamas

Oh, and notice how, even according to the Guardian, Corbyn's attack on May during the regural PMQ session in Parliament today was the least energetic of all he has done. Incidentally, it was the first where he was talking about Brexit stuff.

He doesn't care either. All he wants to do is to become Premier Corbyn, and prove that he was right in the debate circles when he was 15.  Being out or inside the EU is quite irrelevant to that.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2017, 11:18:26 AM

It should have been done before the referendum.  I don't get how a hostile condemnation on my part is excuse making though  :P

I get that you agree. :P It's just that, even if originally it could be expected that they didn't have a plan or a vision, they should have it by now, they've had plenty of time. But they just seem to be winging it.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on December 06, 2017, 11:37:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2017, 11:18:26 AM

I get that you agree. :p It's just that, even if originally it could be expected that they didn't have a plan or a vision, they shoulf have it by now, they've had plenty of time. But they just seem to be winging it.

Exactly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on December 06, 2017, 11:14:51 AM
I suppose some private institution has made this kind of analysis in the UK? London probably has the highest concentration of financial consulting firms per square meter in the world. Maybe they should shoot mr. Davies an email.

The EU has done and made public their analysis.

crazy canuck

His stated reason for not making the inquiry is that he thought of doing it but rejected getting the analysis because that sort of thing is "always wrong" - watch the end of the clip, Trump most be green with envy that someone can be more anti-intellectual then him.

Gups

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 06, 2017, 12:33:16 PM

His stated reason for not making the inquiry is that he thought of doing it but rejected getting the analysis because that sort of thing is "always wrong" - watch the end of the clip, Trump most be green with envy that someone can be more anti-intellectual then him.

I expect he's probably sick of listening to "experts".

Josquius

Yes. The good old myth that nobody saw 2008 coming and economic analysis are always wrong.
Definitely one for the cheap seats there.
At least I hope he was just playing for the crowd.
██████
██████
██████