Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on November 27, 2017, 07:08:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 27, 2017, 07:03:07 AM
I believe the DUP are angling for having their cake and eating it.
If they could keep northern Ireland a full part of the UK, customs borders and all, and keep open borders with the Republic, then Northern Ireland would naturally stand to suck  in a huge chunk of investment as the most viable place in the uk to do business.
Which of course will never happen.

It's just insane that Ireland was not given more consideration at referendum time.

I don't know how you could make that work though. Either you have a "border" between NI and the UK for goods and people or you have it between Ireland and NI. Otherwise Ireland becomes a backdoor to the Single Market.

Quite, it's impossible.

Josquius

Haven't you guys been paying attention this past year?
Logic matters not to brexiters.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

American in the royal family. :nelson:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

The European royals seem to be moving away from marrying homely princesses to plebeian hotties. It's good to be the king I guess.  :hmm:

garbon

Harry is unlikely to ever become the King.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2017, 03:22:08 AM
Harry is unlikely to ever become the King.

What's his Intrigue score?  :hmm:

garbon

Markle living the dream of a young American girl. Marrying a prince.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

BTW is there a fixed budget for the whole royal family, or every new kid born to one of them is a new lifelong cost to pay?

Josquius

The daily mail comments section in reply to the Royal announcement is simply hilarious
Quote: "we didn't vote for brexit for this."

It does worry me a little to be honest. Happy royal stories tend to dominate the news. Perfect place to hide brexit shit.

QuoteBTW is there a fixed budget for the whole royal family, or every new kid born to one of them is a new lifelong cost to pay?
The government gets all the income from the crown estates, the Queen's personal holdings, 15% of this IIRC then goes back to funding the royals. It can rise and fall as needed but the money being firmly in the hands of the government has been established for centuries, ever since a short sighted king became broke.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Well its a far more convenient talking point than the government censoring out the bad parts of the Brexit reports before handing them over, that's for sure.

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2017, 04:51:37 AM
It does worry me a little to be honest. Happy royal stories tend to dominate the news. Perfect place to hide brexit shit.

Well I just looked at some of the websites of the main news outlets.

Guardian: Top story is Brexit, no mention of royal wedding in headlines section. Only shows up when you scroll to Spotline section

BBC: top is about royal wedding, have to scrolls a slight bit to get a Brexit story

Telegraph: Top billing split between royal wedding, Brexit and Trump calling Warren 'Pocahontas'.

Independent: Top billing to Brexit and then small blurb on royal wedding

Daily Mail: All about the royals but then anyone seriously following Brexit isn't looking there

The Sun: Nothing on royals at top, maybe if you scroll further into the morass. Again no one seriously following Brexit isn't looking there

Richard Hakluyt

Here is the latest Brexit news :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/28/keir-starmer-keeps-pressure-on-david-davis-over-edited-brexit-papers

Note that Keir Starmer, Rees-Mogg and Wishart (SNP) are united in criticising the government.

This is what Rees-Mogg said :

"An influential Brexit-supporting Conservative member of the committee, Jacob Rees-Mogg, said parliament's vote should be considered as binding. He said the government was "in serious constitutional waters if it doesn't provide the full information" to the committee.

"The government could have amended the motion, and that is still a fallback position for them. But without doing that, failure to provide all the information does not meet the terms of the humble address and is potentially a breach of privilege," he told the Guardian.

"This is nothing to do with Brexit or party politics – it is to do with the rights of the House of Commons. We will all be in opposition one day – and it is important to remember that. If you try to trample the rights of the Commons in government – then when in opposition you have no means of curtailing abuses of power." "

Tamas

Well, kudos to him for that.

He is seriously behind the times though, if he is concerned with obsolete concepts like parliamentary democracy and checks and balances.

Richard Hakluyt

This is a very weak government. A good time for MPs to assert their rights; pity that so many of them see to be spineless lobby-fodder.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2017, 06:00:06 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2017, 04:51:37 AM

Well I just looked at some of the websites of the main news outlets.

Guardian: Top story is Brexit, no mention of royal wedding in headlines section. Only shows up when you scroll to Spotline section

BBC: top is about royal wedding, have to scrolls a slight bit to get a Brexit story

Telegraph: Top billing split between royal wedding, Brexit and Trump calling Warren 'Pocahontas'.

Independent: Top billing to Brexit and then small blurb on royal wedding

Daily Mail: All about the royals but then anyone seriously following Brexit isn't looking there

The Sun: Nothing on royals at top, maybe if you scroll further into the morass. Again no one seriously following Brexit isn't looking there

And on the day when the Royal announcement was breaking news?

I wouldn't see it happening too much with this announcement. I don't think it was scheduled. But if there is a definite "we will get married on 5 June" known in advance then plans can be made
██████
██████
██████