Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Labours plan is pretty much the one the Tories will have to follow anyway unless they go for option B., National suicide.
The tories have been out manoeuvred  again
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2017, 05:47:50 PM

:hmm:

And who is in power again?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2017, 05:50:40 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 27, 2017, 05:47:50 PM

:hmm:

And who is in power again?

A very weak Tory-DUP coalition rather than the majority they had before or the massive majority they should have won had they been competent and labour fell into their trap
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Yeah, so still not Labour then.

Jacob

garbon

So the Home Office is certainly a bit of a joke with this one/ (a bit sexist?):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/29/joiner-shane-ridge-born-and-raised-in-britain-told-to-leave-home-office

QuoteMan born and raised in UK told he is not a British citizen

A 21-year-old man who was born and raised in Britain has been told to leave the UK by the Home Office because he is not a British citizen.

Shane Ridge, a joiner from Colne in Lancashire who describes himself as "as British as they come", received a letter from the Home Office last week informing him that his driving licence would be revoked as he had "no lawful basis to be in the UK".

It came as a surprise because all of Ridge's relatives are British citizens. His mother was born in Australia during a family holiday, but has lived in Britain since then and has dual citizenship.

Under UK law, if a child was born before July 2006, the father's British nationality will usually only automatically pass to the child if he was married to the mother at the time of birth. Because Ridge's parents never married, he does not have an automatic right to citizenship and is required to apply for "right of abode".

Ridge said he did not know that his right to citizenship was not automatic, and is confused after being told he would have to leave his family behind or risk jail or a £5,000 fine for living illegally in the UK.

The letter said the Home Office was working with the DVLA, NHS and banks to "stop access to benefits and services for those with no lawful basis to be in the UK". It added: "This includes you."

Ridge was also told he must stop driving immediately.

"It's surreal," he said. "This is the only letter I have ever received in relation to me having to leave the country. It just came through my letterbox out of the blue.

"The last bit scared me the most – 'leave the UK voluntarily'. I'm speechless – I don't know what I can say. I received the letter from Immigration Enforcement saying they were going to revoke my driving licence and I should leave the UK voluntarily or face a £5,000 fine.

"I'm confused and worried that I'll have to leave my entire family behind and move to a country that I don't know. I don't understand it because I was born in the UK. I did my GCSEs here, I've worked for six years, I pay tax and national insurance. Me and my girlfriend rented a house, I vote, I use the NHS and opened a bank account without any problems, ever."

Ridge said he did not know he was not a British citizen until he received the letter.

He said he applied for a passport last year to go on holiday and his application was declined, but he then successfully applied for and holds an Australian passport. The Passport Office advised him that he would be able to travel and safely return to the UK after his holiday and since then, he said, he had had no indication of any problems.

"I applied for an Australian passport and was accepted because my mum was born there, despite both her parents being British, and therefore she has dual citizenship," he said.

"I went to apply for right of abode myself after receiving this letter and was told by the Home Office that I need to apply for British citizenship first before I can do that.

"The laws on this have apparently changed in 2006 and they have changed backwards and forwards throughout the years. I just don't understand how they've just got through to me now. I even have a birth certificate with my dad's signature on it – he's British.

"If I cannot get dual citizenship or right of abode, or if this isn't a mistake, I don't know what I'll do."

Ridge said he was particularly angry that his life as a law-abiding citizen in the country in which he was born had been thrown into doubt. "It's terrifying. My parents keep telling me everything will be fine but I'm really scared.

"My girlfriend, Jodie, isn't happy. Everyone is in shock and wondering how this can possibly happen. I've lived by the book – never had a criminal record.

"I have brothers and sisters. They have dual citizenship because my mum married their dad but my youngest sister, who is five, is also technically in the same position as me as my mum didn't marry her dad.

"The letter even says they will stop me accessing the NHS or banks. I've always been to the doctors with no problems and me and my girlfriend have a joint bank account."

The Home Office has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Barrister

It seems to me that if he was turned down for a UK passport last year, but he then successfully obtained an Australian one, he was put on notice of the problem last year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Agreed that he should have investigated a bit but also, does seem a bit odd to have both parents be citizens and grown up there and be asked to leave. Of course, I'm only a citizen of a birthright citizenship country so all seems a bit odd to me.

Jacob

Yeah, the UK's a bit naff like that. My father's British - English in fact - but I do not qualify for UK citizenship since my parents weren't married.

Pretty shitty that they'd apply it to someone who's lived his whole life in England though.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2017, 04:15:13 PM
Yeah, the UK's a bit naff like that. My father's British - English in fact - but I do not qualify for UK citizenship since my parents weren't married.

Pretty shitty that they'd apply it to someone who's lived his whole life in England though.

I assume that the British government is saying that he's a citizen of Australia?  Does Australia agree?  I would assume that they do if they gave him a passport.  I don't understand, though, if his mother has dual Australian/British citizenship, his father is a British citizen, and he was born in the UK, how he can be an Australian citizen but not a UK citizen.

I also wasn't aware that you had to be a UK citizen to have a bank account there.

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 29, 2017, 05:18:23 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 29, 2017, 04:15:13 PM

I assume that the British government is saying that he's a citizen of Australia?  Does Australia agree?  I would assume that they do if they gave him a passport.  I don't understand, though, if his mother has dual Australian/British citizenship, his father is a British citizen, and he was born in the UK, how he can be an Australian citizen but not a UK citizen.

I also wasn't aware that you had to be a UK citizen to have a bank account there.

I bet his mother wasn't a citizen when he was born and got it later.

And no, you don't have to be a citizen. I have a UK bank account.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2017, 05:58:43 PM
I bet his mother wasn't a citizen when he was born and got it later.

And no, you don't have to be a citizen. I have a UK bank account.

Probably part of some sort of "these are the tools we have to make your life unpleasant if we deem you're an illegal immigrant" legislation.

garbon

Also, the bank thing is more stressed with the he never had difficulty opening an account. I had quite the run around trying to open my first bank account here. -_-

mongers

Well if we're going to get closer to the spirit of Trump's version of America, then we need to crank up the meanness, so this guys situation is a good example to follow.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"