Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2017, 02:21:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2017, 02:18:42 PM
That's a huge change from when I lived in the UK.

Well your cavorting with Boudica probably isn't all that germane to the conversation.

It used to be called Grumblerhenge, you know.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2017, 07:27:41 PM

Well your cavorting with Boudica probably isn't all that germane to the conversation.

It used to be called Grumblerhenge, you know.

Yeah, then they renamed it after Stone when he won the War With Cave 42.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Richard Hakluyt

I can see that these talks are going to go great, especially now that Europeans have started judging each other on the content of their tabloids.

Let me see know, what does the German press say? Ah yes, Bild outsells its nearest competitor by 5 to 1, it must be the German newspaper of record  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

On the bright side at least I have learned about the Hungarian newspaper Ripost :  https://ripost.hu/

Some of the headlines provided by google translate are brilliant :

"Every second asylum-seeker dribbling false data!"    :yuk: - ewwww....disgusting.

and

"no panties, nude shocked by the big breasted girl ring"  :hmm:

Tamas

:lol: Ripost is a fairly recently created government mouthpiece, with next to no following

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2017, 01:00:52 AM
I can see that these talks are going to go great, especially now that Europeans have started judging each other on the content of their tabloids.

Let me see know, what does the German press say? Ah yes, Bild outsells its nearest competitor by 5 to 1, it must be the German newspaper of record  :hmm:

I've always thought that in Spain we are relatively lucky that the niche of yellow/sensationalistic/tabloid press is covered mostly by sport and gossip stuff, and not rabble rousing rags. Of course the UK should not be judged by the Daily Mail and other tabloids, as Germany shouldn't be judged by Bild, but they are indicators of their respective ugly underbellies.

Tamas

I kept saying to my Hungarian friends that the  UK does not a relatively smaller "mob" of despicables, but the key difference is that unlike in Hungary, they are not let close to running the show.

my worry is that the Brexit referendum has changed that practice, and may have changed it forever.

Josquius

Exchange rate wise. Such an anti climax.
I had expected in the lead up that something would happen
Everyone knew this was going to happen, it was no surprise. But still, in part because everyone knew, they were waiting until it happened to do something.
Instead of dropping a few pence though the pound has gained one or two. :(
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 31, 2017, 05:52:29 AM
Exchange rate wise. Such an anti climax.
I had expected in the lead up that something would happen
Everyone knew this was going to happen, it was no surprise. But still, in part because everyone knew, they were waiting until it happened to do something.
Instead of dropping a few pence though the pound has gained one or two. :(

There will be no big drop until hard brexit (or no deal) is confirmed. It will get ugly for a while then, though.

Richard Hakluyt

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2017, 01:00:52 AM

This Bild?

"Black day for Europe. We hoped until the very end. In vain. Brexit is coming. Germany loses Britain as its most important partner in the EU. The crisis-ridden Europe has to cope with one more catastrophy. The continent faces months, if not years of uncertainty."

Richard Hakluyt

@Zanza - I agree that in general populism struggles far more in Germany than it does in the UK. There is a more measured approach by German voters, even the ones who are not particularly well-educated. It is one of the things I like about modern Germany.

Iormlund

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 31, 2017, 06:15:18 AM
The drop in the £ was well overdue and seems to finally be having some effect on the UK's appalling balance of payments :

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2017/mar/31/uk-growth-report-eurozone-inflation-markets-ftse-100-business-live?page=with:block-58de1738e4b0a411e9aba394#block-58de1738e4b0a411e9aba394

Yeah that's a consequence of having lost purchasing power. From the same page, there's also been a decrease in savings and an increase in consumer debt.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on March 30, 2017, 09:34:31 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2017, 08:54:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2017, 08:50:08 AM
Unfortunately, Daily Mail and The Sun seem to be the most widely read "news" sources in the UK.

So long as no one takes them seriously, then there's no harm.

I am afraid they are taken very seriously.

I Celt see what that has to do with anything.