Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on March 29, 2017, 02:16:49 PM
The 60 billion are not for one year though, but long-term obligations, e.g. pensions for Eurocrats. So you have to spread it out over decades to set it into relation to the total budget.

As I said, it is a lot of money for the EU Commission, but the shots in the EU are called in the Council, where the heads of government of the member states meet. The German federal government spends like 6-7 times what the EU spends, add in the German states and our state alone spends more than 10 times what the EU spends per year. Merkel will not blink over a few billion here and there.

If that's all the British have as a threat, their bluff will be called.

it's one of the reasons why people calling the EU expensive are not really believable. Okay: in real terms it is expensive, but compared to the nations' budgets and gdp... peanuts here, peanuts there. (though that's still no reason to waste money, but that's another discussion)

Tamas

May using anti-terror cooperation as a chip to buy better deals for his rich friends is one thing - she is a Tory and Tories are supposed to be like that. But to have a paper actually cheer this on as bravado? Quite sickening. Surely this can't be one of the "British values" we have successfully protected from the EU?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 30, 2017, 04:37:14 AMMay using anti-terror cooperation as a chip to buy better deals for his rich friends is one thing - she is a Tory and Tories are supposed to be like that. But to have a paper actually cheer this on as bravado? Quite sickening. Surely this can't be one of the "British values" we have successfully protected from the EU?

That part was puzzling to me, one would think that cooperation in security would not be something in jeopardy in the negotiations, after all this kind of cooperation goes beyond the EU. I might have foolishly assumed that continuing cooperation in security would be a "it goes without saying that we will keep working together on this" kind of thing.

Josquius

Someone wanna photoshop Theresa May's face?

██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on March 30, 2017, 05:27:21 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 30, 2017, 04:37:14 AMMay using anti-terror cooperation as a chip to buy better deals for his rich friends is one thing - she is a Tory and Tories are supposed to be like that. But to have a paper actually cheer this on as bravado? Quite sickening. Surely this can't be one of the "British values" we have successfully protected from the EU?

That part was puzzling to me, one would think that cooperation in security would not be something in jeopardy in the negotiations, after all this kind of cooperation goes beyond the EU. I might have foolishly assumed that continuing cooperation in security would be a "it goes without saying that we will keep working together on this" kind of thing.

She's entering the 2 years of negotiations. There, of course, will always be starting from a more extreme point to negotiate on.

Anyway, I find the press nauseating at this moment. We'll be doing this for the next 2 years, no need to shoot their wad on day one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 30, 2017, 04:37:14 AM
May using anti-terror cooperation as a chip to buy better deals for his rich friends is one thing - she is a Tory and Tories are supposed to be like that. But to have a paper actually cheer this on as bravado? Quite sickening. Surely this can't be one of the "British values" we have successfully protected from the EU?

is there an actual paper cheering this on?  It looks like you have chosen a picture of some tabloid.  Those are not real papers, and they are not being serious when they report that Prince Andrew is an alien from Arcturus.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Unfortunately, Daily Mail and The Sun seem to be the most widely read "news" sources in the UK.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on March 30, 2017, 08:50:08 AM
Unfortunately, Daily Mail and The Sun seem to be the most widely read "news" sources in the UK.

So long as no one takes them seriously, then there's no harm.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2017, 08:54:35 AM

I am afraid they are taken very seriously.

Valmy

'The stupidest trash is babbled to the public, so stupid that (as they say in Coburg) you would not give it to the pigs for litter.'

-Prince Albert on the British Press
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on March 30, 2017, 09:34:31 AM

That's a huge change from when I lived in the UK.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2017, 02:18:42 PM

Well your cavorting with Boudica probably isn't all that germane to the conversation.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

One paper is for boobs, and the other...

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2017, 02:21:11 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2017, 02:18:42 PM

Well your cavorting with Boudica probably isn't all that germane to the conversation.

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive