Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Syt

Well, for now she has bigger fish to fry, like that arms deal she signed with Erdogan.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I think they need to be like - okay we were going to go with Brexit but that was before US went batshit. We now need all the friends we can get, so we are staying put. Sorry!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2017, 07:23:31 AM
I think they need to be like - okay we were going to go with Brexit but that was before US went batshit. We now need all the friends we can get, so we are staying put. Sorry!

:rolleyes:

It is a much more likely scenario that the UK becomes the unsinkable mothership for Trumpist America against a hostile EU

Zanza

1.4 million people signed a petition that Trump should not be invited for an official state visit (just normal working meetings) to the UK in order not to embarrass the Queen. No 10 responds that this would upset all that Theresa May has achieved in Washington during her visit and that it would be a populist demand. I thought that's how they do foreign policy decisions in Britain these days...

garbon

I was just at the demonstration in Whitehall. Street was pretty full between Westminster and near Trafalgar. At one point I realised I was up near entranceway to downing Street with the line of cops and was like nope, need to blend back into the crowd. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on January 30, 2017, 12:54:45 PM
1.4 million people signed a petition that Trump should not be invited for an official state visit (just normal working meetings) to the UK in order not to embarrass the Queen. No 10 responds that this would upset all that Theresa May has achieved in Washington during her visit and that it would be a populist demand. I thought that's how they do foreign policy decisions in Britain these days...

Fucking hell :bleeding:
The sheer...smug faced hypocrisy of that response.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

A battle of the petitions is taking place :

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/171928

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/178844

Of course Boris is right, the Queen has hung out with some very unsavoury characters over the years  :hmm:

HVC

Phillips not that bad :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 30, 2017, 04:24:11 PM
Of course Boris is right, the Queen has hung out with some very unsavoury characters over the years  :hmm:

She knighted Ceaucescu. How the fuck did that happen?  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on January 30, 2017, 05:17:16 PM

Cold War ploy I imagine.  He deviated from the official Soviet line and people thought he might be a wedge to break up the Bloc.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2017, 05:30:44 PM

Cold War ploy I imagine.  He deviated from the official Soviet line and people thought he might be a wedge to break up the Bloc.

Yeah, I see he got several similar honors from Western nations around the same time. I guess they wanted to appeal to his considerable vanity, although it doesn't look too pretty in hindsight.

bogh

Yeah, Denmark gave him the highest order of the land as well (The order of the Elephant).

He was considered a dissenter in the Eastern Bloc and for a while even though as a "liberal" commie (ala the Czechoslovak leadership that got ousted).

Pretty embarrassing in hindsight.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 30, 2017, 05:30:44 PM

The same kind of sillyness that led to Gerald Ford saying that Poland was not a Soviet puppet at one point.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2017, 01:22:12 PM
For the parts that I've been - seems about right. Scotland probably deserves a bit more differentiation though.

Hey! Merseyside is home to the noble industrious working people, not a bunch of thieves. If anybody is a thief it is the financiers of London.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."