Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

ulmont

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2016, 04:04:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2016, 03:29:37 PM
Obligation to be nice.... there is the human factor.
We are EU citizens and this is happening to us against the will of 3/4 or the country.

It seems exceedingly unlikely for something like that to pass - besides, if the EU negotiating team offer any kind of concessions because of the human factor or other such sentiments, you can guarantee that the Brexit crowd will take it as proof of their awesome they are and continue to shit on the EU... so why do it?

I mean, there's no need to be unreasonable or anything, but it's a negotiation - triggered by the UK - so expect a negotiation. And in a negotiation you represent your own interests and the interests of your constituent parties, not those of the people sitting on the other side of the table.

Also, if you can't get the negotiations done inside two years, don't you need unanimous consent?  You just know Hungary would fuck that up somehow.

The Brain

If you say you're gonna do something no matter what before you have negotiated the details you put yourself in a very weak position. Stuff 101, which I'm sure the Brits were aware of when they voted.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Football manager 2017 to  feature hard and soft brexit difficulty settings :lol: :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37692481
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Sterling is down 15% trade weighted since Brexit.

garbon

Okay, May really does seem to be taking the piss now. Is there nothing she'll take a stance on?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/18/airport-expansion-vote-put-on-hold-for-more-than-a-year-by-theresa-may
QuoteMay avoids cabinet split over Heathrow as airport vote put on hold

Also:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/18/parliament-very-likely-to-be-asked-to-agree-brexit-deal
QuoteParliament 'very likely' to be asked to agree Brexit deal
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2016, 01:09:26 PM

I was talking to a friend of mine who works as a nurse in a London hospital, and he was seriously pondering leaving the UK if the situation doesn't change. The reason? Not anti-immigration sentiment or anything, but the simple fact that his wage has been "cut" by 20% in the past 12 months due to pound depreciation.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2016, 02:01:05 PM

I was talking to a friend of mine who works as a nurse in a London hospital, and he was seriously pondering leaving the UK if the situation doesn't change. The reason? Not anti-immigration sentiment or anything, but the simple fact that his wage has been "cut" by 20% in the past 12 months due to pound depreciation.

I've the same problem vis-a-vis salary, however, I think it is a mistake to constantly think in exchange rate unless one is constantly sending money back. After all, all my current expenses are in pounds and apart from a few upticks in groceries, my UK spending power is not down. I'm only way down if I constantly think about dollars but as I'm not spending there it is really irrelevant.

Well unless I took view that pound is unlikely to recover in short term.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Very curious to see how CETA plays out.  Seems quite bonkers that an international trade agreement involving the entire EU could be derailed by the region of Wallonia.  If that were to happen it would suggest: (a) soft Brexit is an impossibility, but also (b) some of the Brexiteers had a point about sclerotic EU institutions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Unanimous decisions just aren't practical. Imagine running the US if a bunch of key policy decisions required *all* states to vote yay. Sadly the EU doesn't seem to have the political capital to take away individual state veto power.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on October 18, 2016, 02:25:22 PM
Unanimous decisions just aren't practical. Imagine running the US if a bunch of key policy decisions required *all* states to vote yay. Sadly the EU doesn't seem to have the political capital to take away individual state veto power.

That was always something that annoyed me about some of the Euro-skeptics. They would simultaneously complain about the power of Eurocrats and want the EU weakened and national sovereignty preserved while at the same time wanting it more flexible and democratic. I was like...um it cannot be both of those things. It can either have a powerful democratic mandate with all the authority that goes with it OR it will be the tools of the states and have all the shittiness that goes with that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Cheaper beer for me next week!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2016, 12:55:12 PM
Football manager 2017 to  feature hard and soft brexit difficulty settings :lol: :(

Including the possibility of Scotland becoming independent. Those guys have really covered their bases.

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2016, 12:55:12 PM

The Bosman rule no longer applies after Brexit.

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on October 18, 2016, 02:35:35 PM

Cheaper beer for me next week!

When are you free? If timings work, I'll take you to a decent beer pub. You can buy 15% more rounds than me.

derspiess

Quote from: Gups on October 19, 2016, 08:42:03 AM
When are you free? If timings work, I'll take you to a decent beer pub. You can buy 15% more rounds than me.

:D

Trying to figure out the itinerary, but maybe Thursday, parts of Friday, and Saturday.  My brother and possibly some of his co-workers want to seek out a good beer place Saturday afternoon.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall