Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2016, 06:49:27 AM
Quote from: Zanza on October 14, 2016, 06:26:33 AM
The idea of the Brexit supporters that the EU would somehow, out of enlightened economic interests, give the British a good trade deal is folly. They should have known better considering their own motivations were mainly political, not economic. And they'll find that their counterparts in Europe are also mainly motivated by politics, not economics. And that suggests we can expect a nasty divorce.

So because UK acted petulant first, EU should too?

It's not so simple. Just as it was politically profitable for the Brexit-side politicians to be complete asshats and ruin their country, it will be politically very profitable for a lot of EUrocrats to be pushing for harsh terms for the UK.

Not to mention that I think in a lot of issues there are very tough economic interests behind screwing Britain over (disbanding London as a financial hub in particular).

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 14, 2016, 07:04:17 AM
Quote from: Zanza on October 14, 2016, 06:26:33 AM
The idea of the Brexit supporters that the EU would somehow, out of enlightened economic interests, give the British a good trade deal is folly. They should have known better considering their own motivations were mainly political, not economic. And they'll find that their counterparts in Europe are also mainly motivated by politics, not economics. And that suggests we can expect a nasty divorce.

It's not so simple. Just as it was politically profitable for the Brexit-side politicians to be complete asshats and ruin their country, it will be politically very profitable for a lot of EUrocrats to be pushing for harsh terms for the UK.

Not to mention that I think in a lot of issues there are very tough economic interests behind screwing Britain over (disbanding London as a financial hub in particular).

If the EU is so easily blown about by the national interests of it individual members (for local political gain) - perhaps it is an organization worth killing.

edit: Well maybe nothing so rash...but not something worth actively preserving.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2016, 07:13:37 AM
If the EU is so easily blown about by the national interests of it individual members (for local political gain) - perhaps it is an organization worth killing.
No

Iormlund

If the EU is so easily blown about by the national interests of it individual members...

Heh, I thought its problem was being an unstoppable behemoth in the way of national sovereignty. :unsure:

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on October 14, 2016, 08:32:31 AM
If the EU is so easily blown about by the national interests of it individual members...

Heh, I thought its problem was being an unstoppable behemoth in the way of national sovereignty. :unsure:

I'm not a Brit nor some who is a fan of exit. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Once the flag of nationalism gets brought out everybody is going to grab theirs as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2016, 09:06:26 AM

Once the flag of nationalism gets brought out everybody is going to grab theirs as well.
because otherwise, there is no competition at all between countries, communities, cities, state, etc.  All depends on nationalism, the most evil of all evils.  But patriotism is fine.  Once or twice per generation you get embroiled in foreign war with no exit plan and destabilize an entire region, but aside that, all is fine.  It's not like anti-immigrant rethoric would brew in such a context, anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2016, 01:22:40 PM
because otherwise, there is no competition at all between countries, communities, cities, state, etc.  All depends on nationalism, the most evil of all evils.  But patriotism is fine.  Once or twice per generation you get embroiled in foreign war with no exit plan and destabilize an entire region, but aside that, all is fine.  It's not like anti-immigrant rethoric would brew in such a context, anyway.

:lol:

WTF are you talking about?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on October 14, 2016, 01:29:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 14, 2016, 01:22:40 PM

:lol:

WTF are you talking about?

Some random attack on America.

garbon

That's a shame as it really just throws the EU in the mud.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2016, 02:24:30 PM

I don't see how the EU is under any obligation to be nice to UK during the Brexit negotiations. They ought - I think - to pursue the interests of the EU as a whole first, and the interests of the individual members second (though of course the interests of the EU as a whole is simply the aggregate balance of the interests of the individual members as a whole).

There's no reasonable argument for the EU to be indulgent towards an exiting UK beyond hypothetical EU self-interest... and if EU self interest points towards harsh terms, that's entirely reasonable IMO.

Personally I'd prefer an amicable, low-impact divorce, of course.

Josquius

Obligation to be nice.... there is the human factor.
We are EU citizens and this is happening to us against the will of 3/4 or the country.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2016, 03:29:37 PM
We are EU citizens and this is happening to us against the will of 3/4 or the country.

It seems exceedingly unlikely for something like that to pass - besides, if the EU negotiating team offer any kind of concessions because of the human factor or other such sentiments, you can guarantee that the Brexit crowd will take it as proof of their awesome they are and continue to shit on the EU... so why do it?

I mean, there's no need to be unreasonable or anything, but it's a negotiation - triggered by the UK - so expect a negotiation. And in a negotiation you represent your own interests and the interests of your constituent parties, not those of the people sitting on the other side of the table.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2016, 03:21:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 14, 2016, 02:24:30 PM

I don't see how the EU is under any obligation to be nice to UK during the Brexit negotiations. They ought - I think - to pursue the interests of the EU as a whole first, and the interests of the individual members second (though of course the interests of the EU as a whole is simply the aggregate balance of the interests of the individual members as a whole).

There's no reasonable argument for the EU to be indulgent towards an exiting UK beyond hypothetical EU self-interest... and if EU self interest points towards harsh terms, that's entirely reasonable IMO.

Personally I'd prefer an amicable, low-impact divorce, of course.

I think at least some here have pointed out that hard Brexit might be in short term political interests but not really in longer term interests of the EU. Doing what makes you feel good about yourselves is perhaps not the best way for a political union to be run.

After all, look at the UK. :D

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 14, 2016, 04:04:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2016, 03:29:37 PM

It seems exceedingly unlikely for something like that to pass - besides, if the EU negotiating team offer any kind of concessions because of the human factor or other such sentiments, you can guarantee that the Brexit crowd will take it as proof of their awesome they are and continue to shit on the EU... so why do it?

I mean, there's no need to be unreasonable or anything, but it's a negotiation - triggered by the UK - so expect a negotiation. And in a negotiation you represent your own interests and the interests of your constituent parties, not those of the people sitting on the other side of the table.

Won't the Brexit crowd continue to shit on the EU regardless? It isn't like their whole wanting Brexit was triggered by rational decision making.