Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 13, 2016, 07:55:12 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 13, 2016, 04:46:43 AM
I am saying that idiotic, unilateral German policies on refugees showed the weakness of Schengen (and generally, free movement of people) - the fact that if one country lets in all kinds of rabble, everybody else then has to contend with it.
And I am saying that Eastern Europeans voting for PiS or Fidesz and those governments not embracing any of the values of the EU, among the solidarity and basic human rights, is what is harming the EU. There doesn't seem to be much point in further political projects with the Visegrad group.

And the (mis)handling of the refugee crisis by Germany substantially helped PiS win with such a large margin in Poland. And it has also helped the Brexit vote and is boosting anti-EU elements (such as AfD, FN and others) in Western countries.

Zanza

Must be convenient to blame your own shitty political developments on foreign politicians.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2016, 08:59:38 AM
Must be convenient to blame your own shitty political developments on foreign politicians.

It's the Russian thing to do.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

I think you're vastly underestimating the amount of ill-will Merkel created by her demarche, and not only in the east.

alfred russel

The traditional scapegoat isn't so numerous in europe these days; adjustments need to be made.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 14, 2016, 12:46:15 PM

The traditional scapegoat isn't so numerous in europe these days; adjustments need to be made.

Huh? There are still plenty of Americans in....oh I get it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 14, 2016, 12:41:13 PM

I think you're vastly underestimating the amount of ill-will Merkel created by her demarche, and not only in the east.
I think you're vastly overestimating how much we care.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2016, 03:51:37 PM
I think you're vastly overestimating how much we care.

Spoken like a true German.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Merkel's refugee policy actually improved her image quite a bit in Spain, where she was universally despised until then.  :hmm:

mongers

Ongoing conflict within the Tory party or at least reaction against her tack to the right, for the 2nd day in a row my local MP has been on openly critical of May's new policies, yesterday in the Commons challenging her grammar school plans and today on the BBC defending the overseas aid budget; my MP is Desmond Swayne former PPS to and friend of David Cameron. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

So Mongers, how was this UKIP conference in your heck of woods/Lebensraum of Bournemouth? I mean locally. Or did you just avoided it like the plague?  :P

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 17, 2016, 04:18:30 PM
So Mongers, how was this UKIP conference in your heck of woods/Lebensraum of Bournemouth? I mean locally. Or did you just avoided it like the plague?  :P

:lol:

Luckily the political party I dislike the most held their conference in the town I like the least, so I didn't need to sweat it.  :P

Richard Hakluyt

Bournemouth is one of those really odd places, no real point to it, but for some unfathomable reason 350,000 people live there  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 17, 2016, 08:20:33 PM
Bournemouth is one of those really odd places, no real point to it, but for some unfathomable reason 350,000 people live there  :hmm:

God's waiting room?

Tamas

Fico, the Slovakian PM has been talking though, at one hand he declared that the Visegradians are going to veto any deal with the UK that reduces the rights of EU citizens in the UK, and that it is important that the EU makes sure, the UK will be worse off outside than inside, to show an example of what happens when somebody leaves