Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2016, 04:35:54 AM
At the risk of sounding like an old lady trying to join the conversation from another table again, are you guys talking about "aisles" vs "corridors" in the context of airplanes? Because I have always used "aisles" for that.

It is is pretty easy to work out if you wouldn't be so lazy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 25, 2016, 01:39:42 AM
I think corridors is the more usual term.

We haven't really bothered with grammar here in the UK for at least 50 years, I was never taught any till it became time to learn some French.
I don't think we've used corridors for 50 years or so, either. In train travel terms, you only have corridors when you have carriages.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2016, 04:35:54 AM
At the risk of sounding like an old lady trying to join the conversation from another table again, are you guys talking about "aisles" vs "corridors" in the context of airplanes? Because I have always used "aisles" for that.

I think you mean aeroplanes :P

Monoriu

Hong Kong's airline uses aisles.  I get either an "aisles" seat or a "window" seat.

Martinus

Martinus

I always pick an aisle seat if I have an option, by the way. Aisle seats are for pragmatists, window seats are for optimists. Middle seats are for masochists.

Monoriu

Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2016, 04:33:26 AM
Worst part of it is that regional dialects will pronounce the same word in wildly different ways. I gave up ages ago trying to figure out English pronunciation, I just wing it on the spot.

The Queen's pronunciation is by definition the correct one  :bowler:

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2016, 01:34:31 AM
Aisles is right.

It's the "were sat" that's mind bending. People in the US would assume you were fresh off the boat if you mangled grammar like that. The English teachers I had back in the day would have flayed you alive for that.
While not strictly grammatical, it's using the past participle as an adjective, which is acceptable.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Brazen on August 25, 2016, 05:32:09 AM

We haven't really bothered with grammar here in the UK for at least 50 years, I was never taught any till it became time to learn some French.
I don't think we've used corridors for 50 years or so, either. In train travel terms, you only have corridors when you have carriages.

:hmm:

Do you mean compartments rather than carriages?

I think you may be right though. It is off course possible that I have not talked about train corridors for 40 years or so, so haven't kept up, it is a bit of a limited topic  :D

Brazen

Quote from: Brazen on August 25, 2016, 05:32:09 AM

Though where Corbyn "was sat" wasn't the aisle between seats, it was where the toilets are between carriages. I checked the BBC report to see how they referred to it. They bottle out with "on the floor between carriages" :hmm:

Josquius

Wouldn't the bit near the door and the toilets be the hall? :p
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 24, 2016, 01:41:23 AM
So railway companies bid for franchises to run trains on the public network. There is nothing to stop a workers' cooperative bidding. As regards nationalisation I suppose we could have a halfway house where a state-owned rail firm bid for franchises  :hmm:
That's the situation in Germany. The state-owned railway corporation Deutsche Bahn is split into a part that operates the network and is extremely regulated and extremely subsidized and a second part (lots of them actually) that runs the trains and has to compete for the licenses to operate a guven route. There are lots of private competitors that also run trains, mainly local trains, few long distance. There were plans to privatize the state railway, but that has not been on the agenda for quite a while.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2016, 05:36:52 AM
I always pick an aisle seat if I have an option, by the way. Aisle seats are for pragmatists, window seats are for optimists. Middle seats are for masochists.
If you have a 2-2-2 business class configuration , the best seats are D and F (i.e. the middle 2) as you have an aisle and no one will ever have to climb over you. That's my preference in my Lufthansa profile.

Or were you talking about peasant class?  :yuk:

Just kidding, my gold status will end this year.  :(

garbon

Economy is painful but I'd prefer spend my few coins at my destination.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I'm just not getting it. What is the advantage meant to be with franchises running the profit making part of the railway?
All that comes to mind for me is it's easier for the government's numbers if they know they'll only have to pay x million rather than possibly earning y million or paying z milion.
██████
██████
██████