Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Brexit: Vote Leave chief who created £350m NHS claim on bus admits leaving EU could be 'an error'
Dominic Cummings also described the referendum as a 'dumb idea' - shaping up to be a 'guaranteed debxacle'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-vote-leave-director-dominic-cummings-leave-eu-error-nhs-350-million-lie-bus-a7822386.html

He mainly blames DExEU though.

Josquius

So...how about that Japan deal.
Shame it hadn't come a year and a half earlier....but the brexiters just look sillier and sillier.

Alas this really underlines what I've been saying for years. If brexit goes ahead the north east is FUCKED.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

If we don't count the seriously destabilised British political life and the years of Leaver fury that'd follow, I am really hoping we still end up with a Norway-like deal.

The EU will be better off with with more integration, and right or wrong the Brits would just never stand for that. Out of the political side but in the market and free migration side would probably be the best deal for everyone concerned.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on July 06, 2017, 11:03:40 AM
The EU will be better off with with more integration, and right or wrong the Brits would just never stand for that.

I doubt most other europeans would also stand for that, but no one is asking them. The EU isn't in the clear yet.

Valmy

I suspect the EU will muddle through in its current form.

QuoteI doubt most other europeans would also stand for that, but no one is asking them. The EU isn't in the clear yet.

Any serious reforms the EU does must be unanimous right? And it is your heads of government who need to agree correct? And you elect those people yes?

Sounds like you are about as consulted as a population can be. I mean nothing is going to have any Platonic purity about it, especially not a political body this big and diverse and complex.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

In most Western European countries the mainstream parties are broadly in favor of the EU. If you would like to vote for an anti-EU party, you would typically have to vote for leftist or rightist crackpots. Which then come in a whole package of unsavory policies. So if your only deviation from mainstream politics is your stance on the EU, there is no party you can vote for in most countries.

While that argument is often brought forth by EU opponents, I feel that it applies to many other policies as well, e.g. NATO membership to give a comparable one. Or universal healthcare which no reasonable party in Europe wouldn't support. ;)

Valmy

Yeah but plenty of EU members are not Western European countries :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on July 04, 2017, 07:30:18 PM
Brexit: Vote Leave chief who created £350m NHS claim on bus admits leaving EU could be 'an error'
Dominic Cummings also described the referendum as a 'dumb idea' - shaping up to be a 'guaranteed debxacle'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-vote-leave-director-dominic-cummings-leave-eu-error-nhs-350-million-lie-bus-a7822386.html

He mainly blames DExEU though.

QuoteTim Farron, the Liberal Democrat leader, seized on the comments, saying: "Dominic Cummings has let the cat out of the bag. This is the man who slapped the £350m NHS lie on the side of the bus who is now saying leaving the EU could be a mistake.
"These Brexiteers have sold us a pup and lied to the public. This is why I believe the public should be given a say on the final Brexit deal."

How would such a say work? Say yes to the deal or say no and get full hard Brexit with no deal at all?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

I guess the idea is to have a referendum on "Do you want to leave the EU with the deal below or do you want Britain to crawl to Brussels and ask the Euros to forget about the whole thing and continue being a member?"

The Brain

Plan's a good'un!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I've shared the map that shows how crappy the UK is vs. Europe a lot.

Today I discovered this tool that lets you compare just how screwed up Britain is and how the  the myth of perpetually poor east is bollocks.

http://imactivate.com/regionexplorer/absoluteeu/?options=true&columns=0,96,349,26,322,272
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on July 06, 2017, 03:53:08 PM

Today I discovered this tool that lets you compare just how screwed up Britain is and how the  the myth of perpetually poor east is bollocks.

http://imactivate.com/regionexplorer/absoluteeu/?options=true&columns=0,96,349,26,322,272

So basically the (English) city you hate the most is keeping your country afloat? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on July 06, 2017, 03:53:08 PM

Nice tool, but also shows that you selected data to fit your point. All the big countries have regions like England's North East:
http://imactivate.com/regionexplorer/absoluteeu/?options=true&columns=0,349,68,176,136,211

The Larch

Josquius

I was sharing the tool. Didn't realise the regions I'd been playing with were coming with it :blush:

QuoteSo basically the (English) city you hate the most is keeping your country afloat? :P
By sucking the life from the rest of the country so...yeah. :p
██████
██████
██████