Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Iormlund

Grandfathering in UK citizens residing in the EU would be the right thing, but does have a little problem. Money.

Who, for instance, will pay for the healthcare of retirees living in the Spanish coast? Is the EU going to subsidize it?

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on March 11, 2017, 05:03:36 AM
Grandfathering in UK citizens residing in the EU would be the right thing, but does have a little problem. Money.

Who, for instance, will pay for the healthcare of retirees living in the Spanish coast? Is the EU going to subsidize it?

I think they will NOT be happy by the minimum Spanish pension, which I think they are likely to receive.

Richard Hakluyt

Clearly the UK should carry on making payments for their healthcare in roughly the same way as we do now.

However, one of the reasons I was so stunned by Verhofstadt's comments is that they were so atypical of the current zeitgeist. What  I actually expect is a crappy deal (for both the EU and the UK) masterminded by the petty and mean-spirited people so typical of our current times. It is a damn shame, especially when anyone with a modicum of intelligence is well aware that this not a zero-sum game  :mad:

Crazy_Ivan80

piece of advice regarding Verhofstadt (or Verafstoot as he's occasionally referred as): don't believe anything he says.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 11, 2017, 08:42:33 AM
piece of advice regarding Verhofstadt (or Verafstoot as he's occasionally referred as): don't believe anything he says.

Yeah, I like the comments but don't expect it to happen.

Josquius

It is likely just manoeuvring to show that the Tories are the bad guys here, that the EU is willing to let us keep our rights but its the Brexiters who stop it from happening.
But even if thats the case then its better than nothing, boosts the chances enough people will support mending things in the future.

They're going to sign the suicide act this week...wonder how the pound will react. Up for a while due to an end of uncertainty?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 11, 2017, 05:15:58 AM

I think they will NOT be happy by the minimum Spanish pension, which I think they are likely to receive.

Why would they stop collecting their UK pensions? That has nothing to do with any Brexit deal.

And obviously there should be an arrangement in which healthcare would continue to be provided as it currently is.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2017, 04:28:56 AM
Even aside from it being awesome for me personally this EU citizenship for Brits who want it, detached from national citizenship, is a very interesting prospect. A big step forward in making de jure the world's move away from nation states.

I wonder to what extent the British / Irish situation could be something to learn from- Brits and Irish in each other's countries even pre EU being legally treat mostly the same as citizens of those countries. A legacy of the divorce.

A move away from "nation states" is the greatest evil and tyranny the world could ever know, and should be opposed by all lovers of freedom everywhere--and by violence if necessary.

Duque de Bragança

Richard Hakluyt

Aye, a Scottish generation is 3 years long it seems.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 13, 2017, 10:53:16 AM
Aye, a Scottish generation is 3 years long it seems.

It could be argued that circunstances have changed significantly...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 13, 2017, 09:19:40 AM
A move away from "nation states" is the greatest evil and tyranny the world could ever know, and should be opposed by all lovers of freedom everywhere--and by violence if necessary.

Lucky for us we're heading down the ethno-nationalist road these days, so violence is going to be addressed.

Richard Hakluyt

So all they need to do is to get 50%+1 of the votes once in a regular four-yearly event and that is the end of the UK. Doesn't seem a sensible way of running a country to me.

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 13, 2017, 11:06:24 AM
So all they need to do is to get 50%+1 of the votes once in a regular four-yearly event and that is the end of the UK. Doesn't seem a sensible way of running a country to me.

It's not as if the Brexit vote was much more stringent...

Richard Hakluyt

At least with Brexit they waited 41 years between votes.