Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Gups

Gups

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2024, 03:54:33 PMWhat's minimum wage in the uk, for reference?

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates

21 and over   18 to 20   Under 18   Apprentice
April 2024   £11.44            £8.60             £6.40             £6.40

So if you work fulltime, about 2,000 hours a year, and are 21 or over the minimum is 22,880 per year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

So roughly 50% above minimum wage. Posting is gone so can't see if it's a starting position . Never trust titles. They're cheaper then wages and easier to give away :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2024, 03:54:33 PMWhat's minimum wage in the uk, for reference?
11. 44 an hour Google tells me.
Though it's not much reference as it's shit and means poverty in London.
The living wage is apparently 13.15... Which sounds low. Maybe Google lies.

£30k a year sounds fine for a new graduate around here  to me. I could imagine living on that ok if single and with standards of just having my own bedsit being living it up. Though I dread to think in London.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Worth noting £33k is about the average civil service salary.

This is a problem I've mentioned before that retired senior civil servants have commented on, that basically the civil service does not pay for deep expertise. Basically your pay increases as you climb up the ladder to advise politicians, or if you're moving into management roles.

That makes it difficult to attract real experts into important roles like this. They're not valued within the civil service because they're not management and they're not on the traditional civil service hierarchy that peaks advising ministers.

In an ideal world you'd be paying at least double for someone on AI and be selling it as a "do something good for your country"/"really exciting opportunity to shape policy". I've been to events with the head of the Government Legal Department and that's basically their pitch - I think he was former Linklaters partner so made his money there and then moved into the civil service for interesting work/public service (and lower pay). As it is it'll probably be taken by someone in their early 30s between other roles.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Meanwhile they hire tonnes of contractors on £300+ a day rates (usually. Not much going now).

Really is weird they haven't sought to fix their pay structure.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2024, 04:31:46 PMMeanwhile they hire tonnes of contractors on £300+ a day rates (usually. Not much going now).

Really is weird they haven't sought to fix their pay structure.

How easy is it to fire civil servants?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on August 20, 2024, 04:05:34 PMSo roughly 50% above minimum wage. Posting is gone so can't see if it's a starting position . Never trust titles. They're cheaper then wages and easier to give away :D

this

Josquius

No idea about firing civil servants. Be the same as anywhere else I guess?

The responsibilities clearly weren't for a entry level position.
And in a country with such a broken gini coefficient that has spent the past 14 years circling the drain even double minimum wage would be way below what you would expect for a mid level role let alone the fairly senior responsibilities of this.

There are screenshots floating around social media of it, I don't have any to hand. No idea whether they filled it or withdrew it.

Edit - OK quick googling I find the listing elsewhere. https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/job-listing/poland-country-lead-department-for-international-trade-JV_IC2671300_KO0,19_KE20,54.htm?jl=1009388269559
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2024, 05:55:09 PMThe responsibilities clearly weren't for a entry level position.

Less than totally clear.

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2024, 05:55:09 PMNo idea about firing civil servants. Be the same as anywhere else I guess?

And in a country with such a broken gini coefficient that has spent the past 14 years circling the train even double minimum wage would be way below what you would expect for a mid level role let alone the fairly senior responsibilities of this.

There are screenshots floating around social media of it, I don't have any to hand. No idea whether they filled it or withdrew it.

Edit - OK quick googling I find the listing elsewhere. https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/job-listing/poland-country-lead-department-for-international-trade-JV_IC2671300_KO0,19_KE20,54.htm?jl=1009388269559

The job doesn't have to be in London, according to your listing:

"Location: Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Darlington, Edinburgh, London, Salford"

"National: £32,858-£34,586 London: £36,583-£38,272"

There's also a fantastic pension scheme equivalent to employer contribution of 27%. Given that's tax free, I'd say it's worth nearly £10K pa

It's at Higher Executive Officer level which is either entry level or second job. You don't need a degree and this role does not include any management requirements.

Incidentally, the UK's Gini co-efficeint is pretty much the same as it was 14 years ago

HVC

So turns out its an equivalent of double minimum wage for a entry level job for the government? Doesn't seem that bad to me.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on August 21, 2024, 02:42:01 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 20, 2024, 05:55:09 PMNo idea about firing civil servants. Be the same as anywhere else I guess?

And in a country with such a broken gini coefficient that has spent the past 14 years circling the train even double minimum wage would be way below what you would expect for a mid level role let alone the fairly senior responsibilities of this.

The job doesn't have to be in London, according to your listing:

"Location: Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Darlington, Edinburgh, London, Salford"

"National: £32,858-£34,586 London: £36,583-£38,272"

There's also a fantastic pension scheme equivalent to employer contribution of 27%. Given that's tax free, I'd say it's worth nearly £10K pa

It's at Higher Executive Officer level which is either entry level or second job. You don't need a degree and this role does not include any management requirements.

Incidentally, the UK's Gini co-efficeint is pretty much the same as it was 14 years ago

I'm dubious on the location given they have to work with the Polish embassy.

Thats a daft level name for a low level job. Though that would just indicate that this isn't a mistake and they really have listed a job with such high responsibilities at a low level.

As to a fantastic pension scheme... do people really give a toss about that when looking for a job? - perhaps when you're approaching pension age and are willing to drop down to entry level salary in exchange for this?

Not sure why thats relevant about gini being a similar level for the past decade. The Tories have fucked a lot but the UK wasn't exactly problem free even before them.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Psst you're the one that brought up the 14 year thing :D