Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

"I was shouting boo-urns!" in the wild in the riots (up to 1,000+ arrested and about 600 charged):
QuoteThe Recorder of Leeds, Judge Guy Kearl KC, said to Hoban: "You then started to imitate the manner in which Muslim people pray, in order to mock their religion and, at a slightly later time, you were chanting "Allah, Allah, who the f*** is Allah?"

The judge heard how, after his arrest, Hoban disputed this last statement, telling police he was chanting; "Who the f*** is Alan?"

Edit: Another spectacular defence from someone arrested for their part in the riots and possession of drugs is that he thought the cocaine he was carrying was a remedy for toothache :lol:

Edit: Incidentally - the Alan guy: 24 previous convictions for 66 separate offences including burglary, affray, possessing a bladed article, arson and "drug-related matters" (I am very surprised at the number of people apparently committing arson :huh:). I know it's not the Met, but I can see why "managing offenders" might be getting rated inadequate.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I mean he's only about 100 years off Re the cocaine.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2024, 04:37:41 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2024, 04:36:18 PMWhatever the case may be re: bloat we're going to see cuts under the upcoming Poilievre government; I expect it will primarily result in a reduction of service quality for Canadians and disproportionally hit the less well off.

But we'll see.

But how would a reduction of Federal employees cause a reduction of service quality for Canadians.  The Federal government provides very few services for Canadians.

Did you read the article I pasted?

You are very tedious to have conversations with on languish :(

Grey Fox

Did I miss where HVCs figure meant that the 25% works for the government is only for the Federal government?

We have 3 very deep layers of government in this country. They provide everything from transportation, education and health.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2024, 07:13:54 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2024, 04:36:18 PMWhatever the case may be re: bloat we're going to see cuts under the upcoming Poilievre government; I expect it will primarily result in a reduction of service quality for Canadians and disproportionally hit the less well off.

But we'll see.

But how would a reduction of Federal employees cause a reduction of service quality for Canadians.  The Federal government provides very few services for Canadians.

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2024, 07:13:54 PM

But we'll see.

Well if you Had read the article you may not be actually all that defensive about the fact that you made a pretty stupid comment.  If you understand anything about Canadian federalism, you immediately understand that having 25% of Canada's workforce working for the federal government is just nuts.

garbon

I saw the daily mail and daily express now want to charge if you want to reject them selling your data. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2024, 04:34:48 PMI saw the daily mail and daily express now want to charge if you want to reject them selling your data. :hmm:
:lol: :ph34r:

I know a lot about this. Not just them but also the Independent and the Sun and the Mirror. It's standard in Europe too (the UK regulator took a very strict view on this until earlier this year when their view changed for reasons, European regulators had different opinions but were broadly a lot laxer).
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 17, 2024, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2024, 04:34:48 PMI saw the daily mail and daily express now want to charge if you want to reject them selling your data. :hmm:
:lol: :ph34r:

I know a lot about this. Not just them but also the Independent and the Sun and the Mirror. It's standard in Europe too (the UK regulator took a very strict view on this until earlier this year when their view changed for reasons, European regulators had different opinions but were broadly a lot laxer).

The end run on GDPR.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 17, 2024, 06:04:55 PMThe end run on GDPR.
Sort of - but actually mainly the e-Privacy Directive. I will stop - I could literally write the world's most boring essay on this but with work been having conversations etc about this for about a year.

Very interesting to see how it's being received in the real world :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2024, 10:41:40 AMIn shit civil service salaries...

https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=b3duZXJ0eXBlPWZhaXImcGFnZWFjdGlvbj12aWV3dmFjYnlqb2JsaXN0JnNlYXJjaHNvcnQ9Y2xvc2luZyZwYWdlY2xhc3M9Sm9icyZvd25lcj01MDcwMDAwJnNlYXJjaHBhZ2U9MSZ1c2Vyc2VhcmNoY29udGV4dD05MTMwMTg3MiZqb2JsaXN0X3ZpZXdfdmFjPTE5MTgwMjQ=

Poland Country Lead, Department for Business and Trade.
Key responsibilities include Developing the UK's approach to trade with Poland.
Salary...
£32,858 - £38,272

Just seen another job at that salary range - Senior Policy Advisor on AI in DSIT :lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

That salary might work if I can actually work from somewhere in Poland where that salary might be enough to live on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

I wonder if these come with prime embezzlement/corruption opportunities we are not aware of, because having a low-30k-ish job in central London sounds like downright poverty to me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 20, 2024, 03:23:15 PMI wonder if these come with prime embezzlement/corruption opportunities we are not aware of, because having a low-30k-ish job in central London sounds like downright poverty to me.
They are on the standard civil service pay grades :ph34r: They will get a London supplement too.

Many opportunities to move into lobbyists/consultants after a few years.

The civil servants I know personally are incredibly bright, in no way corrupt, less well off than their university mates who went off to city law firms (:ph34r:) - possibly relatedly all also settled down pretty early with someone in a similar London middle class salary (for a couple).

Professionally the civil servants I've dealt with (in DSIT, coincidentally) are the poshest people I've ever met :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

My son has just graduated and is looking at that kind of salary range. Hard to do if you're paying rent though

HVC

What's minimum wage in the uk, for reference?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.