Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Suella Braverman will not be standing for the Tory leadership as the party "doesn't want to hear the truth" about why they lost. Or, more accurately, she doesn't have enough support among MPs to get on the ballot :lol:

I think she might well be in Reform by Christmas.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

I am sure he will be welcomed as an immigrant anywhere.

garbon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgr49q591go

QuoteHuw Edwards charged with making indecent images of children

Former BBC News presenter Huw Edwards has been charged with three counts of making indecent images of children.

The offences are alleged to have taken place between 2020 and 2022, according to the Metropolitan Police.

The broadcaster was arrested last November and charged last month, the force revealed on Monday.

He is due to appear in court in London on Wednesday.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "Huw Edwards, 62, of Southwark, London has been charged with three counts of making indecent images of children following a Met Police investigation.

"The offences, which are alleged to have taken place between December 2020 and April 2022, relate to images shared on a WhatsApp chat.

"Edwards was arrested on 8 November 2023. He was charged on Wednesday, 26 June following authorisation from the Crown Prosecution Service.

"He has been bailed to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, 31 July.

"Media and the public are strongly reminded that this is an active case. Nothing should be published, including on social media, which could prejudice future court proceedings."

The news was first reported in The Sun., external

Mr Edwards left the BBC in April.

He was previously the corporation's most high-profile and best-paid news anchor, one of the main presenters on BBC One's Ten O'Clock News, and was often chosen to front coverage of major national events.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

As expected really, the tories have left public finances in a worse state than they admitted.

And the tories keep whinging about how Labour are making excuses to raise taxes thus taking an obvious part of the solution out of play.

We are fucked aren't we?

Sorry for the twitter link but reeves speech on it is quite damning

https://x.com/Bounce_BackLoan/status/1817934700607926388?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1817934700607926388%7Ctwgr%5E4771e245cfaa614c88b1feb021b50873d5e4c982%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2024, 05:14:35 PMSuella Braverman will not be standing for the Tory leadership as the party "doesn't want to hear the truth" about why they lost. Or, more accurately, she doesn't have enough support among MPs to get on the ballot :lol:

I don't know if the party's big enough for her ego and Farage's.

Norgy

Quote from: Gups on July 29, 2024, 03:10:51 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2024, 05:14:35 PMSuella Braverman will not be standing for the Tory leadership as the party "doesn't want to hear the truth" about why they lost. Or, more accurately, she doesn't have enough support among MPs to get on the ballot :lol:

I don't know if the party's big enough for her ego and Farage's.

Like Top Gear, a Clarkson needs a Hammond.

Sheilbh

I feel like Farage and Anderson are going to have a massive falling out due to egos at some point, truly the Iran-Iraq war of pub bores.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 29, 2024, 03:46:46 PMI feel like Farage and Anderson are going to have a massive falling out due to egos at some point, truly the Iran-Iraq war of pub bores.

I mean, Farage has fallen out with everyone he has ever worked with. This is his now his third party and he had to set it up as a company with him as majority shareholder.

Gups

Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2024, 10:26:03 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgr49q591go

Former BBC News presenter Huw Edwards has been charged with three counts of making indecent images of children.

The offences are alleged to have taken place between 2020 and 2022, according to the Metropolitan Police.

The broadcaster was arrested last November and charged last month, the force revealed on Monday.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: "Huw Edwards, 62, of Southwark, London has been charged with three counts of making indecent images of children following a Met Police investigation.

"The offences, which are alleged to have taken place between December 2020 and April 2022, relate to images shared on a WhatsApp chat.

"Edwards was arrested on 8 November 2023. He was charged on Wednesday, 26 June following authorisation from the Crown Prosecution Service.

"He has been bailed to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, 31 July.

"Media and the public are strongly reminded that this is an active case. Nothing should be published, including on social media, which could prejudice future court proceedings."

He was previously the corporation's most high-profile and best-paid news anchor, one of the main presenters on BBC One's Ten O'Clock News, and was often chosen to front coverage of major national events.

A couple of his kids were at the same primary school as mine. I sat behind him at the school play once  :yuk:

Gups

Lots of important planning stuff being released today. Here's one of the press releases.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/housing-targets-increased-to-get-britain-building-again

It's good stuff. Quite radical. Some's been trailed before like reintroduction of mandatory housing targets, power for Govt to step in where councils drag their feet, requirement to identify usable grey belt land if Council can't find enough brownfield to meet its targets.

But some new stuff too - like a national scheme of delegation taking away some of the details from councillors and giving them to officer and review of right to buy.

garbon

Quote from: Gups on July 30, 2024, 02:34:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 29, 2024, 10:26:03 AMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgr49q591go

A couple of his kids were at the same primary school as mine. I sat behind him at the school play once  :yuk:

He's now plead guilty.:yucky:

Norgy

I think the BBC job interview methods may have room for improvement.
"So, Jimmy, why do you want to work for us? What motivates you?"
"It's for the children"
"Well, yes clearly, 'Top of the pops' is for the children. Anything else?"
"I get to meet Gary Glitter?"

Tamas

So we don't care about the little girls stabbed to death near Liverpool and the resulting fwr-right riots at a mosque, then?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 31, 2024, 06:26:44 AMSo we don't care about the little girls stabbed to death near Liverpool and the resulting fwr-right riots at a mosque, then?
Not much to say at this point beyond it being awful. I was going to post but I'm waiting for more facts because there's not much in the press yet (beyond horrifying eye witness reports).

Suspect there'll be a fair few reporting restrictions with an under 18 suspect in custody and no charges yet. Which is part of the context for the far right rocking up to a vigil for children with a multi-pack of cider.
Let's bomb Russia!