Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2024, 12:53:31 PM
Quote from: Josquius on January 28, 2024, 05:16:44 AM
Quote from: HVC on January 28, 2024, 03:21:49 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 28, 2024, 03:18:50 AMYes. As that's how it's spelled. Theres an A in it.

We pronounce the A too :unsure: so much so we do it twice :D

Oreg-no?

North Americans tend to put the emphasis on the first syllable - o-REH-gano, whereas Brits tend to put it on the third - o-re-GAH-no. Both pronounce the "A" sound.

No one watched my video  :(
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2024, 03:48:11 PMAll day on how we pronounce a word differently... :hmm:

You're free to liven up the conversation with engaging topics. Be the change! :hug:

I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

Admiral Yi

How do other English speaking countries pronounce urinal?  I had a bunch of Brit classmates at grad school and was gobsmacked to learn they pronounce it you-RYE-nal.  Maybe putting the stress on the wrong syLABle is a generalized English language tic?

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2024, 03:48:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 28, 2024, 03:40:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 28, 2024, 03:38:48 PMGod this is fucking dull. :(

Not into etymology?

All day on how we pronounce a word differently... :hmm:

If written and spoken forms of words would have more than a passing resemblance, this wouldn't happen. :p as a kid I never understood the spelling competition in American movies especially of course because they were dubbed to Hungarian and all of it was "well duh!"

Sheilbh

Not our fault we had a Great Vowel Shift :P

Edit: FWIW Old English spelling and pronunciation are consistent. So yet another thing that can be blamed on the Normans (French).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2024, 06:06:21 PMNot our fault we had a Great Vowel Shift :P

Edit: FWIW Old English spelling and pronunciation are consistent. So yet another thing that can be blamed on the Normans (French).

Can't blame the French for everything, you had another big shift in the late 1700s, early 1800s. You all sounded like yanks before that. And somehow you also forgot how to pronounce R's :D

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on January 28, 2024, 06:11:09 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 28, 2024, 06:06:21 PMNot our fault we had a Great Vowel Shift :P

Can't blame the French for everything, you had another big shift in the late 1700s, early 1800s. You all sounded like yanks before that. And somehow you also forgot how to pronounce R's :D

This myth angers me.
American is an offshoot of Mercian with scatterings of West country. You still find a lot of American features there.
Most Brits have never sounded that way.
If you're looking for the English accent closest to the original then it's up my way you need to look (if Frisian is counted as cheating anyway)
██████
██████
██████

HVC

BBC says differently  :whistle:

QuoteIt turns out that Brits in the 1600s, like modern-day Americans, largely pronounced all their Rs.

QuoteSo at least when it comes to their treatment of the 18th letter, Americans generally sound more like the Brits of several centuries ago. So do Canadians west of Quebec – thanks to loyalists to the Crown fleeing north during the American Revolution.

QuoteAs a result, although there are plenty of variations, modern American pronunciation is generally more akin to at least the 18th-Century British kind than modern British pronunciation.

And so on

*edit* sorry garbon :P

Josquius

Slightly more on topic but not really- have taxes just been dropped? :unsure:
My take-home salary seems to have gone up several hundred pounds. :unsure:

Quote from: HVC on January 28, 2024, 07:45:02 PMBBC says differently  :whistle:

QuoteIt turns out that Brits in the 1600s, like modern-day Americans, largely pronounced all their Rs.

QuoteSo at least when it comes to their treatment of the 18th letter, Americans generally sound more like the Brits of several centuries ago. So do Canadians west of Quebec – thanks to loyalists to the Crown fleeing north during the American Revolution.

QuoteAs a result, although there are plenty of variations, modern American pronunciation is generally more akin to at least the 18th-Century British kind than modern British pronunciation.

And so on

*edit* sorry garbon :P

This just deals with rhoticism. You still find that American-style in the west country.
There's more letters than just R in the alphabet :p

This guy's videos are good. Here is talks about the development of the London accent with time and shows where the R drops in the 18th century. This being the prestige dialect it then murdered the R in much of England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXv3Tt4x20&t=653s
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Beginning of the article focused on rhotic R, rest of the article is pronunciation in general.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2024, 01:11:40 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 28, 2024, 12:59:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2024, 12:53:31 PMNorth Americans tend to put the emphasis on the first syllable - OH-regano, whereas Brits tend to put it on the third - o-re-GAH-no. Both pronounce the "A" sound.

Meanwhile, in my German family we put the emphasis on the second syllable. o-REH-gano. :P

Anyone put emphasis on the final syllable? Then we have all four possibilities played through.

(Side note - a uni professor once flew off on a rant about someone saying paPYrus, i.e. the accepted German way, when the correct old Greek(?) pronunciation is PApyrus. nb: the py is pronounced close to "pee" in German :D )

That's actually what North Americans do too (I've edited my original post to reflect that  :blush: ). Perhaps that's the result of German influence in the Americas?

Everybody but the British pronounces it correctly. If you look at the video posted by HVC you will see why.

The real question is why have the British mangled the pronunciation.

Sheilbh

I dispute the whole idea of correct pronunciation. I thought we'd got over that and the need for BBC English/mid-century TV voice. There's understood or not. Sometimes it's the same everywhere, sometimes there's a really clear consensus - often there isn't.

No right and wrong - same with evolutions in grammar. At best there are pronunciations that carry specific meanings in certain contexts.

(As someone with a few American pronunciations in random words for reasons I can't explain :ph34r:)

Edit: Except for the Aussie and Irish pronunciation of data, which I think is wrong.
Let's bomb Russia!