News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scalia found dead at West Texas Ranch

Started by OttoVonBismarck, February 13, 2016, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Also note that Biden is saying that the hypothetical President should wait until the election season is over, not defer to the next President - in other words, wait until after the elections to nominate.

Probably not realistic in practice, but still different from what the Republicans are doing now.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 23, 2016, 05:24:34 PM
Also note that Biden is saying that the hypothetical President should wait until the election season is over, not defer to the next President - in other words, wait until after the elections to nominate.

Probably not realistic in practice, but still different from what the Republicans are doing now.

In fact, makes even less sense given that if the party of the presidency changes post-election, why would a senate controlled by same part as incumbent president want to agree with any picks by the outgoing president? Makes more sense to have it occur before the election than after.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on February 23, 2016, 05:20:58 PM
GOP confirms - no vote, and no hearings, on any Obama USSC nominee.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/senate-gop-supreme-court-219661
Is that really that surprising?  An outright refusal to govern, and to prevent anyone else from doing so is what the modern Republican does.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Well of course, they didn't even need to confirm that dude. But that is different from there being a rule.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 09:55:50 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2016, 09:52:51 PM

They'll cave.

Maybe if Hillary wins.

Nah.  They'll have Obama's radical left dream nominee confirmed by summer's end.

And no, Yi.  I won't put any money on it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I'm amused that you still believe that Obama is some radical leftist and that the Republicans are in the business of "caving" to the President.  I think this enormous disconnect with reality is a major reason the GOP is tearing itself apart.

"President wasn't impeached over Benghazi?  Clearly the GOP has sold out".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Well Obama does have a "Grand Bargain" with the GOP.

Martinus

Trump's take on this on Colbert was the most honest one I have seen to date - basically he said that if he were in Obama's position, he would nominate his candidate and try to push him through the Senate, and if he were in the Senate's position, he would oppose. No precedent or unwritten rules about it.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2016, 09:52:51 PM

They'll cave.

Of course, the candidates President Clinton or President Sanders will put forth if they wait will be 100% worse to their cause.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Not unless they get two votes instead of one.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

She will if half the Republican voters stay home, that's for sure.