News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scalia found dead at West Texas Ranch

Started by OttoVonBismarck, February 13, 2016, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2016, 02:05:20 PM
Anywho, I would agree that she's been fairly sedate in this primary-- practically robotic.  To go with that, her attempts at humor have been painfully lame.

She is not a politician in the campaigning stump-speech energize-the-crowd definition, and she would be the first to say that.  She has all the podium appeal of a chartered accountant at a compliance testimony.  She is a policy wonk, not a gladhander.

Unfortunately, she simply can't dodge being a woman, and some elements of the double standard is always going to exist:  whereas a man can get some bass in his voice when it comes to speaking to a crowd, she just sounds like she's yelling at you about folding your bathroom towels the right way.  It just makes you wince.  Even I can't stand listening to her rally coverage.  Now, debates and interviews, that's different.

QuoteWill be interesting to see how she reacts once Trump starts going after her.

The same way she has reacted to everything else he has said about her, and the same way she's dealt with people going after her over the last 30 years: like a lawyer.

LaCroix

re: why the republicans chose this particular strategy rather than simply reject nominees after they've been vetted, etc.

I'm under the impression that politicians with law degrees have more respect toward the judiciary. by refusing to review any nominee, republicans are allowed their politics while maintaining that respect for the judiciary. they're not personally rejecting a well-qualified candidate -- they're refusing to review any candidate.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2016, 02:05:20 PM
Will be interesting to see how she reacts once Trump starts going after her.

I think that there is where Trump is going to immolate himself.  She only has to not crack and he'll drive off everyone but the zealots.  Trumps strategy works in the primaries, but once he has to face an audience not made up of true believers, his facade will wear thin.  The only way Trump wins is if Clinton self-destructs before he can finish demolishing himself.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

President will be naming a nominee at 11. I hope he picks Trump's sister for maximum troll factor.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 16, 2016, 08:24:29 AM
President will be naming a nominee at 11. I hope he picks Trump's sister for maximum troll factor.

She's 78.

While I wouldn't put it past Trump to nominate her (is there anything I wouldn't put past Trump? :hmm:), no way Obama does.

He either nominates a moderate with some ties to the GOP (Srinavasan is the name that keeps coming up), or he nominates a strong liberal thinking " what the hell, the GOP will never nominate this person anyways".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

I had a really odd preturnatural thought that this thread update was going to be that the coroner's inquest found homicide as the cause of death.

Nomination of a S.Ct. Justice might deserve its own thread...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)