News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scalia found dead at West Texas Ranch

Started by OttoVonBismarck, February 13, 2016, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2016, 11:02:26 AM
There should be a different standard for a Supreme Court vacancy that would occur in the full throes of an election year. The president should follow the example of a majority of his predecessors and delay naming a replacement. If he goes forward before then, the Senate should wait to consider the nomination.

Some will criticize such a decision and say that it was nothing more than an attempt to save a seat on the court in hopes that a Republican will be permitted to fill it, but that would not be the Senate Republicans' intention.  It would be their pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is underway, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over.

One of problems with that view is, when is there ever a political off season in the US?

Berkut

The other problem with that view is that it is completely self-serving bullshit.

And I would say the exact same thing if it was a Republican President. Or an independent, or whig, or Know-Nothing Party...oh wait, I already mentioned them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

I dunno - the GOP is making hay with a clip from none other than Joe Biden in '92 saying Senate democrats should hold off on any USSC nominees.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

There should be a different standard for a Supreme Court vacancy that would occur in the full throes of an election year. The president should follow the example of a majority of his predecessors and delay naming a replacement. If he goes forward before then, the Senate should wait to consider the nomination.

Some will criticize such a decision and say that it was nothing more than an attempt to save a seat on the court in hopes that a Republican will be permitted to fill it, but that would not be the Senate Republicans' intention.  It would be their pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is underway, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over.

:lol:  The Onion, right?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

I actually don't think siege knowingly lied, I think he's just a fool.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 23, 2016, 01:00:46 PM
I dunno - the GOP is making hay with a clip from none other than Joe Biden in '92 saying Senate democrats should hold off on any USSC nominees.

I'm not sure that they are actually making any hay with that quote, nor does it fully reflect what he was actually saying.  Bumper stickers like that reinforce the beliefs of the true believers, but don't convince anyone who isn't sure which side is right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 17, 2016, 08:51:03 AM
He was obviously a fat guy, but "morbidly obese" seems a bit overkill. He was capable of moving around on his own.

Yeah, garbon is right on this, the standard for morbid obesity is such that most people who are 65+ lb overweight probably hit the BMI requirement, somewhat variable based on height. Just eyeballing Scalia I suspect he weighed 250-290lb, and he was only 5'7".

Berkut

Biden be a self serving d-bag in '92 hardly excuses them from being self-serving d-bags in 2016.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2016, 01:08:21 PM
I'm not sure that they are actually making any hay with that quote, nor does it fully reflect what he was actually saying.

Pshaw, he was saying the exact same thing that Republicans now are saying. The funny part is that there was no reason for him to say anything whatsoever on the subject.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Full throes? Oh FFS we have not even gotten to the convention yet. How long do these 'full throes' last?

If the election lasted three months or something sane I could agree to this. But the way it is now this is pure lunacy. I mean the new President will be sworn in on the 20th of January 2017, almost an entire year from now. Then we have to go through the entire nomination process while the new person is also selecting his or her entire cabinet and other positions. Are you honestly suggesting that things are more busy now than they will be then?

And bullshit that is not the Senate Republicans intention. The stakes are extremely high. If a Republican was President they would be rushing to get this process completed, and rightly so.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Who was that exactly? Thomas was nominated in 1991. Whizzer did not retire until Bill had already been sworn in.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 02:40:07 PM

Who was that exactly? Thomas was nominated in 1991. Whizzer did not retire until Bill had already been sworn in.

He was speaking theoretically.

And who is Whizzer?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 23, 2016, 02:43:21 PM

He was speaking theoretically.

And who is Whizzer?

Justice Byron 'Whizzer' White of course.

Eddie Teach

It was a hypothetical.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2016, 02:44:51 PM
It was a hypothetical.  :lol:

And how many people supported his hypothetical idea? Has anybody besides Biden in 1992 suggested this be a thing?