News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Scalia found dead at West Texas Ranch

Started by OttoVonBismarck, February 13, 2016, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2016, 01:18:15 PM
Pshaw, he was saying the exact same thing that Republicans now are saying. The funny part is that there was no reason for him to say anything whatsoever on the subject.

No, he wasn't, but there's no sense arguing about it because all I have is evidence (like the fact that Biden was not, in fact, speaking about a vacancy at all, since there was no vacancy on the court).  I don't think mere facts will persuade you, so let's drop it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 02:47:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2016, 02:44:51 PM
It was a hypothetical.  :lol:

And how many people supported his hypothetical idea? Has anybody besides Biden in 1992 suggested this be a thing?

You mean any Democrats, I assume. I think most had the good sense not to open their mouths when there was no vacancy to fill and the argument could just as easily be turned around on them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2016, 02:56:16 PM
No, he wasn't, but there's no sense arguing about it because all I have is evidence (like the fact that Biden was not, in fact, speaking about a vacancy at all, since there was no vacancy on the court).  I don't think mere facts will persuade you, so let's drop it.

Stop being dense. "If a Supreme court justice were to resign tomorrow or in the next several weeks..." He was discussing what he thought should happen if there was a vacancy.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2016, 03:01:44 PMStop being dense. "If a Supreme court justice were to resign tomorrow or in the next several weeks..." He was discussing what he thought should happen if there was a vacancy.

Stop being dense.  What he said was NOT "the exact same thing that Republicans now are saying."   You are now even admitting it.  You cannot have MY position. The Republicans are talking about an actual vacancy, not a hypothetical, and they are saying what action they plan to take, not what their personal preferences would be.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2016, 01:00:54 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2016, 11:02:26 AM
There should be a different standard for a Supreme Court vacancy that would occur in the full throes of an election year. The president should follow the example of a majority of his predecessors and delay naming a replacement. If he goes forward before then, the Senate should wait to consider the nomination.

Some will criticize such a decision and say that it was nothing more than an attempt to save a seat on the court in hopes that a Republican will be permitted to fill it, but that would not be the Senate Republicans' intention.  It would be their pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is underway, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over.

:lol:  The Onion, right?

Even better-- The Biden!  :D

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/us/politics/joe-biden-argued-for-delaying-supreme-court-picks-in-1992.html?_r=0
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 03:19:47 PM
:lol: Awesome.

You got me there Spicey  :blush:

Very small consolation for Texas sweeping WVU in basketball this year :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Not the highest bar to find something stupid said by Joe Biden.
Of course it is also safe to say the same GOP usual suspects active then and now took differing positions as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2016, 03:23:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 23, 2016, 03:19:47 PM
:lol: Awesome.

You got me there Spicey  :blush:

Very small consolation for Texas sweeping WVU in basketball this year :mellow:

That was nice wasn't it?

I lost my shit last night watching Texas play Kansas State. Even the bottom feeders in this league are damn good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2016, 03:17:45 PM
There should be a different standard for a Supreme Court vacancy that would occur in the full throes of an election year. The president should follow the example of a majority of his predecessors and delay naming a replacement. If he goes forward before then, the Senate should wait to consider the nomination.

Some will criticize such a decision and say that it was nothing more than an attempt to save a seat on the court in hopes that a Republican will be permitted to fill it, but that would not be the Senate Republicans' intention.  It would be their pragmatic conclusion that once the political season is underway, and it is, action on a Supreme Court nomination must be put off until after the election campaign is over.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/us/politics/joe-biden-argued-for-delaying-supreme-court-picks-in-1992.html?_r=0

Well played.  :bowler:

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 23, 2016, 03:44:24 PM
Well played.  :bowler:

He has done that before with Obama. I should have been ticked off that Spicey would never say something that stupid and figured it must have been a politician :weep:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2016, 03:09:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2016, 03:01:44 PMStop being dense. "If a Supreme court justice were to resign tomorrow or in the next several weeks..." He was discussing what he thought should happen if there was a vacancy.

Stop being dense.  What he said was NOT "the exact same thing that Republicans now are saying."   You are now even admitting it.  You cannot have MY position. The Republicans are talking about an actual vacancy, not a hypothetical, and they are saying what action they plan to take, not what their personal preferences would be.

:jaron:

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 23, 2016, 03:17:45 PM

Even better!  Was this before, or after, he was born in a small mining village in Wales?

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 23, 2016, 04:09:04 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 23, 2016, 03:09:12 PM

:jaron:

:lol:  I told you that I knew it was useless to argue facts with you.  You think "if you touch my sister, I will kill you" and "you touched my sister, so now I'm going to just kill you" are "the exact same thing" because that fits your narrative.  Facts can't overcome determined ignorance.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.