News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Ok 52-28 with 3 minutes left. Wyo should win this and have more wins than coach Bohl had in his 1st two seasons.  PDH feels ok.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

Quote from: grumbler on November 05, 2016, 09:09:14 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 05, 2016, 08:58:37 PM
He is definitely a bit of an asshole.

All coaches are a bit of an asshole.  So are all refs, and all players.  It goes with competition and with rules enforcement.  The only real asshole thing I can think of from Harbaugh was going for 2 against USC up by 27 with 6 minutes to go in 2009.  The card would say go for 1, and there didn't seem to be any extraneous factors (like there were in the Rutgers games when Michigan went for two).

He's definitely a high-intensity type coach, and those guys have a tendency to wear out their welcome.  That certainly seemed to be what happened in SF, though I have no idea what really went on there.  Don't know that being high-intensity by itself makes someone an asshole, though.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on November 06, 2016, 09:41:03 AM
He's definitely a high-intensity type coach, and those guys have a tendency to wear out their welcome.  That certainly seemed to be what happened in SF, though I have no idea what really went on there.  Don't know that being high-intensity by itself makes someone an asshole, though.

I agree that he is high-intensity, and that he is probably too gung-ho for the pros.  I don't think it was his intensity that cause the SF owners to cool on him, so much as the sharp disagreements about what kind of players to recruit and who to retain at what cost.

I don't think the "wears out his welcome" narrative has any real basis, either.  Every team he has left, bar the 49ers, was anxious to keep him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Huzzah to Navy.  Hell of a game.

PDH

Wyoming 7-2 with three games left.  How does that feel to a long time (since 1984 at least) fan?  Sweeeet.

You fans of teams that win all the time need to try out the misery of a fan of an awful team that climbs to mediocrity every now and then (only to inevitably fall back to the dumps again).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

I don't wanna. I like being spoiled.  :)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Jim Harbaugh's teams keep doing the most ruthless stuff late in blowout wins

Personally, I always preferred the contemplative introspection of Steve Spurrier.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 09:26:42 PM

Personally, I always preferred the contemplative introspection of Steve Spurrier.

Personally, I love lazy journalism like this.  There's no attempt to show the other side of this, just the lazy assumption that Harbaugh wants to run up the score, and then selecting evidence that supports the assumption, and then shitting out an "article."  People who pay attention can tell how shit these articles are.

Harbaugh calls for a fake punt in the fourth quarter because his third-string players have never run one in a game before, and the experience will be valuable even if it fails.  He challenged the spot because a first down means he can kneel for three plays and nobody risks injury running another play (he got the first on the next play, and then went to victory formation and knelt out the last two plays - he could have had the team score, but didn't. That doesn't fit the narrative, so the writer doesn't mention it).

It doesn't matter, of course.  Harbaugh just wins.  Its unfortunate that he gets press like this, but he doesn't himself care.  He didn't care about what the press said when he was a player, and he doesn't care as a coach.  It does make his press conferences fun.  Not Mike Leach fun, because he doesn't have Leach's sense of humor, but still fun.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Yeah, bit of an asshole.

He doesn't care that he is a bit of an asshole, but that is part of being a bit of an asshole.

Can we have him when you guys are done with him?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 06, 2016, 10:04:13 PM
Yeah, bit of an asshole.

He doesn't care that he is a bit of an asshole, but that is part of being a bit of an asshole.

Can we have him when you guys are done with him?

Are you not entertained?  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRbhoR6eIM0

I thought you guys may have had enough with recycling Michigan coaches.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 06, 2016, 09:26:42 PM

Cool. At least College Football still has interesting personalities even if they are all coaches.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on November 06, 2016, 09:13:08 PM
Wyoming 7-2 with three games left.  How does that feel to a long time (since 1984 at least) fan?  Sweeeet.

You fans of teams that win all the time need to try out the misery of a fan of an awful team that climbs to mediocrity every now and then (only to inevitably fall back to the dumps again).

Must suck you are no longer there to enjoy it.

Most of my angst in this department is usually provided by my pro teams...though lately they have been doing really well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2016, 10:49:42 PM
Must suck you are no longer there to enjoy it.

Given that I lost all my teaching money I would be watching on ESPN like the rest anyway.  Even Wyomingites can't afford Wyoming.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Well.....the defense seems better....

CountDeMoney

Look at that, beating up the punter like that.  Harbaugh thugs.