News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The new football year starts, appropriately, with the SEC whining about Jim Harbaugh out-thinking them again (same start as last year!  :lol:)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25478600/sec-looking-to-block-michigan-from-holding-spring-practice-in-florida

QuoteThe SEC has asked the NCAA to prohibit college football teams from holding spring practice during spring break, commissioner Greg Sankey told CBS Sports on Tuesday.

The move is obviously a direct response to Michigan's recent announcement that it would conduct part of its spring practice at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

Coach Jim Harbaugh said on National Signing Day that the Wolverines would begin practice at IMG during their spring break from Feb. 27 to March 6.

There is currently no NCAA rule prohibiting such a move.

"Our primary reaction [is] that, in the face of the time-demand conversations, we've got one program taking what has been 'free time' away," Sankey said. "Let's draw a line and say, 'We didn't think of that' err 'That's not appropriate.'"

A free trip to Florida with all your buddies over Spring Break?  What a hardship!  Thank Hod the SEC is here to save student-athletes from such exploitation!  I don't think that the SEC quite understands the financial bind faced by athletes that have no bag men to pay for their Florida vacations.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Georgia's got another top 10 recruiting class and kept the highly rated qb prospect who signed under Richt. So that's good.

OTOH, with the losses of Jenkins and Floyd it's hard to see them competing with the top SEC west teams defensively.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Wyoming might win more than 2 games!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on February 09, 2016, 08:30:29 PM

Dave Christensen got canned at A&M. Man how the mighty have fallen.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

I sacrificed a bull to Urban Meyer.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 09, 2016, 09:12:53 PM

He gains strength through your rituals supplicant.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2016, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 09, 2016, 08:30:29 PM

Dave Christensen got canned at A&M. Man how the mighty have fallen.

From the powerhouse of Wyoming, to OC of Utah to now fired at A&M.  Likely he will next be seen at the OC of some pathetic team, like Colorado State or something.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2016, 09:19:06 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 09, 2016, 09:12:53 PM

He gains strength through your rituals supplicant.

He is Sol Invictus. Through him, we prosper.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

I really have no idea what to expect from the Wildcats this year.

I think fundamentally, they are not really going to be a contender until they can start landing some top level talent. Arizona has always been trying to outplay their talent level, but at the end of the day, over the long run, you are basically who you recruit.

And recruiting in the last third of the Pac-12 won't get you much better than middle Pac-12 results assuming you have good coaching, with an occasional (and frankly lucky) jump into contention when you strike gold with some 2-star recruit or a few of them who turns out to be a lot better than expected.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

You can get really good players from 2 and 3 star recruits. You just have to grab the guys who make a lot of progress right at the end of their High School careers, after most of the offers have already gone out. You have to be a pretty cold blooded coach to risk waiting that long though.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2016, 12:27:38 PM
You can get really good players from 2 and 3 star recruits. You just have to grab the guys who make a lot of progress right at the end of their High School careers, after most of the offers have already gone out. You have to be a pretty cold blooded coach to risk waiting that long though.

You can do that of course, but there is a limit to how much success that will have over the long run, as I said.

Believe me, Arizona football has been living on the "ID the guys everyone else missed on and coach them up!" strategy for a long, long time. It has gotten us some great players.

But at the end of the day, that isn't really the way to create a perennial contender.

I find it funny how Arizona fans, as an example, manage to switch their brains on and off about recruiting when you talk to them about football (Recuiting rankings don't matter! The ratings are all bullshit! We can contend anyway! Diamonds in the rough! Who cares about 4 star recruits?) and basketball (What? A four star guy? Why we would even look at him???).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2016, 12:22:57 PM

And recruiting in the last third of the Pac-12 won't get you much better than middle Pac-12 results assuming you have good coaching, with an occasional (and frankly lucky) jump into contention when you strike gold with some 2-star recruit or a few of them who turns out to be a lot better than expected.

Pac 12? Maybe so. But are you guys building to win the Pac 12? It seems you have the blueprint to compete in the old Big East. And if you can find a diamond in the rough QB, start him for four years, look out CFB World! Also, look out for Pitt. :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2016, 12:35:58 PM
But at the end of the day, that isn't really the way to create a perennial contender.

Does Arizona football have the support necessary to be a perennial contender?  The facilities, administrative backing, attendance, etc?  Honest question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2016, 12:35:58 PM

In order to contend Arizona would need at least need to lock down their home state. I don't get the feeling four and five star Arizonans are staying home.

Granted I am mostly basing that on the fact that those two Scottsdale QBs ended up going to Texas schools. I could be wrong there,