News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Black History Month Everybody!

Started by Valmy, February 01, 2016, 12:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 02, 2016, 08:14:16 PM
I'll eat some fried chicken and watermelon.

I find this very offensive.

Neither Haiti nor France grew significant amounts of Watermelon during the Revolution :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Watermelon is healthier than eating pure sugar cane.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

Valmy, I am curious: what have been your sources on the history of Haiti?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Lettow77

So brave  :cry:

In a just world, he would have lingered but a short time longer with the French Military and suppressed the Algerian insurrection with Le Pen.

As it is, there is every reason to hope and believe his half-Vietnamese daughter will restore the House of her father over the good people of Central Africa and regenerate that troubled land.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Duque de Bragança

We needed a Bokassa reference on Languish!  :lmfao:
Thanks Lettow!  :cheers:

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 04, 2016, 02:27:57 AM
Valmy, I am curious: what have been your sources on the history of Haiti?

I have read two books in my life about Haitian Revolution:

1. This children's book I had as a kid:

2. The Black Jacobins

I have, of course, seen it covered numerous times in books about the French Revolution and Napoleon though.

Mike Duncan is covering it presently in his podcast: http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

Do you have any recommendations?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on February 05, 2016, 08:23:46 PM
BHM,  :punk: time to celebrate at taco bell.

What does BHM have to do with tacky border food fast food joints? :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2016, 04:26:22 PM
I have read two books in my life about Haitian Revolution

I think it is awesome, on both counts. I did not know about the illustrated book. I will also check the podcast.

I was curious, because want to know what filtered out in the general public in the US about the Haitian Revolution. I teach a class on the French and Haitian Revolutions and was debating separating them into two different courses, and was wondering about the draw of the HR for students.

LaCroix

only people I can see being especially interested by haitian revolution are black students, for the most part. if there's a sizable black community on your campus, go for it. but otherwise, I don't think students would care much about HR to take a course on it. I'd keep it together, maybe have a section on it with direct comparisons to FR. also, a class or two on why the american revolution succeeded versus the FR would be worthwhile (americans kept the structure of their society; was more an external revolution than internal, while the FR was more internal, which led to impact on foreign relations).

Oexmelin

Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2016, 12:45:55 AM(americans kept the structure of their society; was more an external revolution than internal, while the FR was more internal, which led to impact on foreign relations).

its a good thing a came across this, otherwise, I would never have known what is the right thing to say in the classes I teach at the college level.

LaCroix

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 08, 2016, 01:03:39 AMits a good thing a came across this, otherwise, I would never have known what is the right thing to say in the classes I teach at the college level.

with the quality of some college level courses, you can never be too sure  :P

plus for anyone else reading the thread. for me, that was one of the more interesting things I learned from an undergrad history course

Eddie Teach

Those who can't legally operate guillotines, teach courses on the French Revolution.