News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Black History Month Everybody!

Started by Valmy, February 01, 2016, 12:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Post your favorite French Revolution black people here:

Yes did you know the patriotic and brave General Thomas-Alexandre Dumas once beat the entire Austrian Army all by himself? True story.

Enemies to the revolution shall quake when denounced by Jean-Baptiste Belley in la Convention nationale.

And could injustice and oppression stand before the righteous fury of the great Vincent Ogé? The answer is: yes. Yes it could. RIP.

And Julien Raimond, who I cannot find a picture of, was a tireless campaigner for liberty and equality...which allows us to forgive his slave owning ways.

Of course you could discuss black people from other places and other eras...but why?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I love his pose and facial expression in that portrait. :D

celedhring

The French shall shiver in fear at the sight of Jorge Biassou, leader of the victorious Haitian revolt and General of the Spanish Army during the war of the First Coalition.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Toussaint L'Ouverture, ruler of Haiti until his defeat by Bonapartists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

A truly great man. Who knew the winningrighteous path -_-

Bonaparte fucked up, but he knew jack shit about international trade and colonial matters. His policies in those areas were always spectacularly bad.

celedhring

My man Jorge and Toussaint were pals until they split and ended in opposing sides in the colonial front of the First Coalition war.

Then Spain switched sides, and sent my dude to Florida to bore himself marching a small negro detachment in Saint Augustine.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2016, 02:57:26 PM
My man Jorge and Toussaint were pals until they split and ended in opposing sides in the colonial front of the First Coalition war.

Then Spain switched sides, and sent my dude to Florida to bore himself marching a small negro detachment in Saint Augustine.

Toussaint was smart and was following the news from Europe. When the French started winning he swapped. Also the full abolition of slavery as one of the last moves done by the Jacobin led Republic probably didn't hurt.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:51:32 PM

Bonaparte fucked up, but he knew jack shit about international trade and colonial matters. His policies in those areas were always spectacularly bad.

To be fair, every European ruler's policies regarding international trade and colonial matters in this era were always spectacularly bad. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 03:01:03 PM

Toussaint was smart and was following the news from Europe. When the French started winning he swapped. Also the full abolition of slavery as one of the last moves done by the Jacobin led Republic probably didn't hurt.

Yet he ended up hanged by them  :P

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2016, 09:35:49 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 03:01:03 PM

Yet he ended up hanged by them  :P

Well, imprisoned (to die miserably in jail), anyway. Not that this is an improvement.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 02, 2016, 08:26:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:51:32 PM

To be fair, every European ruler's policies regarding international trade and colonial matters in this era were always spectacularly bad. 

But when all of your other initiatives are such impressive successes (at least in the era we are talking about) your miserable failures stand out more.

Ed Anger

I'll eat some fried chicken and watermelon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".