And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Black History Month Everybody!

Started by Valmy, February 01, 2016, 12:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on February 20, 2016, 01:16:51 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2016, 10:48:25 AM
do we have stats on that?  'Cause I think lots of white people end up dead in that same situation too, in the US.
Maybe white people are less likely to protest arrest because they feel it's racism, though.

No stats, but based on anecdotal evidence, a bunch of white men have not only just resisted and protested arrest, but occupied a federal building, threatening to shoot policemen with rifles in the process. None were harmed.

None were harmed, but one was shot to death?  Okay...
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2016, 10:48:25 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on February 08, 2016, 05:51:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2016, 05:38:23 PM
Except I think that's wonderful advice for people of any colour in dealing with misbehaving authority figures.  Don't argue with the man holding a gun.  There are ways to seek your redress later on.

Except that arguing with an officer - which is something I would suggest can happen, out of the sheer sense of injustice, when you know you are innocent of any wrongdoing -  when you are white can send you to jail. Arguing with an officer when you are black can send you to the morgue.
do we have stats on that?  'Cause I think lots of white people end up dead in that same situation too, in the US.
Maybe white people are less likely to protest arrest because they feel it's racism, though.

Black or white, you're most likely NOT going to get shot during interaction with the police, even if you're being rude and uncooperative.  Granted, your chances of not being shot are better if you're white, but then again, your chances are also better if you're being polite and cooperative.  You can't really do much about whether you're black or white, but you can do something about whether your being polite and cooperative or not.  So really, your best bet, regardless of your race, is to be polite and cooperative.

I'll further grant that many cops take an obnoxious attitude that makes you want to be rude and uncooperative with them, and it can take a lot of self-discipline to not mouth off (or worse) to them, and that I personally haven't always been polite and cooperative.  And interestingly, when I've actually done something wrong I've been more polite and cooperative than when I haven't actually done anything wrong, so the idea that you're just being hassled by the cops without any good reason leads to you being, uhm, difficult has some merit--at least it's anecdotally true in my case.)

And to be clear, by being cooperative, I don't mean that you should waive any of your rights, and, yes, I realize that  some (many, most?) police officers will classify insisting on exercising your rights as being "uncooperative".

garbon

Just say 'yes massa' and it'll be alright.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Yes, because not being actively confrontational is equivalent of slavery. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2016, 02:08:14 PM

No way. That would imply I resent them on some level. And when some Texas Cop is losing his shit because you rolled through that one stop sign that is just a bad idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2016, 03:20:54 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on February 09, 2016, 08:25:55 AM
It may be that no man before or since has brought such fear to the hearts of white oppressors. No eulogy could be enough for this proud African warrior, but his memory lives on.

Wait is that supposed to be Hannibal? Huh. Well I guess nobody can prove he DIDN'T look like that.

Actually I think that was suppose to be Demaryius Thomas coming to join the Broncos in Denver.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2016, 02:08:14 PM

There are court officials in Ontario with the official title of "Master" (you address them as "Master [Smith] or just plain "Master"). They are lower on the judicial totem pole than judges, often dealing with stuff like scheduling motions. Being lesser, they are stereotypically reputed to have serious Napoleon complexes, and hassle young lawyers unmercifully over trifles.

One of the law students I articled with was a sassy Black chick, who said she found it difficult not to make fun of this fact.  :D The temptation to say "yes, massa" when being unreasonably hassled by one of these dudes must have been overwhelming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_(judiciary)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius