News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Black History Month Everybody!

Started by Valmy, February 01, 2016, 12:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 09, 2016, 07:38:13 AM
I always provide the possible essay prompts before the exam, and even let the students bring notes.  If they can answer all of the essay questions before the exam starts, the exam has already served its purpose, and the students have gotten everything they can get from the course.  Nothing can stop willful ignorance.
it used to be that we could bring our notes for finance and stats exams, or at the very least, one sheet of notes/formulas, but my university later changed the policy to no notes at all, not even a formula sheet.  That puts the emphasis on learning like a drone, imho, rather than understanding what you do.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2016, 10:54:40 AM
I always provide the possible essay prompts before the exam, and even let the students bring notes.  If they can answer all of the essay questions before the exam starts, the exam has already served its purpose, and the students have gotten everything they can get from the course.  Nothing can stop willful ignorance.
it used to be that we could bring our notes for finance and stats exams, or at the very least, one sheet of notes/formulas, but my university later changed the policy to no notes at all, not even a formula sheet.  That puts the emphasis on learning like a drone, imho, rather than understanding what you do.

I was a master at formula memorization. My grand stack of flashcards was a sight to behold come graduation. I have to say this skill is of limited utility as a professional Engineer :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

My notes were always how to spell certain words.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2016, 10:59:49 AM

I was a master at formula memorization. My grand stack of flashcards was a sight to behold come graduation. I have to say this skill is of limited utility as a professional Engineer :hmm:

I always sucked at formula memorization.  The only D I ever got was in a Mineralogy course, which primarily revolved around trying to memorize the chemical composition of different minerals.

I was so happy when I learned that law school had open book exams. :weep:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 09, 2016, 10:59:49 AM

I was always about the divided, foldable page. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 09, 2016, 08:25:55 AM
It may be that no man before or since has brought such fear to the hearts of white oppressors. No eulogy could be enough for this proud African warrior, but his memory lives on.

Wait is that supposed to be Hannibal? Huh. Well I guess nobody can prove he DIDN'T look like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2016, 03:20:54 PM
Wait is that supposed to be Hannibal? Huh. Well I guess nobody can prove he DIDN'T look like that.

That's exactly how I assume a descendant of Phoenician aristocrats would look like!  :D

Next up: how Cleopatra, descendant of generations of Macedonian inbreeding, was Black.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Yeah, I thought we had a pretty good idea what Punics/Phoenicians looked like, and surely it isn't like that.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on February 11, 2016, 03:47:54 PM
Yeah, I thought we had a pretty good idea what Punics/Phoenicians looked like, and surely it isn't like that.

From Lettow's write up it is Nat Turner, like I said.  It looks a lot more like him (except for the hat) than it does Hannibal (or his brother Hasdrubal).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I'd say the colonizers had done a fair amount of sinning by Turner's time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Hannibal Burress, maybe.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 11, 2016, 07:12:25 PM
I'd say the colonizers had done a fair amount of sinning by Turner's time.

Yes, but their since hadn't been undone yet.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ancient Demon

Wait is that supposed to be Hannibal?

I don't know, maybe it's one of those other African leaders who lead an army of elephants across the Alps.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2016, 10:48:25 AM
Maybe white people are less likely to protest arrest because they feel it's racism, though.

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on February 09, 2016, 10:48:25 AM
do we have stats on that?  'Cause I think lots of white people end up dead in that same situation too, in the US.
Maybe white people are less likely to protest arrest because they feel it's racism, though.

No stats, but based on anecdotal evidence, a bunch of white men have not only just resisted and protested arrest, but occupied a federal building, threatening to shoot policemen with rifles in the process. None were harmed.