News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Black History Month Everybody!

Started by Valmy, February 01, 2016, 12:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 08, 2016, 01:44:07 AM
Those who can't legally operate guillotines, teach courses on the French Revolution.

Au Revoir, Felicia
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 07, 2016, 09:17:35 PM
I think it is awesome, on both counts. I did not know about the illustrated book. I will also check the podcast.

I was curious, because want to know what filtered out in the general public in the US about the Haitian Revolution. I teach a class on the French and Haitian Revolutions and was debating separating them into two different courses, and was wondering about the draw of the HR for students.

I think Americans would be fascinated by the Haitian revolution if they knew anything about  it, which they generally don't.  I think any course you would offer on just Haiti would have to follow from a more general course, else you'd have no takers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

On topic to the thread title (:P), I thought it was interesting how Beyonce embraced a more 'political' black stance with her new video/song.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/beyonce-formation-video_us_56b67a09e4b08069c7a789e6

QuoteBeyoncé Is Back And Unapologetically Black In New Music Video

It's official: Beyoncé is back, she's "got hot sauce in her bag" and she's as unapologetically black as ever.

Queen B surprised us all on Saturday by dropping "Formation," a new song and accompanying music video -- and, needless to say, both are incredible.

The song, which runs nearly five minutes and was released the night before the singer's scheduled Super Bowl performance, is fierce, funky and freaking phenomenal. But what separates the video from most of her other mainstream work is its messages relating to race, identity and black culture.

The video is filled with some pretty powerful imagery, including a sinking New Orleans police car, a young kid in a black hoodie dancing in front of a lineup of cops, and a wall painted with the words "Stop Shooting Us." Oh, and there's a glorious cameo from Beyoncé's daughter, Blue Ivy, who's rocking her natural hair.

Basically, the video is a representation of the best of #BlackGirlMagic, #BlackLivesMatter and #BlackPride.

The video quickly drew praise from singer Solange, Beyoncé's younger sister who has never been one to stay quiet about important issues of race

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on February 08, 2016, 03:20:14 PM
How are you apologetically black?

Yeah let's not have this discussion in this thread.

QuoteOn topic to the thread title

This is not history it just happened :angry: :P

QuoteI thought it was interesting how Beyonce embraced a more 'political' black stance with her new video/song.

I think it is a natural thing as you get older and want to make more of a difference in the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2016, 03:26:10 PM

Yeah let's not have this discussion in this thread.

Probably best to stay well away from that in general come to think of it. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Just saw this in a book when I searched it:

QuoteBlack people are not allowed it seems, under any circumstances, to ever have a human reaction to police error or harassment.  Even in Post-racial America....You are not allowed to get mad. You are not allowed to vice your opinion...You are supposed to be apologetically black. Sorry for being an obvious target of racism. How are you be born this color and attract this negative attention? I'm so very sorry for being born black in America. How can I make this up to you, Mr. Officer?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

This is not history it just happened :angry: :P

It draw on historical imagery. :P

I think it is a natural thing as you get older and want to make more of a difference in the world.

Maybe though I don't know if most people become more radical as they age. That said, makes sense that now where she is established in her career she can make more pointed political-social statements.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2016, 03:37:53 PM
QuoteBlack people are not allowed it seems, under any circumstances, to ever have a human reaction to police error or harassment.  Even in Post-racial America....You are not allowed to get mad. You are not allowed to vice your opinion...You are supposed to be apologetically black. Sorry for being an obvious target of racism. How are you be born this color and attract this negative attention? I'm so very sorry for being born black in America. How can I make this up to you, Mr. Officer?

Not allowed? They seem to be pretty loudly outraged about it. Generally a lot of people seem think justifiably so. So by whom? People who do not like black people anyway? Do they speak for everybody? And are the opinions of racists supposed to be given enormous weight and consideration?

I mean we may quibble about tactics or actions by this group or that individual but that is different.

But it does reference 'officer' so perhaps this is related to a specific incident involving a protest and some police.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2016, 03:39:11 PM
Maybe though I don't know if most people become more radical as they age. That said, makes sense that now where she is established in her career she can make more pointed political-social statements.

I don't know if that is such a radical statement. It seem pretty topical. But granted maybe I should watch the video, maybe it does have some radical statements I do see her flipping me off there. :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2016, 03:45:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2016, 03:39:11 PM

I don't know if that is such a radical statement. It seem pretty topical. But granted maybe I should watch the video, maybe it does have some radical statements I do see her flipping me off there. :P

It isn't radical in the context of things people are saying at large, but in the context of Beyonce who has mostly spent her musical time waxing lyrically about trying to get on a man or break up with a man, it is quite a shift. After all it is a message that has a power to alienate some.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2016, 03:43:18 PM

Not allowed? They seem to be pretty loudly outraged about it. Generally a lot of people seem think justifiably so. So by whom? People who do not like black people anyway? Do they speak for everybody? And are the opinions of racists supposed to be given enormous weight and consideration?

I mean we may quibble about tactics or actions by this group or that individual but that is different.

But it does reference 'officer' so perhaps this is related to a specific incident involving a protest and some police.

I think you can include as part of this as covering the people who say that black people should be speaking calmly and rationally about the issues they have been facing for years and years as if being wellspoken ever got people to give a damn.

Barrister

Just saw this in a book when I searched it:

Except I think that's wonderful advice for people of any colour in dealing with misbehaving authority figures.  Don't argue with the man holding a gun.  There are ways to seek your redress later on.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2016, 05:31:22 PM
It isn't radical in the context of things people are saying at large, but in the context of Beyonce who has mostly spent her musical time waxing lyrically about trying to get on a man or break up with a man, it is quite a shift. After all it is a message that has a power to alienate some.

I read an article way back about some marginal figure named Martin Luther King Jr. who somewhat qualifies your otherwise excellent observation.