Main Menu

2016 - The Global Economic .... What?

Started by mongers, January 20, 2016, 02:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2016, 11:29:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 21, 2016, 11:15:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2016, 11:04:49 PM
That is pretty much the definition of cherry picking.  Seeking out a stat to support an assertion that the rest of the evidence you have ignored disproves.  China has been a rising economic power for a while now.  I am not sure why people feel the need to ignore that fact - except for ideological reasons or being petty on Languish.
Another reason could be that we may know the difference between position and rate of change of position.  You could both be a rising power and yet have ways to go.  Despite what way too many people think, the strength of the economy is measured in GDP, not in GDP growth rates.

Sounds more like a very effective way of trying to ignore how far and how quickly they have come.
Know when to concede an argument.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 21, 2016, 11:51:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2016, 11:29:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 21, 2016, 11:15:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2016, 11:04:49 PM
That is pretty much the definition of cherry picking.  Seeking out a stat to support an assertion that the rest of the evidence you have ignored disproves.  China has been a rising economic power for a while now.  I am not sure why people feel the need to ignore that fact - except for ideological reasons or being petty on Languish.
Another reason could be that we may know the difference between position and rate of change of position.  You could both be a rising power and yet have ways to go.  Despite what way too many people think, the strength of the economy is measured in GDP, not in GDP growth rates.

Sounds more like a very effective way of trying to ignore how far and how quickly they have come.
Know when to concede an argument.

:huh:

The argument I was responding to was essentially what has the Party done for China".  Go back and check your stats and compare where they were before the Party decided to begin the economic transformation and where they are now.

Zanza

And for the effect on the world economy, the GDP PPP per capita of China is less important than the sheer absolute size of its economy in nominal terms.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2016, 11:44:54 AM
And for the effect on the world economy, the GDP PPP per capita of China is less important than the sheer absolute size of its economy in nominal terms.

Yeah, someone would have to be living under a rock for at least the last 10 years not to notice the effect China has had on the world economy.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The Party has been in control of China since 1949. I'm not sure another type of government wouldn't have done better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 22, 2016, 11:51:24 AM
The Party has been in control of China since 1949. I'm not sure another type of government wouldn't have done better.

Ok, beyond that fact that you are engaging in pure speculation - akin to the Bush Jr.'s theory that all Iraq needed was democracy - the Party did have this impact.  Which is the point that seemed to be under attack.

Valmy

Being a key part of the world's economy and political order are China's natural position, it was going to assert itself eventually no matter who was in charge.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

So they've improved their position vs imperial bureaucracy. Western nations are still far richer. Even the ones with smaller economies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 22, 2016, 12:05:31 PM
So they've improved their position vs imperial bureaucracy. Western nations are still far richer. Even the ones with smaller economies.

ok, backpedal noted.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2016, 11:42:40 AM

The argument I was responding to was essentially what has the Party done for China".  Go back and check your stats and compare where they were before the Party decided to begin the economic transformation and where they are now.
From what I could see, you were responding to and disagreeing with the argument that China still has ways to go.  And that argument was a very common conflation of GDP and GDP growth rates.  Yes, China as a country already has a lot of economic power (GDP), is still growing quickly (GDP growth rate), but still has ways to go when it comes to development (GDP per capita).

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on January 22, 2016, 12:05:06 PM
Being a key part of the world's economy and political order are China's natural position, it was going to assert itself eventually no matter who was in charge.
There is no "natural position" in the world order. A mismanaged country can stay poor and insignificant even if it has a huge population. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2016, 12:09:51 PM

From what I could see, you were responding to and disagreeing with the argument that China still has ways to go.  And that argument was a very common conflation of GDP and GDP growth rates.  Yes, China as a country already has a lot of economic power (GDP), is still growing quickly (GDP growth rate), but still has ways to go when it comes to development (GDP per capita).

Go back then and re-read.  Good example of strawmen being created to backtrack on a rather silly initial statement.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 22, 2016, 12:12:42 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 22, 2016, 12:09:51 PM

Go back then and re-read.  Good example of strawmen being created to backtrack on a rather silly initial statement.
I did.  You claimed China doesn't have a long way to go economically.  PW brought up the statistics that is most appropriate for measuring "how far the country has to go economically".  You called it "cherrypicking".  Then you spent the last half of this thread digging while in the hole and claiming that everyone else is backtracking.

alfred russel

If we look at China as a whole (and not just a handful of cities), China is a poor shithole. It used to be a really poor shithole. Because it has a massive number of people, this change has had a profound effect on the world economy.

I think everyone can agree on the above?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014