News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 - The Global Economic .... What?

Started by mongers, January 20, 2016, 02:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

So anyone care to guess what the World economy is about to enter or has already?

What are you economicalls, well versed in the division and diversion of colourful waters, going to call it as and name it?

Anyone care to have a punt, almost literally if DG is involved?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on January 20, 2016, 02:27:30 PM

So anyone care to guess what the World economy is about to enter or has already?

What are you economicalls, well versed in the division and diversion of colourful waters, going to call it as and name it?

Anyone care to have a punt, almost literally if DG is involved?

I don't know if it's real helpful to talk about the global economy though.

Minsky was posting some stuff about rumbles of bad things happening in China.  I've seen those rumbles as well.  Looks to be bad for the Chinese, and is probably going to be negative for commodity producers.  BUt frankly China doesn't buy a whole lot from the rest of the world - they're a deeply protectionist company.  A slowdown there isn't going to have serious negative repercussions (outside of commodity prices - which they do buy) for the rest of the world.

Everything I've seen has said the US economy is strong, and getting stronger.  They seem to be doing fine.

Canada is a tale of two regions.  Alberta is suffering from a sucking chest wound.  We will survive, but it's very ugly right now.  Central Canada is doing... okay.  the two probably balance out to flat growth, but it masks the divergent directions of the regions.

Oil producers will continue to suffer.  Russia, Saudi, Gulf States... all in for bad times.

Europe - I don't have a great handle on Europe.  They seem to be doing okay.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

While BC is expected to continue to outpace the rest of the country in job and economic growth.  Katmai might have to immigrate to BC or Ontario as movie productions surge back to life with the lower loonie. 

Grinning_Colossus

My superficial reading of events is that energy is too cheap, so the world economy is collapsing.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Barrister

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 20, 2016, 02:44:47 PM
My superficial reading of events is that energy is too cheap, so the world economy is collapsing.

But that makes no sense.

Cheap oil is FANTASTIC for everyone who isn't an oil producer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 02:46:11 PM

But that makes no sense.

Certainly isn't. A lot of Danish companies that invested in green energy consumption or production are hurting because they can't compete with the oil prices.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Damn, now that things were on the up over here.

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on January 20, 2016, 02:51:13 PM

But that makes no sense.

Certainly isn't. A lot of Danish companies that invested in green energy consumption or production are hurting because they can't compete with the oil prices.

Okay - cheap oil is FANTASTIC for anyone not working in the energy sector.

That's still a big majority of the world.

Liep

Not just working in the energy sector. One of the biggest companies here produces enzymes to better the efficiency of bio fuel. Also companies who invested heavily in more fuel efficiency isn't getting the expected advantage over competitors, etc.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 02:53:53 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 20, 2016, 02:51:13 PM

But that makes no sense.

Okay - cheap oil is FANTASTIC for anyone not working in the energy sector.

That's still a big majority of the world.

Not fantastic for Gaia.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2016, 02:53:31 PM
Damn, now that things were on the up over here.

Cheaper oil is good news for most Spaniards.

Martinus

I will wait until someone who has the slightest idea of what's going on comments in this thread.

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2016, 03:27:38 PM
I will wait until someone who has the slightest idea of what's going on comments in this thread.

Do we even know for certain that something is going on?