And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 - The Global Economic .... What?

Started by mongers, January 20, 2016, 02:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Liep on January 20, 2016, 03:28:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2016, 03:27:38 PM
I will wait until someone who has the slightest idea of what's going on comments in this thread.

Do we even know for certain that something is going on?

Certainty typically comes only after the 'event'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on January 20, 2016, 03:28:57 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2016, 03:27:38 PM
I will wait until someone who has the slightest idea of what's going on comments in this thread.

Do we even know for certain that something is going on?

What we know:

-oil at lowest prices since 2002-2003
-the baltic shipping index is really low, indicating little global shipping
-hard to tell, but bad stuff happening in the Chinese economy - stock market tanking, maybe imposing currency controls

And that's it.  It's stuff the perma-bear, buy-gold-and-canned-goods crowd is using to point to the coming armageddon, but nothing to get overly excited about.

Unless you live in oil country, or China.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Markets are doing rather poorly in the last few trading days.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 20, 2016, 03:56:41 PM

Tends to say very little about the health of the overall economy.

The US created almost 300,000 jobs last month - a much better sign of a robust economy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 04:00:38 PM

The US created almost 300,000 jobs last month - a much better sign of a robust economy.

The problem is the US economy is creating hundreds of thousands of jobs per month without increasing average hourly earnings very much, a sign that the vast majority are low-quality jobs and that the currently-employed are increasingly worse-off.

MadImmortalMan

You're right. Traders like to think the markets reflect the future rather than the present. But in reality even that is often wrong.

Caliga

I wasn't following the market today (too busy) but around 10 am I started getting all kinds of low stock price alerts, some of which I set like ten years ago and totally forgot about. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 20, 2016, 04:04:46 PM

The problem is the US economy is creating hundreds of thousands of jobs per month without increasing average hourly earnings very much, a sign that the vast majority are low-quality jobs and that the currently-employed are increasingly worse-off.

Agreed.  That is the most troubling long term trend.   It is also happening here to some extent although our, until now, robust commodity extraction sector has masked the problem.  The good news for us at least is now that the loonie has collapsed non commodity extraction based businesses are beginning to thrive and even non energy commodity producers who service the US will get a bit of a boost.   But for us to fully recover the US has to recover.

The Minsky Moment

US

+ the stock market has been going down because of earnings weakness, not just change in sentiment.
+ Job growth remains solid but the trend is definitely heading down.
+ Now looks more and more like the Fed tightened prematurely.
Bottom line - US may avoid recession but it is unlikely to be an engine for growth. 

Europe:  The ECB finally got in gear last year but took a cautious line at the last meeting despite continuing lowflation.  There are still big coordination problems in the EZ and the politics aren't getting easier to manage.  Bottom line: not optimistic about prospects for improvement.

China:  the wildcard.  Pace BB - the trade/GDP ratio for China is above 40% - not enormously high compared to smaller countries but quite respectable compared to the US (low 20s).  The wild commodity cycle is testament to China's global economic impact.    It is clear that growth is trending down.  The best that can be said is that the Party will do everything it can to cushion it. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 20, 2016, 05:09:09 PMThe best that can be said is that the Party will do everything it can to cushion it.

The question about that is whether the Party's intervention will prove positive or negative in the end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 20, 2016, 05:14:41 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 20, 2016, 05:09:09 PMThe best that can be said is that the Party will do everything it can to cushion it.

The question about that is whether the Party's intervention will prove positive or negative in the end.

But the Party has been intervening all along. 

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2016, 05:16:48 PM

And look where it's got them.

PJL

I suspect that because of increased immigration, the NAIRU level is now lower than it has been historically. So instead of 5% for countries like the UK/US, it's probably more like 3-4%. In other words, I doubt real wages will rise significantly until unemployment hits those levels. In that respect the Fed rate rise was probably premature.

A similar effect was observed in the years after World War 2, except that was caused by ex-servicemen joining civvy street.

Fate

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 20, 2016, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 20, 2016, 05:16:48 PM

And look where it's got them.

Second biggest economy in the world? And shortly to be the biggest in the next decade...