News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2016

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 07, 2016, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Waino's pitching has gone from shit to not-great.  He can pitch not-great the rest of the year if he keeps hitting triples & HRs, though.

My kid's baseball games & practices keep getting rained out.  Games will be made up, but his worthless coach won't make up practices.  So I put him in a pitching clinic Sunday at the local baseball academy, where he received instruction from none other than Don Gullett Jr.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Switched to the Cavs - Hawks game just as the 8th inning of the Rangers - Tigers game started with the Rangers trailing 0-2.  Texas won 8-3.  Grand slam and 7 runs in the 8th.  Of course.   :rolleyes:

Didn't even watch the basketball game.   Just had it muted while surfing the intertubes.

derspiess

Watching the Tigers-Orioles game, just because I haven't watched a game in Camden Yards in ages.  I still hear Gary Thorne's voice and think I should be watching a hockey game.  He has a hockey voice, not a baseball voice.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Yeah, while Joe Angel is no Jon Miller, the Orioles radio team is much more basebally.

Gary Thorne sounds like he's supposed to be calling out the time left on a power play, but he does love the game.   

I do miss Jon Miller.  Stupid Peter Asbestos.  :mad:

derspiess

For whatever reason I have "Tabaracci - SAVE!!!" stuck in my head from him doing ESPN hockey in the 90s.

derspiess

Okay, watching Royals-Yankees now.  Basically killing time until Angels-Cards.  Btw how on earth have the Cardinals played the Angels twice since Pujols left and neither time has the game been in St. Louis??

derspiess

So the wife informed me tonight that her best friend (or one of her 4 best friends, depending on when you ask her) is going to be in Chicago next month and that we "have" to go.  I've been to Chicago about as many times as I want in this lifetime, so I was lukewarm on the idea until i realized the Cardinals were going to be in town during that time.  YES MA'AM we're going.

Admiral Yi

You wearing your gang colors to the park?

jimmy olsen

Red Sox  :showoff:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-pitchers-of-all-time/

No. of Top 100 peak games by Pitcher Score rating
Pedro Martinez 55
Randy Johnson 25
Greg Maddux 18
Roger Clemens 2
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2016, 08:22:47 PM
Okay, watching Royals-Yankees now.

:(

Not sure what's up in Royals land.  They're not terrible, but not exactly looking to repeat either.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on May 13, 2016, 12:13:17 AM
Quote from: derspiess on May 12, 2016, 08:22:47 PM
Okay, watching Royals-Yankees now.

:(

Not sure what's up in Royals land.  They're not terrible, but not exactly looking to repeat either.

Regressing to the mean?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2016, 12:07:33 AM

Pedro Martinez 55
Randy Johnson 25
Greg Maddux 18
Roger Clemens 2

Ok, this doesn't make much sense. Many other pitchers have had "perfect games" so how can they say Martinez has had 55 games that were better than those?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 13, 2016, 12:07:33 AM

Pedro Martinez 55
Randy Johnson 25
Greg Maddux 18
Roger Clemens 2

Silly article.
Game Scores were not designed as an overall pitcher rating system, and are not fit for that purpose.  They are useless for comparisons across time, because of big variations in K rates and K/BB ratios over historical eras.

Whenever you see a rating system in which Dazzy Vance is the leading pre-war pitcher, it's a sign that too much weighting is being given to strikeout totals.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 12, 2016, 08:49:59 PM
You wearing your gang colors to the park?

Of course.  I won't be the only one.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 14, 2016, 06:06:32 PM
Of course.  I won't be the only one.

Do things ever get unpleasant, or is it all just friendly joshing?