News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2016

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 07, 2016, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2016, 04:45:05 PM
His left foot hit the ground before the base.  The rest of his body is somewhat elevated, but not above Odor's knee. 

Yeah, you can see where it started dragging by the kicked up dirt about two-ish feet short of the bag before he landed on his knee on the base.  I'm not sure you can honestly call that a real attempt to get down before the base, which is why I said he wasn't really.  It doesn't matter either way though, since dude was blatantly obviously sliding through the fielder and didn't give a single shit about being safe with how far off he came, and that's enough for the rule no matter what.  It wasn't even kind of a "bona fide slide.   vOv  Double play, punch to the face, more batters beaned, suspensions for everyone!  Baseball is fun again!

E:  This came across my twitter feed just now:  http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15581044/mlb-commissioner-stand-three-hour-baseball-games

Rangers pitching is shaky enough as it is.  No need to start rushing them with timers and such, damn.  I also don't know why they need to come up with some magical rules, when all it would take is cutting out a couple of commercials between innings.   :D  Nbd, right?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2016, 04:48:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2016, 04:45:05 PM
Yi: you must be "able to" and "attempt" to reach base with hand or foot, and "able to and attempt to remain on the base [presumably with any part of the body] after completion of the slide."

If one hand is good enough you could slide three feet wide of the bag and be OK.

Except you also can't change your pathway for the purpose of initiating contact.
Didn't look like Bautista did that either though. Sliding through the fielder on a straight path is explicitly permitted, unless done in a way such that the runner is unable or doesn't attempt to stay on the base after completion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2016, 03:28:54 PM
He didn't lead with his face.  He was facing down Odor and got sucker punched.

That was in no way a sucker punch. They were squared up to go at it, and it looks like Bautista was winding up to throw a punch of his own.

Freddy Gonzalez, he got sucker punched. Fired, and found out by getting a check in notification from Delta that he had an early flight home while on a road trip.  :lol:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

e:
QuoteFreddy Gonzalez, he got sucker punched. Fired, and found out by getting a check in notification from Delta that he had an early flight home while on a road trip.  :lol:

That's just ice cold.

--------

So Bartolo Colon did....this:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15593253/bartolo-colon-new-york-mets-sued-child-support

QuoteColon, who has been married to his wife, Rosanna, for 21 years, was sued one year ago by 38-year-old Alexandra Santos, who alleges the 42-year-old pitcher hasn't paid child support for two children he fathered with her.

The suit, according to the Post, was filed as "Anonymous v. Anonymous," but because Colon represented himself at one point, he is listed as an attorney in the case.

The newspaper reported that documents in the case are sealed and that Colon and Santos signed a confidentiality agreement last month. The sides are due to be in court again next month.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 18, 2016, 05:08:13 PM
since dude was blatantly obviously sliding through the fielder and didn't give a single shit about being safe with how far off he came,

"It is impuhrite to sride.  Brings dishonor to team and ancestors."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 18, 2016, 07:59:02 PM
"It is impuhrite to sride.  Brings dishonor to team and ancestors."

Yu Darvish would own the shit out of Mr Baseball.  Shuuto, shuuto, shuuto.  Sit down and put your round sunglasses back on, dork.

CountDeMoney

Yu Darvish :wub:  He's such a dreamy Squall Leonhart, with a cutter like Adamantine.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 18, 2016, 08:13:37 PM
Yu Darvish :wub:  He's such a dreamy Squall Leonhart, with a cutter like Adamantine.

:lol:

Just fired up Mr Baseball.  I was planning on going to bed early, but not anymore!  THANKS SEEDY

CountDeMoney

You have a hole in your swing. 

derspiess

After 39 years of attending MLB games, I finally got a ball at a game last night.  Granted, it was during Indians batting practice and it's an Arizona Spring Training ball, but I'll take it.  I got all soft and handed it over to Tommy so he can have all the glory.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

I got my first last year.  Lorenzo Cain foul ball at Yankee stadium.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

A guy in a section next to mine caught two foul balls in one at bat.

Mine was off Napoli's bat, right before they finished BP.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

I got a ball at a braves game a few years back. A sharply hit ball was going to the empty seat next to me, and I tried to barehand it. I didn't catch the ball, but it fell by my feet and I picked it up.

I'm sort of pissed that I didn't catch it cleanly. It would have been badass. I lost my chance at glory. As it was, there was a loud, "Thump!" when it hit my hand / wrist and the stadium went "oohhh!" and some stadium guy came over to ask me questions and make sure my hand was okay.

It is kind of a bittersweet memory for that reason. Cool I got a ball, crappy I lost my chance at a possible sportscenter highlight.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2016, 01:36:42 PM
After 39 years of attending MLB games, I finally got a ball at a game last night.  Granted, it was during Indians batting practice and it's an Arizona Spring Training ball, but I'll take it.  I got all soft and handed it over to Tommy so he can have all the glory.
That was a hell of a game last night.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on May 19, 2016, 04:59:47 PM
I got a ball at a braves game a few years back. A sharply hit ball was going to the empty seat next to me, and I tried to barehand it. I didn't catch the ball, but it fell by my feet and I picked it up.

I'm sort of pissed that I didn't catch it cleanly. It would have been badass. I lost my chance at glory. As it was, there was a loud, "Thump!" when it hit my hand / wrist and the stadium went "oohhh!" and some stadium guy came over to ask me questions and make sure my hand was okay.

It is kind of a bittersweet memory for that reason. Cool I got a ball, crappy I lost my chance at a possible sportscenter highlight.

Shoulda leaned over and taken it square in the face.  That'd get you on Sportscenter.