News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 13, 2016, 05:57:36 PM
I have been lurking this thread for a while now. It has been responsible in convincing me to step foot in a gym for the first time in my life back in the fall. Have been going ever since. Special thanks to Berry and Dorsey who have normalized and encouraged in non-competitive ways every attempt at getting in shape.

:cool:

Excellent.

Next you'll be getting a bike?   :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

I have been lurking this thread for a while now. It has been responsible in convincing me to step foot in a gym for the first time in my life back in the fall. Have been going ever since. Special thanks to Berry and Dorsey who have normalized and encouraged in non-competitive ways every attempt at getting in shape.

:cheers:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

So there was a thunderstorm on the way home from work.  Man, biking into 30 mph winds with pelting rain makes it unfun.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on June 12, 2016, 07:49:08 PM
BB, three things:

1) Neither you nor i nor probably anyone else here will ever achieve anything great athletically. Even if you work really hard at running, every race you run you will probably get smoked by lots of others (I know I do). So, take pride in what you accomplish, because getting off the couch and being able to run ~4 miles is not something many people do.

2) If you keep running 40 minutes, you are going to improve quickly.

3) I think that is awesome. Seriously.

Thanks so much for the kind words Dorsey, Brazen and Lusti. :hug:

I'm trying to stick with an unambitious Mon-Wed-Fri running schedule.  So tonight was my first run since that other one.  Completely different - I was looking forward to it since I got home (had pesky kid's soccer and bedtime before that).  Went out felt great.  Looking back on it my times got better every km.  Did the same 5.8km despite a couple minutes less time.  Felt awesome ever since.

Maybe I'm starting to get why people like doing this for fun (instead of just a generalized 'feeling good for taking care of your body').

Now a lot of that could have been due to just perfect weather - cool, not too hot.  Watch my next run just suck.

Oh, and I kind of chuckled when at the end of my Zombies, Run! there was a cheesy yet touching death scene by another runner, and then Sam says "Was that just Ace Rimmer"? :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: PDH on June 13, 2016, 11:01:18 PM
So there was a thunderstorm on the way home from work.  Man, biking into 30 mph winds with pelting rain makes it unfun.

After Google converted that to a proper unit, namely m/s, I can easily agree. Actually, any of those two would make it unfun. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Brazen

:thumbsup:

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2016, 11:44:40 PM
Oh, and I kind of chuckled when at the end of my Zombies, Run! there was a cheesy yet touching death scene by another runner, and then Sam says "Was that just Ace Rimmer"? :D
I'm such a ZR fangirl. I won a draw to meet the team at the launch of season three. Would it spoil the illusion if I told you Sam is a bald, white, middle-aged guy?

Legbiter

Just remember to have fun with it along the way.  :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on June 14, 2016, 06:04:40 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 13, 2016, 11:44:40 PM
I'm such a ZR fangirl. I won a draw to meet the team at the launch of season three. Would it spoil the illusion if I told you Sam is a bald, white, middle-aged guy?

Not really.  I mean it's voice work - it could be done by anyone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Inspiring article. Note how his manlet runner syndrome went into complete remission. :thumbsup:  Gonna go lift something heavy.

QuoteHall, whose personal best in the marathon was 2:04:58, retired from running at age 33, because chronically low testosterone and extreme fatigue would no longer allow him to train at the level necessary to compete....

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/thats-not-fat-how-ryan-hall-gained-40-pounds-of-muscle
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 13, 2016, 11:01:18 PM

But in retrospect good fun, no?

I'ts been like that for much of the week here, managed to get out for 0.75 hour this evening for a quick 12 miles in between the heavy showers. That was pretty much it for this weeks exercise.  :(

mongers

Gets boring having to go find this thread and bump it, though I guess that's a form of exercise, right? :unsure:

This Sunday went for a 20 mile maintenance ride around the forest before the rain set in.

Last Sunday I was in London and reckon I walked 17-18 miles between and in museums etc. 

That's a big number for me as I rarely walk anywhere, set aside I think it took my legs 3-4 days to recover, I'm thinking maybe I should do some long evening walks hereabouts.

So what's a good starting distance and walking in fields/forest/tracks should be easier than walking on hard city streets? :unsure:

Josquius

My trouble walking that far isn't tiredness but the pain on my feet. It's pretty standard when I'm travelling that I cover so much in a day.

I've noticed the digital scale at the gym and my analogue scale at home give me 1.5kg different rate. My home scale says I'm lighter. I like that scale. Its friendly.
Operation weight loss seems to be going backwards, despite behaving healthier this year than last I'm also heavier and seem to have developed boobs. :(
██████
██████
██████

Liep

Quote from: mongers on June 26, 2016, 01:27:38 PM
So what's a good starting distance and walking in fields/forest/tracks should be easier than walking on hard city streets? :unsure:

Depends on how hilly it is I guess, I remember London as being very flat, but forest tracks usually aren't.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

I mentioned this in the other forum but I don't think I posted here.  A few weeks ago I started riding my bike to work.  Its a bit of a climb coming home but I have come to really enjoy it.  Also I have dropped a lot of weight.  I am going to wait a few more weeks and then have my suits back to the tailor to have them resized  :D