News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on July 21, 2016, 01:54:48 PM
Third day done, wasn't a pretty sight at times.
Just had my feet all bandaged up, off to bed.

Congrats!

You have to update us on when the last signs of blisters go away. My hunch is it will be a long long time.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I lost 16 pounds!  I cut out soda and sugary drinks at the beginning of this summer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2016, 08:52:44 PM
I lost 16 pounds!  I cut out soda and sugary drinks at the beginning of this summer.

Helps a lot.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2016, 08:52:44 PM

Not really a weight loss that fits in the fitness thread :P, but congrats on a good choice!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: mongers on July 21, 2016, 06:26:36 PMMust be a fun sort of ride those 29ers (? my assumption).

It's a 26" but with 80mm rims and 4 inch tyres

Quote from: mongers on July 21, 2016, 06:26:36 PMKudos for building a new wheel, I had a mate who was a natural genius at doing building and truing wheels, me not at all.

Also you've reminded me I've a ton of bike maintenance to do, or should I just prevaricate and go on an evening ride tomorrow instead?  :blush:

My wheel held up fine on a 30km ride today, but the bottom bracket gave a ticking sound at each pedal turn, more maintenance coming up! But tbh, with the weather being this nice it's hard to stay home fixing a bike when I've two others that work just fine.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2016, 06:55:37 AM
Quote from: mongers on July 21, 2016, 06:26:36 PMMust be a fun sort of ride those 29ers (? my assumption).

It's a 26" but with 80mm rims and 4 inch tyres

Quote from: mongers on July 21, 2016, 06:26:36 PMKudos for building a new wheel, I had a mate who was a natural genius at doing building and truing wheels, me not at all.

Also you've reminded me I've a ton of bike maintenance to do, or should I just prevaricate and go on an evening ride tomorrow instead?  :blush:

My wheel held up fine on a 30km ride today, but the bottom bracket gave a ticking sound at each pedal turn, more maintenance coming up! But tbh, with the weather being this nice it's hard to stay home fixing a bike when I've two others that work just fine.

Good news on the wheel you've now got a new skill, just don't mention it too much to mates!

I've had a clicking noise from one bottom bracket for about 3-4,000 miles now, I guess I need to do it, but like you the weather is against it.

Plus it's so corroded down there, I risk trashing the frame.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's going to destroy the bracket but it annoys me.

And, ugh, I hate loosening anything on older bikes. Ride through it :P

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 22, 2016, 11:04:36 AM
Yeah, it doesn't sound like it's going to destroy the bracket but it annoys me.

And, ugh, I hate loosening anything on older bikes. Ride through it :P

Yeah wise council, just need to do another 1,500 miles and then I'll be happy to tackle the job/trash the bike trying.  :D

Liep

After enjoying watching it rain in France outside in sunny Denmark I tackled the problem head on. Found nothing wrong with the bracket (one of those new ones you can't/shouldn't open :()but the chain ring had a little sway so my theory is that the chain caught on the front derailleur each time the chain ring bulged out so I adjusted the front derailleur. Will test tomorrow.

Maladict

So, I made it. Last day consisted of unexpectedly cold temperatures caused by a 2.5 hour long downpour in the early morning, followed by blistering heat in the afternoon.
Going by number of dropouts this was the hardest edition ever.

That said, it is an unbelievable experience. It's basically a 200km long party. After the 4 AM sendoff by thousand of drunk students and teenagers, when you get to the first villages around 5 the locals are up and partying in the street. Half a million people flood into the city on the last day to watch the final stretch to the finish line and then party some more in the evening. I opted out of that part as I couldn't move much (at all) anyway.

Did stick around to see the final stragglers come in. A woman who must have been at least 80 was dragged over the finish line by bystanders two minutes before the cutoff time. Good stuff.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 23, 2016, 09:51:04 AM
So, I made it. Last day consisted of unexpectedly cold temperatures caused by a 2.5 hour long downpour in the early morning, followed by blistering heat in the afternoon.
Going by number of dropouts this was the hardest edition ever.

That said, it is an unbelievable experience. It's basically a 200km long party. After the 4 AM sendoff by thousand of drunk students and teenagers, when you get to the first villages around 5 the locals are up and partying in the street. Half a million people flood into the city on the last day to watch the final stretch to the finish line and then party some more in the evening. I opted out of that part as I couldn't move much (at all) anyway.

Did stick around to see the final stragglers come in. A woman who must have been at least 80 was dragged over the finish line by bystanders two minutes before the cutoff time. Good stuff.

Wow, well done Mal.  :cheers:

Genuinely an epic experience.   :cool:

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on July 21, 2016, 08:41:40 PM
Congrats!

You have to update us on when the last signs of blisters go away. My hunch is it will be a long long time.  :P

Blisters are a minor inconvenience

lustindarkness

Dammit Mal, I was going to complain about my morning run.  <_<

Congrats.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: Maladict on July 07, 2016, 12:57:38 PM
It's not that epic really, it's just that I'm not very good at endurance stuff.
This is it, 4x50km two weeks from now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Four_Days_Marches_Nijmegen

I did that when I was stationed in Germany. Great time.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".