News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: PDH on August 30, 2016, 07:24:33 PM
Last weekend my nephew and I made it to the Summit of Medicine Bow Peak.  Only 12,000 feet, but a nice view when we got there.  I should have done more of this when I was young.

Good stuff PDH. :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 10, 2016, 09:53:05 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 09:43:05 AM
I found this on page 4.

So I have a question to legbiter: how many pull ups should I be able to do and how much should I be able to bench (as a percent of body weight) to stop being a kind and sensitive person or the insult of the moment?

Three pull ups.

(at least I hope that's the answer, I start to loose form by 4 :()

Yeah, but you did a stint (more than a stint) in the military with a few deployments to some unkind places. By any reasonable standard, I have a higher threshold to reach to avoid being a kind and sensitive person.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Popped out to the beach late this afternoon, 25 mile trip, I didn't bother hurrying on the way back, yet despite a headwind, took only about 30 seconds longer than the way there.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on September 10, 2016, 12:31:11 PM
I found this on page 4.

So I have a question to legbiter: how many pull ups should I be able to do and how much should I be able to bench (as a percent of body weight) to stop being a kind and sensitive person or the insult of the moment?

Depends on your fitness level but in benching for instance it's what you personally can lift with good form. You do you, and with good food and sleep the gainz will follow. Same with pull ups. You can increase your strength fairly easily with consistent training.

That said, here are some numbers on the bench.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/BenchStandards.html

A program with the 4 classic lifts of bench press, back squat, deadlift and overhead press will give you very good value for your time.  :thumbsup:

This was a reasonable answer. Damn it Legbiter, that isn't what I was looking for. I was hoping you would say some pull up and bench numbers I can't reach, so I would have a motivation target to stop being a kind and sensitive person.  :P

Also, squats suck. Deadlifts too, but less so. I'm not knocking their value as exercises, I'm just saying it is real easy to decide, "I'll work on other stuff today."  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

lustindarkness

Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 02:13:45 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on September 10, 2016, 09:53:05 AM
I found this on page 4.

Three pull ups.

(at least I hope that's the answer, I start to loose form by 4 :()

Yeah, but you did a stint (more than a stint) in the military with a few deployments to some unkind places. By any reasonable standard, I have a higher threshold to reach to avoid being a kind and sensitive person.  :P

The funny thing is, had I not been in the military, my shoulder would not be so fucked up and I would be able to do many many pull ups. My recommendation to you. Do more of them than you think you can, and then do some more. Often.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

I finally hit 80 kg.
Though I think I'm on the way back up again.
Luckily I have two weekends away this month. That should knock me back below the barrier.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 02:20:23 PMAlso, squats suck. Deadlifts too, but less so. I'm not knocking their value as exercises, I'm just saying it is real easy to decide, "I'll work on other stuff today."  :P

:D

Most men in our age cohort have basically given up and are some version of overweight/obese or skinnyfat twinks. Weight training, lowish carbs and intermittent fasting will earn you a top 5% body and excellent general health that has tremendously positive effects on all other aspects of your life. And it's fun to do as well.

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on September 10, 2016, 03:23:57 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 02:20:23 PMAlso, squats suck. Deadlifts too, but less so. I'm not knocking their value as exercises, I'm just saying it is real easy to decide, "I'll work on other stuff today."  :P

Most men in our age cohort have basically given up and are some version of overweight/obese or skinnyfat twinks. Weight training, lowish carbs and intermittent fasting will earn you a top 5% body and excellent general health that has tremendously positive effects on all other aspects of your life. And it's fun to do as well.

Running is my thing, but since I broke my ankle I've shifted a lot of that time to weights. So basically I've always tried to be balanced, and both run and hit weights, but after running for 45-50 minutes it is really easy to skip weights. Now I'm trying to exercise bike and hit weights, and the opposite is happening--I hit weights and skip the dreaded exercise bike.

When I can run again hopefully I'll find a happier medium, with a decent strength base that I'm building now.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on September 10, 2016, 08:43:33 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 10, 2016, 03:23:57 PM

Running is my thing, but since I broke my ankle I've shifted a lot of that time to weights. So basically I've always tried to be balanced, and both run and hit weights, but after running for 45-50 minutes it is really easy to skip weights. Now I'm trying to exercise bike and hit weights, and the opposite is happening--I hit weights and skip the dreaded exercise bike.

When I can run again hopefully I'll find a happier medium, with a decent strength base that I'm building now.

It's been years since you ran over your foot. Is it still that fucked up?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

You should focus on the cardio, so you'll be both healthy and non-threatening. :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 11, 2016, 04:53:19 AM
You should focus on the cardio, so you'll be both healthy and non-threatening. :sleep:

I really need to focus on both, but once I can run I'll probably go more toward cardio.

I'm never going to be a body builder or threatening--I'm 6'1 and weigh 144.

Legbiter

Quote from: alfred russel on September 11, 2016, 11:07:10 AMI'm never going to be a body builder or threatening--I'm 6'1 and weigh 144.

You've got quite some room to fill out.

alfred russel

Legbiter, it really comes down to fitness goals. I'm interested in running races, rock climbing, and hiking with occasional mountaineering. Adding 25 pounds of muscle to my upper body--in addition to requiring a ton of work and almost definitely not being feasible--is also probably counterproductive to what I'm doing.

My primary climbing partner is a beast--weighs just over 140, i think he is 5'6 or 5'7, can bench 225, and i've seen him knock out a set of 23 pull ups midway through a workout. A climbing coach actually told him that he should drop weight--all the upper body weight he is carrying in his chest is not helping him. Keep in mind his fat percentage is super low--the advice here is to drop muscle. Which he is refusing to do.

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on September 11, 2016, 11:50:02 AM
Legbiter, it really comes down to fitness goals. I'm interested in running races, rock climbing, and hiking with occasional mountaineering. Adding 25 pounds of muscle to my upper body--in addition to requiring a ton of work and almost definitely not being feasible--is also probably counterproductive to what I'm doing.

My primary climbing partner is a beast--weighs just over 140, i think he is 5'6 or 5'7, can bench 225, and i've seen him knock out a set of 23 pull ups midway through a workout. A climbing coach actually told him that he should drop weight--all the upper body weight he is carrying in his chest is not helping him. Keep in mind his fat percentage is super low--the advice here is to drop muscle. Which he is refusing to do.

I guess in part it's still about a vanity project for him.

AR, I think you've got the most efficient approach this.

For myself, the decline continues.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

To be fair though, if i could bench 225, i wouldnt want to drop muscle mass to cut weight to climb better.  :P

mongers, if you dont mind me asking, how old are you? from memory of your pictures, i dont think so old.