News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2016, 05:57:25 PM
To be fair though, if i could bench 225, i wouldnt want to drop muscle mass to cut weight to climb better.  :P

mongers, if you dont mind me asking, how old are you? from memory of your pictures, i dont think so old.

:hmm:

I had to think about that, soon to enter my 54 winter. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

that isnt too old. a buddy of mine is 5 years older and cranking out triathlons. a couple i climbed rainier with were 59 and just finished climbing all high points in the lower 48 states in 18 months. no excuses. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on September 16, 2016, 06:11:42 PM
that isnt too old. a buddy of mine is 5 years older and cranking out triathlons. a couple i climbed rainier with were 59 and just finished climbing all high points in the lower 48 states in 18 months. no excuses. :)

:cool:

Indeed a fine example, though probably more so to you than me.  :D

mongers

Did 50 km of mixed road and noodly off-road stuff out into Dorset this evening, nice little trip.  :bowler:

crazy canuck

Played in a charity basketball tournament on Saturday.  I was told it would be two games played on cross courts (so basically a shorter and narrower playing area) against mainly people about my age.  Now it is true that the first two games were played on cross courts but the teams were essentially 20 somethings and some of which had been varsity players.  But then we made the semi finals and finals both of which were played full court.  I am still stiff and sore  :D

On the bright side I am down to 248  :)

We lost in the final but the victory was in being able to actually make it to my shower and then collapse in my bed after it was all over  :D

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 26, 2016, 09:35:03 AM
Played in a charity basketball tournament on Saturday.  I was told it would be two games played on cross courts (so basically a shorter and narrower playing area) against mainly people about my age.  Now it is true that the first two games were played on cross courts but the teams were essentially 20 somethings and some of which had been varsity players.  But then we made the semi finals and finals both of which were played full court.  I am still stiff and sore  :D

On the bright side I am down to 248  :)

We lost in the final but the victory was in being able to actually make it to my shower and then collapse in my bed after it was all over  :D

:cool:

That's not so nice hard exercise for an old'un.   :P

mongers

The slow down for Autumn and Winter begins; lots of little walks planned for the darkened months.

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2016, 03:25:25 PM
The slow down for Autumn and Winter begins; lots of little walks planned for the darkened months.

Yeah, I have retired my bike for the season.  The days are now too short and I hate riding in the dark.  I have to find something to replace all that great cardio I was getting.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2016, 05:47:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 29, 2016, 11:01:00 AM
Basketball?

too much risk of injury.

Are you a lawyer or something?  :P

I understand though. Being hurt sucks.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2016, 09:23:39 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2016, 03:25:25 PM

Yeah, I have retired my bike for the season.  The days are now too short and I hate riding in the dark.  I have to find something to replace all that great cardio I was getting.

Yeah, I'm cutting back, just need to bodge-up up a mud bike for the winter conditions to enable shopping trips etc.

Have you considered fast walking?

When I finished to day  I took a bus out of the city to some archaeology, had a wander around and then walked the 2.5-3 miles back into the city at a hefty pace, so as to catch a bus home.

Add to a couple of miles walking in the city, I think it's not a bad form of exercise, if done forcefully, arms a swinging etc.  :D

alfred russel

Swimming. Especially in Canada in winter. You go to an indoor pool and after being used to seeing women bundled up, seeing fit women training in bathing suits will provide a third leg to propel you through the water.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2016, 05:47:13 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on September 29, 2016, 11:01:00 AM
Basketball?

too much risk of injury.

Free weights with cardio afterwards? Since you know what you're doing you could, for instance, run a relaxed 5/3/1 with whatever accessory work you thought was fun.

http://www.strengthstandards.co/

Just input your numbers, select which program you want run and the site will generate a schedule for you. :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.