And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2016, 06:17:40 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 17, 2016, 06:14:38 PM
After breaking my ankle July 3, I"ve been hitting the gym regularly (only 1 rest day since July 6), and doing a hand bike to try to keep up cardio, but I think i'm fucked. I'm supposed to be starting a mountaineering trip on August 8. My ankle is healing super fast, I've been taking off my air cast and walking / limping this weekend without much pain, but I can't really effectively train. I still want to give the trip a go.

AR, I was going to ask you for an update.

Sounds like good progress, maybe 20 days is doable? Good luck.

I think the ankle will be okay--I couldn't have hoped for it to heal more quickly. Every day it seems to get significantly better. But the guy I'm going mountaineering with spent the day going uphill with a 65 pound pack to train. I'd have been doing something similar. One month of barely moving my lower leg is going to be a big problem.

Just for the heck of it I tried indoor climbing today using just one leg (the other I kept away from the wall and in an aircast). Obviously didn't do anything hard, but even the easy stuff seemed hard.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

lustindarkness

I went to give the new Chief Selects a little moral support and motivation this morning, they did not expect a retired Chief to show up at 0500 and run them into the ground. :)

But please don't tell them just how much I am hurting now, OK? Thanks. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 17, 2016, 06:29:14 PM
I went to give the new Chief Selects a little moral support and motivation this morning, they did not expect a retired Chief to show up at 0500 and run them into the ground. :)

Awesome. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Maladict

Finished the second day, there's a butcher's shop inside my shoes.
Yesterday was unexpectedly bad because of the heat, today was even worse at 35 degrees.
I have so many blisters between my toes I could pass for a rural Pennsylvanian.

Brazen

Quote from: alfred russel on July 17, 2016, 06:31:49 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 17, 2016, 06:29:14 PM

Awesome. :)
Way to show the youngsters :D

I'm just sitting here stuffing my face with junk and watching my waistline grow. I just can't get back into it. Doing a lot of travelling and long hours for work, which isn't helping. Nor is the fact the UK is yet to discover air conditioning.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 20, 2016, 08:38:32 AM
Yesterday was unexpectedly bad because of the heat, today was even worse at 35 degrees.

Good grief man, epic stuff.  :cool:

Should we pray for you tomorrow? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Why do you need to do this when it is so hot? Can you start at 2 in the morning?

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on July 20, 2016, 11:42:09 AM

Why do you need to do this when it is so hot? Can you start at 2 in the morning?

We start at 4. The shorter distances start later and were moved to an earlier time because it's for old people and kids. But it's supposed to be a challenge, so I'm glad they didn't compromise too much.

Valmy

Wait did a Dutchman just make a Pennsylvania Dutch joke? Woah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Our office formed its own soccer team and joined a league (Alstom United! :w00t:).  We're about as good as you'd expect a team composed entirely of middle-aged engineers to be.  To make matters worse some of our team (the players from Brazil) takes their community education soccer far too seriously.  It's going to be a long season.

I must not have gotten enough potassium yesterday because my legs cramped up something fierce after running under the hot Florida sun for a few minutes.  :pinch:  I could barely walk after practice yesterday, it still hurts today.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Did the longest stretch of singletrack I've done in a while, 20km. The 30km ride back and forth to the forest was hard too, those fat tyres are not meant for asphalt.

Also, I received my new hub for the city bike and I built my first wheel, it was tiresome truing it but overall okay when using a guide. I messed up the spoke placement around the valve hole though.
I'll await using the :showoff: smiley until I've taken it for a ride without dying horribly. ;)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2016, 01:00:34 PM

Wait did a Dutchman just make a Pennsylvania Dutch joke? Woah.

Alas,  unintended. As far as I'm concerned all of Pennsylvania outside the two main cities qualifies.

Maladict

Third day done, wasn't a pretty sight at times.
Just had my feet all bandaged up, off to bed.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 21, 2016, 01:54:48 PM
Third day done, wasn't a pretty sight at times.
Just had my feet all bandaged up, off to bed.

:cool:

Good luck tomorrow.

mongers

Quote from: Liep on July 21, 2016, 11:32:28 AM
Did the longest stretch of singletrack I've done in a while, 20km. The 30km ride back and forth to the forest was hard too, those fat tyres are not meant for asphalt.

Also, I received my new hub for the city bike and I built my first wheel, it was tiresome truing it but overall okay when using a guide. I messed up the spoke placement around the valve hole though.
I'll await using the :showoff: smiley until I've taken it for a ride without dying horribly. ;)

Must be a fun sort of ride those 29ers (? my assumption). 

Kudos for building a new wheel, I had a mate who was a natural genius at doing building and truing wheels, me not at all.

Also you've reminded me I've a ton of bike maintenance to do, or should I just prevaricate and go on an evening ride tomorrow instead?  :blush: