News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2016, 11:53:46 PM
So after a month of RunKeeper, I switched over to Zombies, Run!  Was enjoyable.  With RunKeeper I kept checking my phone, but Zombies just encouraged me to ignore time/distance and keep running.  The story after Ep I was pretty basic, but it was something to keep you interested.

And without even knowing that I'd do it, I passed the 5k barrier, running 5.4k tonight.
Told you! And everyone else I know.

lustindarkness

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 13, 2016, 10:21:45 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on March 23, 2016, 01:28:12 PM
My Achilles tendon is slowly healing. I can now walk again 30 minutes nonstop without wishing a sasquash riding a t-rex in a sharknado took me out of my misery. Maybe I should have gone to a doctor. :unsure:

Yesterday I ran (more like a slow jog and walk) an easy trail for the first time in forever. :w00t: And I am not in pain today! :yeah:

I think may be back to my element, just need to continue to take it easy and slowly build up again.

What was supposed to be a slow easy short one or two mile max trail run after work turned into 4.7 miles. I shall report back tomorrow morning. :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2016, 03:17:10 PM
One of my best friends hurt her knee a few weeks ago. She tried to keep climbing, but it kept getting worse. She went to the doctor, and she tore her ACL and MCL.

Sucks for her. Everyone was telling her to go to the doctor a while back, and she told me, "I don't want to go to the doctor because what if they say it is serious? Outside of work, my whole life is climbing, hiking, and running." I get where she is coming from.

I went to dinner with her tonight. She said that:

a) because surgery is in two weeks, and she has to have surgery anyway, she is going to climb tomorrow (a group of us normally climb Tuesday and Thursday) because what more harm can it do?
b) she plans to climb when her leg is in a cast with just one leg.
c) I have a competition with her because we are at roughly the same level. She said she will not accept me becoming a better climber than her while she is out of the game for six months. She is going to lift weights to get stronger, and climb with one leg, so when she comes back she will be stronger than ever and having two legs to use will feel like cheating.

I like her attitude. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

I've pretty much given up on soda.  That's sort of a fitness thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Yesterday, for the first time in the present decade, a female member of the species without blood ties to me complimented my physical appearance.  :hmm:

I'm 5 kg away from my 2016 target (99 kg).

lustindarkness

No Achilles pain this morning. :yeah:  Some soreness in my calf, need some more conditioning to get my legs back in shape.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2016, 11:15:40 PM
I've pretty much given up on soda.  That's sort of a fitness thing.

Yeah, it's a pretty good step if you can keep it up, especially given the cultural assumption that it's normal to drink it.

So it's a good beginning set to get control of your diet, a good one being one of the foundations to build fitness on. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2016, 10:36:03 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 23, 2016, 03:17:10 PM
One of my best friends hurt her knee a few weeks ago. She tried to keep climbing, but it kept getting worse. She went to the doctor, and she tore her ACL and MCL.

Sucks for her. Everyone was telling her to go to the doctor a while back, and she told me, "I don't want to go to the doctor because what if they say it is serious? Outside of work, my whole life is climbing, hiking, and running." I get where she is coming from.

I went to dinner with her tonight. She said that:

a) because surgery is in two weeks, and she has to have surgery anyway, she is going to climb tomorrow (a group of us normally climb Tuesday and Thursday) because what more harm can it do?
b) she plans to climb when her leg is in a cast with just one leg.
c) I have a competition with her because we are at roughly the same level. She said she will not accept me becoming a better climber than her while she is out of the game for six months. She is going to lift weights to get stronger, and climb with one leg, so when she comes back she will be stronger than ever and having two legs to use will feel like cheating.

I like her attitude. :)

Hardcore; sounds a bit like some of the climbers I used to know.

Maladict

alfred russel

I realize posting this may be a major faux pas. :)

So I was just at a climbing gym. After climbing, I hung around to work out--they have a bare bones set of equipment that very few people use. They only have one bench, and unusually today someone was using it when I wanted to get on it. No problem, so I was waiting.

And that is when I noticed the guy was benching 20 pound dumb bells. The guy was overweight, but not obese. Maybe 5-7 200 pounds. Looked to be mid 20s or so. I hadn't seen him in there before.

Credit to the guy for trying. I have to think he is some distance from being able to do a pushup.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

After weeks of bronchial tube suffering I have actually been biking for the last 2 weeks.  This weekend I did 2 rounds of 20 mile round trips at 16.8 mph and 17.1 mph.

I feel rather good for doing that, though on the first I did have a coughing fit 3/4 of the way through and managed to barf up all the water I took on board...that is the legacy of 3 bouts of bronchitis I had in my later 20s and early 30s, the tubes are a bit scarred from that...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

103 kg. Getting close!

Legbiter

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 04:49:12 AM
103 kg. Getting close!

You'll get there, no worries. Just keep on lifting and eating well. :thumbsup: In fact you probably should not be setting specific goals in such a manner because that just means that you already exist in a state of pre-failure which can then demoralize you when the gains fail to turn up when you think they should.

Setting goals is for losers.  ^_^

But good job nontheless. You'll be a beast after 3 more years of steady lifting. This is just the end of the beginning.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 05, 2016, 07:53:13 PM
After weeks of bronchial tube suffering I have actually been biking for the last 2 weeks.  This weekend I did 2 rounds of 20 mile round trips at 16.8 mph and 17.1 mph.

I feel rather good for doing that, though on the first I did have a coughing fit 3/4 of the way through and managed to barf up all the water I took on board...that is the legacy of 3 bouts of bronchitis I had in my later 20s and early 30s, the tubes are a bit scarred from that...

Good work, not too shabby.

Sorry about the lung problem, I've been pretty luck as regarding long term problems like that, so there's no excuse for me not getting out this evening.  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on June 06, 2016, 05:25:31 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2016, 04:49:12 AM
103 kg. Getting close!

You'll get there, no worries. Just keep on lifting and eating well. :thumbsup: In fact you probably should not be setting specific goals in such a manner because that just means that you already exist in a state of pre-failure which can then demoralize you when the gains fail to turn up when you think they should.

Setting goals is for losers.  ^_^

But good job nontheless. You'll be a beast after 3 more years of steady lifting. This is just the end of the beginning.

Thanks for the support  :thumbsup: The "less than 100kg" thing has been a personal goal of mine for quite a while, I haven't weighed that in a decade or so. 18 months ago I was at 117. I'm more of a "steady does the trick" guy instead of obsessing about it, but seeing it so near is actually quite motivating.

I never thought I could find myself in the best form of my life in my late 30s. But then again "the best form of my life" was a bit of a low bar  :lol: